Friday, November 13, 2009

The Martha Rules: Rule #5

Rule #5: Use smart, cost-effective promotional techniques that will arrest the eye, tug at the heart, and convey what is unique and special about your business or service.



 



According to Martha the two most important keys to successful promotion of your business is to be creative and use common sense.

 





Martha also wants you to remember to position your product or service. You need to figure out exactly what you are trying to accomplish and how your product/service is going to stand out!



 



In figuring out exactly how to advertise Martha wants you to appeal to your customer’s wants and needs. In the interior design world if you placing an ad in paper you must make sure that it very stylish and appealing to the eye. Have some sort of image and not just copy to catch a clients eye.





Another crucial key to promoting yourself is the publicity game. Hiring a publicist is going to be hard on the wallet, but in return you are going to have some one in corner. A constant cheerleader that is reaching out to all of their media contacts and sharing how fab you  are! What could be better. I would die if I had enough funds to hire Ruby Press . There work is beyond amazing! If a publicist is not in the cards then you must become the publicist. Martha recommends sending out letters to local media outlets offering your services as an expert in your field. You just need to make one connection to get your foot in the door.



 



Once you get the attention of a media outlet Martha’s tips are easy. Get personal. Share something that people might find out of character for you. Get people to want to know more. When you are in the public eye it is also important to tell your story well. Practice is key!



 



Martha also believe it’s important to be consistent in your message. She loves her sayings such as, “It’s a good thing,” and Learn something new every day,” and If I can do it, you can do it.” Her sayings are a constant reminder to everyone of what her company stands for.



 



* It’s not a secret that I’m a complete marketers dream. Make it pink and sparkly and I’m sold! One company that I think hits it out of the park every time is my favorite, Kate Spade. They not only make me want to purchase everything I see, but they help me dream, give me inspiration and make me what to be a little more unique and original in my own life. I sprinkled this post with some of my favorite KS ads.

 



FYI: Winner of the $100 shop bop gift card for most creative answer is MATAANDCONNIE! Please email me with your information! I can be reached at cpavone0107@gmail.com. Can’t wait to see what you pick out!

Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Blogger carlee {deliciously organized} said...

Thanks again for sharing all of these rules with us. I love the Kate Spade ads sprinkled through out the post. And I have to agree with you...I am a marketers dream too!

November 13, 2009 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Blair Friedeman said...

Absolutely loving this series. Totally inspiring and motivating me!

November 13, 2009 at 11:29 AM  
Blogger benson said...

loving these rules and your take on them. I have a children's website and an etsy shop along with my day job (!!)
I've learned by trial and error--and I've discovered that I love giving "birth" to a new website or product...it's the nurturing and growing during times of trial that seem so frustrating to me. I think I want them to go from "birth" to "adult" in a year or so :)

November 13, 2009 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Chic Coles said...

This series is fantastic! Melissa is a marketing major at school and she has to read theses posts. Thank you. So much great advise.

November 13, 2009 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Dumbwit Tellher said...

This series is exactly what I've been needing. Trying to breath life into my new real estate career in a place where I know very few. Easy to get discouraged but I know Martha would never give up. She didn't even do that while in the 'pokie' (as my mom use to call prison)! Happy weekend to you. Now I'm going to go put some words into action. x

November 13, 2009 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger Melissa Marie Head said...

I too have always loved Kate Spade and her ads. I can't even count the number of purses I have. Now I want the shoes and clothes! Thanks for sharing with us - I may need to check out this book.

November 13, 2009 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself said...

This is amazing that you are posting this. Thank you!

November 13, 2009 at 2:44 PM  
Blogger Fargerike Dagny said...

Camila, I totally forgot, if you want me to ship you some grafitti spray cans from Norway, let me know! They're only $7 a piece :D

Have a fabulous weekend!!

xoxo
dagny

November 13, 2009 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger little luxury list said...

Great series. Martha Stewart is deservedly a marketing genius (and didn't need to go to business school like I did!). I knew she would rebuild her empire even after the stock scandal. She created such a solid brand and has indeed been consistent about being stylish, savvy, and sensible.

November 13, 2009 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

You are the best for giving us the Chapter Reviews. I've really enjoyed these posts. So informative. I would love to read the whole book.

November 13, 2009 at 6:22 PM  
Blogger deena said...

love the rules and use of kate spade ads - I feel the same way about her - just let me step into the ad and live there.

November 13, 2009 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love reading the Martha rules each day! Have a great weekend.

November 14, 2009 at 10:43 AM  
Blogger My Passport to Style said...

Hi there, thank-you so much for sharing this precious and useful info and for the sparky images!!!Might I ask you a favour if you feel so inclined would you mind revisiting my blog and emailing me how you as a visitor would score me out of 10 for the quality of my blog and your enjoyment.I would love it if you gave honest feedback of what points were deducted for.e-sharonstyle@fsmail.net.Have a lovely Sunday and let me know if you want to exchange blog links. Sharon xxxooo

November 14, 2009 at 5:34 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Wow, thanks so much! What a great series...its helpful to know other entrepreneurs/small business owners/everyone else out there is going through these same things. THere's no one better to learn from than Martha!! Thanks for sharing:)h

November 14, 2009 at 5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These tips are great! I really need to purchase that book. I agree with you on the ads. Kate Spade has done a great job.

November 15, 2009 at 10:01 PM  
Blogger Visual Vamp said...

Rules? Rules? You don't need no stinking rules!
You're doing just fine!
Love the images for #5.
xo xo

November 16, 2009 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Haven and Home said...

I am loving these tips, I am learning so much!

November 16, 2009 at 11:32 AM  
Blogger Shana said...

Thank you for this series, I found myself coming back to finish reading!
Your blog name is very cute, and is there on my blog shelf now!

November 19, 2009 at 12:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home