Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Martha Rules: Rule #4

Rule #4: By sharing your knowledge about your product or service with your customers, you create a deep connection that will help you learn how best to build and manage your business.

 

 



When I got to this rule a big smile formed on my face, because I think I do a pretty good job of doing this already and with the help of this blog I am able to share my knowledge, tricks, and tips with all!

 



DSC02677

 



Martha recommends to extend the connections. What she means by this is to get constant feedback from her clients/customers. She always wants to know what she did right, what she did wrong and what she could have done better.



DSC_0254

 



Another key to rule #4 is making sure that love and concern is returned. I find myself doing this with all of my clients. Decorating is such a personal thing that it is only normal that you are going to form a strong bond with your clients. Many of my clients turn into friends during the process and that is just the icing on the cake.

 



DSC_0247



I found myself nodding in agreement again when Martha mentioned the importance of developing the appropriate attitude. I find this to be true not only in business, but in life. I use to be a very negative person. I was constantly complaining about things and it got to the point where it was driving me crazy. One day I just decided to put a stop to it. I know try to deal with every situation with a smile on my face and take a deep breath before I freak out. I also treat everyone how I want to be treated from a client  to a family member to the check out person at a store I’m always super friendly and respectful.



DSC_0925

 



Martha also had some gems that deal specifically with clients. She wants you to remember that customers are your best consultants, to think like a customer and see beyond the initial transaction.  I have to totally agree with Martha on all counts. A new client or customer is a great resource of information. They can help you come up with something new that you never thought of incorporating to your business like adding organization packages to your design business.



 



This  by far has been my favorite chapter. Perhaps because I feel like I already do many of things that she recommends and feel a bit ahead of the game. Then I have to remind myself that I started my business without a business plan (ah bad business owner) so I must get to work on that!

 



Of course I needed to add some pictures and decided to sprinkle this post with some projects I worked on. To see more of the black and white bathroom above head over to Plush Palate where I am guest hosting today!

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You definitely follow Rule #4, 'sharing your knowledge about your product or service ' - ever since I found your blog I keep thinking, I get to look at all these beautiful pics and ideas and how-tos for FREE?!! Thank you thank you for sharing!

November 12, 2009 at 12:41 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

I love that you share your knowledge with us all, this blog is one of my favs!

November 12, 2009 at 1:43 PM  
Blogger Ms. Bright said...

P.S. I think you're just great!

November 12, 2009 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

Another great post. Mostly common sense, but I know I don't always do everything that you mentioned. Thanks for a gentle reminder.

November 12, 2009 at 2:09 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

I love your bathroom! So many people have bathrooms that look just like that and they want to get rid of them. Maybe they will discover your little gem!

November 12, 2009 at 3:32 PM  
Blogger nelya said...

So many good ideas to "chew" on. Thanks for sharing these and all the other wonderful inspirations you share on a daily basis.

November 12, 2009 at 3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all of this, Camila. I also loved the peek into your bathroom! It's adorable. Love the black walls!!

November 12, 2009 at 4:54 PM  
Blogger MFAMB said...

adorable little place there. and i am so impressed so far with the rules of martha, thus far. thank you camilla.

November 12, 2009 at 5:09 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hello, found you through your guest host! I'm enjoying the Martha rules. I'm also an interior designer (down under), never had a business plan, and going in a million different directions each time I see something else I've fallen in love with!! I'm going to re-visit when I have time and slowly read the rules!! Thanks :-)

November 12, 2009 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

Thanks for the rules, they are so helpful! I have something for you over at my blog :)

November 12, 2009 at 6:52 PM  
Blogger Christen said...

Your pictures are amazing - as are you! Thanks for sharing all of these rules. I might have to go out and get the book now :)

November 12, 2009 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

I love this post. I have to get this book. I love the rule about adjusting your attitude and your personal experience about being negative and making that change. I used to be the same way and I used to be annoyed by everything but I made the conscious choice to not let small things affect my life so much. Happiness is a choice and thanks for that reminder.

November 12, 2009 at 8:18 PM  
Blogger Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Loving these posts. Did you design the bedroom? Beautiful!

xo,
cristin @ simplified bee

November 12, 2009 at 11:06 PM  
Blogger Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Adding your lovely blog to my blogroll this evening.

xo,
cristin

November 12, 2009 at 11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Martha's wisdom! I think you do a good job of sharing your wisdom/ideas. Thanks for that!

November 13, 2009 at 7:42 AM  
Blogger Cherisse said...

I love your bathroom and the idea of "Rock & roll and Country style" Thanks for sharing.

November 13, 2009 at 6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great series, Camila! And such great, practical advice! I totally agree with you that your blog fulfills rule #4 "sharing your knowledge of your products and service"-- I get so many great ideas from your blog! I love that you share your ideas in such an accessible way (I need those step-by-steps!). Keep up the great work and know it is appreciated!!

November 14, 2009 at 6:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, p.s. I saw your sneak peek over on Plush Palate... love your black and white bathroom! Way to transform what could be a "blah" space!

November 14, 2009 at 6:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVING your bathroom Camilla!! its perfect!

November 15, 2009 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

all of your work is great- but i just love your home office!

November 17, 2009 at 6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home