Friday, October 22, 2010

IN HER SHOES: Emily A. Clark

Today's featured lady is a semi new friend that I'm very happy I made. Emily from Emily A. Clark is always full of the sweetest comments, great projects and over all beautiful design inspiration. I got the opportunity to meet her in person during the taping of the Nate show and I'm so happy she came! She is just as sweet in person and absolutely stunning. I can't believe she's a mom of 3! I loved a glimpse into her day with her 3 most important little clients. They are beyond adorable. She truly is a super mom.




When Camila asked me to write a post for the “In Her Shoes” series, I almost laughed out loud. I hope she wasn’t hoping for a glamorous play-by-play of my interior decorating business. I enjoy my projects and blogging, but it’s my first job as a mommy of three that keeps me busiest during the day. . . Here’s how a typical Wednesday goes down around here:

6:00am Alarm clock goes off. I decide looking glamorous isn’t all it’s cracked up to be and hit snooze. I will just wash my hair and forego makeup until later in the day . . . Quick shower and then head downstairs to check my email before I have to wake my oldest up for kindergarten.

7:00am My son is dressed for school and downstairs. I make his lunch while he eats Cocoa Puffs and watches “Little Bill.” (Are anyone else’s kids as obsessed with that show as mine are?) His ride gets here at 7:30 (thank goodness for her!).

7:30am Back upstairs to get dressed and get the girls up. My second oldest goes to pre-school today. I’m rarely alone. The baby will stay at home with me.




9:00am We return home. I make coffee. I check email and look at a few blogs while the baby (my one-year-old) hangs on my arm. I need to finish a project for an online client but that will have to wait. My kids are out of clean socks and underwear. It’s laundry day!




10:30am Folding laundry, checking email, cleaning kitchen and folding more laundry—all with the help of my little one. She has apparently “aged out” of a morning nap. Oh, I also get her off the kitchen counter approximately seven times. She is a monkey.

11:30am Pick my four-year-old up from school and return home to fix their lunch.

12:30pm Get everyone fed and sit down on the couch to eat my lunch and watch approximately 15 minutes of the “Teen Mom” reunion special I tivo’d. This show makes me really sad. . . Why do I keep watching it?

1:00pm Fold more laundry, quickly put on some make-up, get my daughter dressed for dance class.




2:00pm I drop her at dance and go to pick up my little boy from school. We ride with a friend who also has to pick up her little boy from school and has a daughter in dance at the same time. We go to get our Pumpkin Lattes from Dunkin Donuts--a new Wednesday ritual that makes me very happy.




3:30pm Home again. Put the baby down for a nap, and sit at the kitchen counter on my laptop while my older two draw, color, cut, paste. It’s like art class every day around here. Starting to feel stressed about the small amount of online work I’ve gotten done today.


4:30pm Email my husband to see if he will take kids to church by himself tonight while I try to finish this project. He says yes!

5:15pm Start supper. It’s macaroni, micro waved bacon and apple slices. Yes, I’m admitting this. Wednesdays always mean a hodge-podge of whatever I can quickly throw together before we’re out the door again.

5:45pm Husband takes kids to church. House is quiet. What do I do first?

6:00pm Work on finishing idea board for my online client. I’m picky. This is taking a long time. Eat chips and salsa for supper.


8:45pm Still working when my family gets home. All three kids are asleep in the van. My husband brought me a Frosty from Wendy’s.



9:15pm All of the kids are in bed. I’m way too tired to write a blog post. Fortunately, I had written one last week that I never posted. Yay! Make a plan of everything I need to get done tomorrow. Stress out some more, trying to figure out how I’ll get it all done.

11:00pm Go to bed. Can’t stay up any later tonight; I can barely keep my eyes open.
And, so that is a riveting day in the life of yours truly. . . .
Oh, and since it seems to be customary to show the actual shoes you wore that day, here you have it:


Yes, I’m openly admitting I wear these “mommy” Mary-Jane tennis shoes, black socks and all. They are my “working” shoes. (Can you see the spray paint splatter?) I don’t wear them every day, but they’re great for dragging three kids from place to place. And, for all of you young, hip career girls in your cute heels, saying this will never be you. . . Your day will come : )

_____________________________________________________________________________________

A big thanks to Emily for participating. I know how busy you are so it was great for you to carve a little time in for this feature. I must say I'm truly amazed about what Mom's can accomplish in a day. Whether you are a working mom or a stay at home mom you ladies do so much and all with a smile. Totally scared I won't be able to do the same one day. You are all rock stars in my eyes!

****Jon wanted me to hand over the computer to him so he could say a few words:

Hey everyone it's Jon. I just wanted to thank everyone for all of your sweet thoughts on my birthday. I'm glad that you enjoy our projects. I'm sure Camila will be starting a waiting list for all of you ladies that want to hire me out. Perhaps a road trip across America is in my near future? I'm sure you'll be seeing my hairy arms in many future projects to come. Didn't have to work on any last night, but Camila has a nice list for this weekend. JK you know I love her, but seriously we're working on finishing a project this weekend that was my baby from the beginning. I think you'll all love it.

-Jon

Labels:

26 Comments:

Anonymous Kate {domestikatedlife} said...

a husband who brings you a milkshake? that's better than getting flowers!

October 22, 2010 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Deviled Megs said...

I second Kate's comment...I'd take a milkshake over flowers myself :)

October 22, 2010 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger René said...

What a great post. Emily is so real, gotta love that.

-Rene

October 22, 2010 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Becky Holmes said...

I felt like I was almost reading my life. And I would have to agree, after wearing heels for years, now with my 2nd little one on the way, they just don't cut it when you're moving 100 mph on a daily basis for the kiddos!

October 22, 2010 at 10:37 AM  
Blogger Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Love your closing comment about the shoes...I have a faded pink pair of similar shoes that nearly have holes in the soles! Wonderful project shoes that unfortunately see the light of day at the bus stop!

You are one busy girl, I forget how crazy it was with kids at home each day, it does go so fast! You will be amazed at how your life changes when all the kids are in school! It's wonderful and sad all at the same time...why I LOVE summer break!

Janell

October 22, 2010 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Woods said...

I love this post. So real, so true. I have the same feelings and experiences throughout my day too.

October 22, 2010 at 10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love emily's blog and her work! and this makes me miss dunkin coffee sooooooooooooooo much!

October 22, 2010 at 10:57 AM  
Blogger Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said...

Emily is one of my favorite bloggers, and it's probably because she always just is who she is, she just comes across so genuine! Her girls are absolutely beautiful! And her hubby is a keeper for sure, taking the kids to church and a milkshake!! I also love she admitted to eating chips and salsa for dinner!!

October 22, 2010 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, Emily, I love it. I am suddenly feeling so much better about the chaos of my day with toddlers. LOVE the shoes. Mine are a pair of old beat up running shoes. The only hope of them upgrading is for a date night!

October 22, 2010 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger abby jenkins said...

Emily: Wonder Woman.
Emily's Husband: Superman.

October 22, 2010 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Emily, great play by play of your typical day!! Gotta try the pumpkin lattes one of these days! And, you a girl after my own heart - Wendy frostys! Yum!

October 22, 2010 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Erika Ward said...

Love your post Emily! You know I feel you! Looks like your hubby is a great support. Your little angels are beautiful!

October 22, 2010 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

What a busy day! I love the frosty treat! How sweet!

October 22, 2010 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Love this!!!! Girl Im tired just reading it. I have 3 little ones also so I totally relate -especially the laundry. Why cant someone invent tatooed on clothes?

October 22, 2010 at 2:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

great post emily, glad to see you keeping it real. being a mom is busy. fun little post from your hubs Jon, Camilla, looking forward to the project.

October 22, 2010 at 2:23 PM  
Anonymous Laura@JourneyChic said...

So fun to get to know Emily better! Her kids are just adorable. And who would know that such a gorgeous lady kicks around in "mom shoes"? :)

Oh, and a belated happy birthday to your hubby!

October 22, 2010 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger LiveLikeYou said...

So glad I'm not the only one in unglamorous clothes, running back and forth to soccer, school halfway attached to my laptop!! Emily you're right...no one ever thinks it will turn out this way....

October 22, 2010 at 2:52 PM  
Anonymous Maggie Rose said...

I'm a big fan of Emily's blog so it's so fun to see what her day is like. Totally admire her for how much she accomplishes with three little ones at home! And now I'm determined to fit in as much heel-wearing as possible before I have kids ;) And kudos to hubby for the frosty. Yum.

October 22, 2010 at 3:43 PM  
Blogger Alyssa Coberly said...

okay is it totally strange that i just printed off the pic of your daughter to take to my stylist to say THAT COLOR! for my new blonde to brown hair transformation??? hehe

October 22, 2010 at 4:43 PM  
Blogger Emily A. Clark said...

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement! I know there are lots of you out there that have similar--if not more hectic--days.

And, Alyssa, I think it's perfectly normal that you're getting your hair colored like my baby's. Kids have the best natural highlights :)

October 22, 2010 at 5:25 PM  
Blogger Lovin That! said...

I absolutely loved reading this as it shows we all have a similar thread to our days. Thanks for such a great post!

October 22, 2010 at 7:31 PM  
Blogger Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

Emily is so adorable! Man, she is one busy mommy! Kudos to her for showing her shoes...that was a brave act!

xo Jade

October 22, 2010 at 8:09 PM  
Blogger traci zeller designs said...

I adore Emily!! She is SO ADORABLE! Beautiful, sweet, funny and talented! I loved reading this. Thanks, Camila!

October 22, 2010 at 9:15 PM  
Blogger Michelle @ Ten June said...

I love Emily's honesty- and don't worry, I've got an "ugly" pair of paint-splattered work shoes and they are a hideous pair of Crocs! Thanks for sharing, Emily.

PS. I can't get enough of Teen Mom either... I just want to hug each of those girls!!

October 25, 2010 at 9:36 AM  
Blogger Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself said...

i LOVE THE BABY!!! she is too cute for words. i mean, obviously, all the kiddies are, but something about the youngest being attached to their mom's hip always tugs on my heart strings. i think because i constantly hear that I was that third child who wouldn't let go of my mom.

loved this! the milkshake was pretty great. : )

alaina

October 25, 2010 at 10:19 AM  
Blogger L.Duncan@Home23DuncanBoys said...

Best one yet Emily! And I told you that your shoes were going to be similar to mine!

Camilla, I would love to do one of these posts!

October 25, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home