Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Kitchen Love: The Women

A couple of weekends ago Jon had to go into work for a couple of hours. Now I could have taken that time to get a get a start on laundry, make the bed or unload the dishwasher, but I decided it would be best to stay in bed and watch The Women.




Yes I know I’m a bit late to the party. I never saw it before, because I had heard numerous horrible reviews, but I still wanted to know how bad, bad was.




Ok so it’s not wonderful, but I watched the whole thing and enjoyed bits and pieces. I must say though that the thing I enjoyed the most was seeing Meg Ryan’s character Mary’s kitchen.




I never in a million years thought I would say that I enjoyed brass and wood paneling, but in this kitchen it works.




DSC02921



Mary’s life is a bit hectic and the kitchen reflects her lifestyle. There are spices, mail, plates, etc all about the kitchen making it feel very lived in and real.




DSC02922

I love the open shelving and the kitchen island that is not centered in the kitchen, but off to the side.




DSC02924



Opposite the wall of the stove is a wall filled with a gallery wall. That’s notsomething you normally see in a kitchen, but again it works. I love all the mix-matched frames and oil paintings.




DSC02927

From the view in the hallway you can see that there is a pantry/butler room section before you enter the kitchen. The space as the same cabinets, knobs and countertops, but the backs of the cabinets are painted peacock blue.



DSC02929



It also houses this amazing farm sink!



DSC02928



All in all the movie was rather blah, but this kitchen kept me going, because it kept making appearances. It would be so easy to make so adjustments to a standard builder grade white kitchen and get this look.




Just switch out your knobs to brass:




Click to enlarge



Pick up some pine planking and stain it to choice of darkness. This would be a less expensive option then tiling all of your backsplash so that is an added plus!







You could add a little more character by painting the backs of the glass cabinets with a pop of blue!






To fill up an oil painting gallery wall I would head to my local thrift stores and see what I could find or search ebay for finds like this.

It’s also good to search for vintage paint by numbers as well.







I think with a few simple tweaks you could turn your kitchen into a warm and homey country retreat like the kitchen featured above.




Are there any other movie kitchen sets that make you weak in the knees?




Spill please!

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger MFAMB said...

i agree. suck ass movie. gorgeous kitchen. i love your tips!

October 27, 2009 at 12:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How fantastic! I love it when kitchens actually have a "lived in" look. It's lovely.

Thank you, by the way, for yesterday's sweet comment. I loved your Pumpkin creation-so smart and stylish!

October 27, 2009 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

Unlike Jenny, I liked the movie. Then again I love those mindless girlie movies that are just there to entertain and keep me busy haha.

I have to say I loved the outside of her house, the brick with the gravel driveway- it was all very pretty!

October 27, 2009 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger Soma Pradhan said...

"The movie was blah, but the kitchen kept me going."

I love love love that line!

I was drowning in beauty watching Atonement, but afterward I felt like I needed a bath the movie was so terrible.

Haha! Is this a type of insanity? :D

October 27, 2009 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

Actually really loved that movie... Great post (I need to go back and look at the Kitchen!)

October 27, 2009 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger Linda Merrill said...

The movie was pretty awful - which was too bad because it had an excellent cast! And the sets were all great. I also blogged on this a while ago. My upholsterer made the headboard that's in Meg Ryan's bedroom!

October 27, 2009 at 1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

must be a common trend - I didn't like the movie Nights in Rodanthe but I loved the kitchen in the inn. I actually have a post on my blog back in August about it.

October 27, 2009 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger Fargerike Dagny said...

I remember being so put off by Meg Ryan and how crazy botoxed she looked during that movie that I completely forgot to look at the decor. Cute kitchen though! :D

October 27, 2009 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

You may not have sold me on the storyline, but the kitchen is pretty.

October 27, 2009 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

It's official. I'm obsessed with the idea of painting the inside of cabinetry! Looove that sink! Another good kitchen is on "Something's Gotta Give." That whole house is amazing!

October 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM  
Blogger Design A-Peele said...

I LOVE beadboard in a kitchen. I have it in mine and it makes the plain white pop and look a little more special. Great observation from the movie!

October 28, 2009 at 7:49 AM  
Blogger Dumbwit Tellher said...

Great tips to get this terrific kitchen appeal. I wanted to love this movie but it did suck. I still love the kitchen in "Something's Gotta Give". The classic feel good space.

October 28, 2009 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger paula said...

Somethings gotta give and the holiday both have stunning kitchens.

October 28, 2009 at 12:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the idea of the pine plank!!! that's so awesome! I need to revamp my kitchen, and that might be an affordable option!

October 28, 2009 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger Sarah Ring said...

Have not seen the movie for the same reasons, I heard it was cheesy! LOL, glad you find something beautiful about the film despite the reviews!

October 28, 2009 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger Devon said...

I felt the same way! Crappy movie, great house and kitchen. Thanks for the pics. I stowed them away for some basement inspiration.

October 28, 2009 at 5:13 PM  
Anonymous Jack said...

Hey ladies, I thought you might find Your Home Supply to be a really useful site for finding that brass hardware. They have a great selection of brass finishes and great prices. Can't beat that!

I love the way that kitchen looks, like contemporary country. I thought I might share that little link to help anyone interested in finding brass cabinet hardware. I think you'll find what you're looking for. Cheers!

March 14, 2011 at 11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home