Friday, October 16, 2009

IN HER SHOES: INSIDE THE LOOP

My latest featured lady really needs no introduction. She is the voice behind Inside the Loop and Shrimp and Petroleum. Courtney is blog royalty. Not only does she have an amazing following with both of her blogs, but even Lucky magazine took notice and did a feature on her.

 



To me she is the definition of effortless style. She has the best taste and sense of style and is always more than eager to share it will all.

 



She is also an amazing friend. She was the first person ever to comment on my blog and for that she will  always have a place in my heart. When I asked her to share a day in her life she jumped at the chance and got me all the info in a flash.

 



Due to some bad planning on my side I wasn’t able to post this right away. So sorry about that Court!

 



Please sit back, relax and enjoy a day in Courtney’s life from 3 weeks ago.



___________________________________________



I'm pretty much living in the future since we're 12 hours ahead of everyone back home, so I thought I'd share just how great Friday will be!



7:15AM: Wake up, roll over and wish husband a Good Morning. He's extra sluggish today so I do some steam rolling and tickling and he gets up and at 'em. Grab my morning juice, aka the laptop, and check emails. I'm an avid morning and night emailer since we've moved to Malaysia; it's the only time I can catch my favorite people online!

 



8:30AM: We share a car so I do lots of carpooling. Drop JJ off at work and head to yoga. Three days a week I work out with a few friends and do a little bit of stretching and a LOT of laughing!

 



10:30AM:

 



cbbreakfast



Meet JJ for Teh Tarik and Roti Bakar. I have no doubt butter, kaya and bread is counterproductive to my workout, but oh well. We meet for "brunch" at this little hole-in-the-wall at least once a week and it's my absolute favorite! And judging by husband's face, it's his favorite, too [if you read my blog, you have seen this face before. I finished my entire mug of teh tarik—Malaysian black tea with condensed milk—and my innards are now bouncing off their walls!

 



jjbreakfast



11:30AM:

Head home, shower, dress and get cracking. I write a monthly column for a magazine that's sent to all Americans living in Kuala Lumpur. My November article on cocktails made from local fruits is due in a few days and I'm still in "research" mode. Truth be told, this is the best phase of them all when dealing with hard-hitting cocktail journalism. I make a list and hit the stores.

 



Noon: Went to the grocery yesterday and requested figs from the friendly owners. They arrived today and are positively gorgeous! I refrain from buying the entire lot as I pick up four of the beauties, along with some fresh mint, and I'm out the door.

 



1:00PM: Still need local rambutans and mangosteens so I run to Puda wet market. Quickly make the rounds and annoyingly can't find what I need anywhere! I'm going to have to call the "van lady" to see if she can round some up for me. Bonus of van lady: curbside delivery! I spot my shrimp vendor as I'm heading out and her stall is teeming with gorgeous shrimp. No way can this Louisiana girl pass that up! Her prices certainly aren't the biggest steal by Kuala Lumpur standards, but it's not too shabby when you have four happy helpers offering their peeling services. I quickly nab 2 kilos and have them packed on ice for the hot ride home.

 



courtneyshrimp  

2:15PM: Head to the rooftop deck and water the plants. It's afternoon sun and I'm likely to kill my darling plants, but I can never remember in the morning.

 



courtneyrooftop

 



I grin at my tacky lil' gnome who reminds me of home—and that's always a welcomed moment around here!

 



courteygnome



3:00PM: It's Friday during a short work week [Monday and Tuesday were public holidays] and because it's a slow week, JJ finishes up a bit early. He's in need of new swimming goggles, so I pick him up and drive to Suria KLCC, a shopping mall inside the famous Petronas Towers.



jjgoogles That took all of 5 minutes, so we grabbed fresh squeezed juices and chilled. I'm currently obsessed with green apple and lime. Slurp!

 



courtneyjuice  

4:45PM: Look up and notice we're having a super special blue sky moment, so I couldn't resist snapping a shot of the Towers. Our sky is perpetually white, smoggy and hazy, so this is certainly a rarity.



courtneytowers



5:15PM: Take sweet Burks for a walk around the block and my mood is instantly lifted. She all but turns backflips when I grab the leash for a little walk. How can you resist that freckly face?



burks



5:45PM: Well, I've made it past 5, so it's high time to test my "research." Whip up the clove simple syrup and puree fresh figs. The fig and clove mojito is a winner and I wonder how it will stand up to tomorrow's strawberry, lemongrass, vodka number. I'm not a lush; I'm merely testing them for the article's sake. Sort of my friendly civic duty if you will.



courtneyfigs



6:30PM: We de-vein and skewer some of the fresh shrimp and throw them on the pit with grapefruit, Thai spices and a dash of Tony's [you don't think I'd leave that out, do you?]. Now I'm off to get the side dishes going, jot down notes about the mojito and kick up my leopardy feet .  Happy Weekend!

 



courtneyshoes  



PS - Today I literally ran all over the city's markets, malls and more, so I have to tout these sandals I won on Camila’s fab contest. Thanks to Chickdowntown's generosity, they are some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn and I haven't taken them off for a solid week now. My feet are happily spoiled rotten!



image ___________________________________________

 



A big thanks to Ms. Courtney! I loved reading about your day and all the adventures you are having in your new home! How great are JJ and Burks for posing for those shots. Love it!

 



I was so excited when you won the give away, because  I was certain you were going to get an abundance of use with them. I hope they keep you company the entire time you are abroad.

 



Know that all us stateside heart you very much and are so happy that you are taking us along for the ride!

 



To check out more IN HER SHOES features click here.

 



Stay tuned for my Rubie Green event recap with pictures!!!

Labels:

24 Comments:

Blogger Averill said...

Courtney's blog was one of the first blogs I started reading (she was in Houston at the time and that's my hometown) and I've loved seeing her transition to life as an ex-pat.

Happy weekend!

October 16, 2009 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love Courtney! She was also one of my first blog friends since we are fellow Houstonians. She looks as cute as ever! That girl has serious style! Miss you, Court! :)

October 16, 2009 at 12:57 PM  
Blogger April Pantall said...

Loved reading about Courtney - it seems she has quite the busy life :)

October 16, 2009 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Aww Courtney! This is great! She's so adorable and stylish! A day in her shoes is pretty fun in Malaysia! :) xx

ps, I want to pop in for dinner and drinks at your house Court!!! :)

October 16, 2009 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger alison giese Interiors said...

I read Shrimp & Petroleum - so strange - we lived on the same street in Houston - waaaay before blogs were part of my life - and now we both live overseas, so I'm always interested (and can relate to) her forays.
She IS precious, isn't she?

October 16, 2009 at 1:35 PM  
Blogger MFAMB said...

never read her blog before but i certainly will now. thanks! how cute is that dog?

October 16, 2009 at 1:55 PM  
Blogger evencleveland said...

Courtney is so awesome - she seems to have a knack of making the world a happy place.

October 16, 2009 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

What an awesome day- I so wish I get the chance to move abroad with my BF like Courtney did. It looks like an amazing time!

October 16, 2009 at 3:11 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

I don't know what steam rolling is...but it sounds like fun ;) I want those sandals too, but we have rain here now. Have a good weekend!

October 16, 2009 at 4:04 PM  
Blogger CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

Courtney is adorable, just look at that LSU gnome! And what a fascinating place to live! Another lovely post, Camila!

October 16, 2009 at 4:12 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I love Sam Edelmen shoes...they're dreamy!

October 16, 2009 at 5:02 PM  
Blogger Red Lipstick said...

Courtney is adorable. I had not seen her blog (I'm headed over right now!) but I am certain I have read her column in Lucky.

October 16, 2009 at 6:47 PM  
Blogger Iman said...

She's so adorable. I love reading her blog!!

October 16, 2009 at 8:07 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Thanks so much, Camila, and thanks everyone for all the lovely comments! xx

October 16, 2009 at 9:52 PM  
Blogger annechovie said...

I didn't know that Courtney moved to Malaysia! Fun to read - thanks to you both and have agreat weekend!

October 16, 2009 at 10:35 PM  
Blogger Sarah's Fab Day said...

I always LOVE the In Her Shoes feature and of course LOVE Courtney!

October 16, 2009 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger Devon said...

I adore Courtney's blogs and it was so fun to read about her day. Great post!

October 16, 2009 at 11:26 PM  
Blogger Revival said...

She is so cute and so are those sandals!

October 17, 2009 at 11:30 AM  
Blogger Maria Killam said...

That was so much fun, I'll need to check out her blog next!

October 18, 2009 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I just adore Courtney and have enjoyed reading about what she has been up to in KL. And I agree with Paloma, she has some serious style!

Kylie
xxx

October 18, 2009 at 8:38 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

What a cool life she leads! And "cocktail journalism"...now THAT's an area of writing I need to explore. Love her style and cool sandals, too. Great post!

http://www.firednfabulous.blogspot.com/

October 19, 2009 at 5:42 PM  
Blogger Ellen said...

What a cool life she leads!!! And "cocktail journalism"...now THAT's my kind of writing! Love her style and super-cool sandals too. Great post!

http://www.firednfabulous.blogspot.com/

October 19, 2009 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger Linda Merrill said...

Wow, that's quite an exotic local. Makes Boston seem quite dowdy by comparison! I so enjoy this blog feature!

October 22, 2009 at 11:47 PM  
Blogger Material Girls said...

I LOVE your In Her Shoes series!! We are mentioning your In Her Shoes series in our Weekender newsletter that goes out tomorrow! What a great post on Courtney and how much fun it is to follow all of our other favorite bloggers around as they go about their day!

Emily @ the Material Girls Blog

October 23, 2009 at 12:37 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home