Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Call of the wild

By now you all have to know my love for a little touch of animal print in a room. Normally my go-to animal print is a zebra, but lately I’ve been venturing out and my new addition has to be leopard!



Now I know what you are all thinking. At first thought leopard conjures up images of this:





*Check out the leopard carpet they are all standing on!



The image that changed my mind on this print was in this month’s Harpers Bazaar.



leopard 003

I think you will all agree that the dress is to die for! I loved how big the actual print was!



Here are some examples of how a little touch of leopard can go a long way in interior design.



chrisbenzleopardloftlifemag

{I love how the leopard pillow adds a global yet chic vibe to this room via Loft Life magazine.}



marymcdonaldpeakofchicleopard

{Mary McDonald decide to go all out with her call of the wild and not only used leopard for the sofa, but window treatments as well. Image via Peak of Chic.}



materialgirlsblogleopard

{The use of leopard in the carpeting totally completes this room. It doesn’t distract at all and even acts as a neutral in the room.}



palmerweissleopard

{How amazing does the coloring in the green sofa go with the leopard pillow! I’m in love with this color combo by designer Palmer Weiss it exudes glamour and style all in one.}



westerninteriorsleopard

{This image designed by Betsy Burham Design via Western Interiors has to be my all time favorite! Love the fabric on the window treatments, amazing graphic rug, plus my favorite color orange on all 4 chairs. Those leopard pillows simply look like they belong!}



marianne9



{Leopard is also a good print to remember when designing a room with a masculine touch. I would only go for a toss pillow or two like designer Miles Redd did above. Image via La Dolce Vita.}



janshowersthingsthatinspireleopard

{Don’t forget that leopard comes in other colors as well. So if the tan/brown/black combo isn’t working for then go for a snow leopard instead like designer Jan Showers.}



I’m hoping I’ve inspired all of you to give leopard a chance. A small dose in a pillow or ottoman can add a pop of fun, glam, style, etc to a room.



DSC_0242 (2)



{I recently used a touch of it for a client’s project. They loved it! I was on a budget and purchased my fabric at Joann's for only $9.99 a yard!}



Of course if budget wasn’t a problem I would recommend my favorite leopard print:




{Jackie by Rubie Green}



So, are any of you daring enough to answer the call of the wild?

Labels:

26 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

You are sooo right that a little is a lot when it comes to animal print.

I had to laugh when I saw that Rock of Love picture. My husband and I are going to a Halloween party on Friday and he is going as Brett Michaels. He is so sleazy (Brett, not my man!)

October 28, 2009 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger Kori said...

I absolutely love animal print and am known to wear tops that have the pattern quite often (nothing too Palm Springs old lady I can assure you). My girlfriends give me such a hard time, but it is so vintage and reminds me of the fabulous Hollywood starlets. Great post! Kori xoxo

October 28, 2009 at 5:06 PM  
Blogger Averill said...

A little leopard (or any animal print, really) goes a long way for me. Done right though (a la D&G), it's wonderfully chic and ultra-glam.

Done wrong...well, you're right on about Rock of Love (though I secretly <3 that show!).

October 28, 2009 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger No.35style said...

i love my ralph lauren leopard sheets!

October 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger Kelly @ turned UP to ELEVEN! said...

Truly leopard only looks bad when Rock of Love girls are standing on it, or wearing it ;) LOVELY pictures!

October 28, 2009 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger Maria Johns said...

Camila!! I am fully onboard with the leopard craze. Although, like you, I typically favor zebra there's definantly room for another animal to share the spotlight! great images!

October 28, 2009 at 5:41 PM  
Blogger "Julie" said...

I have ALWAYS loved animal prints, so much so that my best friends make fun of me for it constantly. But now that it's super trendy, they all want to steal pieces out of my closet! One of my favorite non-traditional animal prints is in the Sex and the City movie, Samantha and Smith's light blue and white sheets! Love that you showed animal print in the good way it deserves to be in!

October 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

I love animal prints in very small doses. Unfortunately, they don't go with any decor I currently have in my house.

October 28, 2009 at 5:58 PM  
Blogger alison giese Interiors said...

I'm kind of digging giraffe, too!

October 28, 2009 at 6:06 PM  
Blogger Sarah Ring said...

I love leopard but have yet to use it in any space of my own. It's risky, but so fab when done right!

October 28, 2009 at 6:16 PM  
Blogger Chic Coles said...

Love Leopard! have a collection of great fabric swatches with leopard. Old World Weaver has one of my favorites, Designers Guild also makes a great silver one and in a bunch of other color ways. I collect them.

October 28, 2009 at 6:41 PM  
Blogger MFAMB said...

i am still in a little daze over that emerald green sofa and leopard pillow. that. is. awesome.

October 28, 2009 at 7:08 PM  
Blogger Jess @ Frugal with a Flourish said...

Love love love the emerald green and leopard! That is so glam and fresh!

October 28, 2009 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I was going to say that I hate leopard print (esp. like in that first photo), but that dress IS to die for and I love the pillows you showcased. Lovely! You may have changed my mind. ;)

October 28, 2009 at 8:29 PM  
Blogger Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

meeeow!

October 28, 2009 at 10:54 PM  
Blogger Red Lipstick said...

I am really wanting a leopard chair for my guest/art room.

October 28, 2009 at 11:25 PM  
Blogger Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

I love a little bit of leopard. I have some leopard flats that I wear all of the time.

October 29, 2009 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Kelly Robson said...

The Western Interiors image was designed by Betsy Burnham at Burnham Design! I helped work on that project! It's gorgeous!

October 29, 2009 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

Have never really read Western Interiors, but thanks to that room-I am about to start checking it out. By the way for any of your southern readers there's a sweet animal print chair at Home Goods on ATL perimeter right now! Barbara Barry ish lines!

October 29, 2009 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

LOVE the boxwood green with leopard. super-chic!

October 29, 2009 at 12:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have some leopard peep-toe flats that I just love!
Thanks so much for the visit.

October 29, 2009 at 4:30 PM  
Blogger court. said...

Great post! I think the epitome of class is being able to balance a good leopard print. Some iconic figures come into mind--ie, Kate Moss in her vintage 3/4 sleeve leopard jacket that she wears EVERYWHERE.

I think the Rubie Green print gets that down to the letter.

October 29, 2009 at 5:15 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

love all these pics & the leaopard pops. THAT DRESS IS AMAZING and I would totally wear it!!!

xoxoox

ps- don't get weirded out but I dreamt i came to visit you guys & met your sis

October 30, 2009 at 6:16 AM  
Blogger beki said...

Oh yes, I love a good leopard print!

October 30, 2009 at 10:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love these shots! Also a fan of the animal print! That room with the orange is fabulous.

October 30, 2009 at 11:36 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

i really like touches of it like in a toss pillow or on a chair. this post is a perfect balance of how to use animal print w/out being over the top.

November 3, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home