Thursday, June 24, 2010

Trays! Trays! Trays!

If we’ve learned one thing from LONNY it’s that trays are in!

 



You can use them as a catch all on your vanity:



lonnyttay

 



You can use them to tend bar.



lonnytray2 



You can use them for flowers and to show off some accessories:



lonnytray3



This bar display was large enough to add glasses into the mix as well. Great when hosting a party.



lonnytray4 



Once you display your trinkets on a tray then end up looking like treasures!



lonnytray5 



Here are some of my favorites out in the market:

 



Lucite + nice size +$34.99 : happiness!



cb2formattray



Apparently IKEA has a long and skinny lucite version for only $6.99. I love for it every single time I’m there and never find it!



luciteikeatray

 



West Elm always carries a great variety of trays ranging from $29-$55.



westelmtray 



Lacquer: check, hot pink: check, caning: check! $14.99 you are coming home with me! Available here.



costplustray 



One of my favorite stores in the city has a great variety for $45!



lacquertraypearlriver



Pier 1 Imports always has a wide variety of finishes, sizes and price ranges.

 



My favorite at the moment is this $5 find:

 



bamboopier1

Another $5 find was my latest DIY project.

 



While at Christmas Tree Shoppe a couple of weeks ago I found some trays for $4.99 .



DSC04128 



I needed something in blue so after searching my craft closet I found the perfect supplies to customize it.

 



Supplies:



-Tray


-Leftover grass-cloth wallpaper


-Scissors


-Tape Measure


-Spray-Paint


-Wallpaper glue and applicator

 



After a couple of coats of paint we had the perfect color and coverage:



DSC04129



Then with your tape measure get the measurements of the tray and cut your grass-cloth to size.



DSC04130



Now just apply some wallpaper paste to the back of your paper:



DSC04131



Apply to tray and let it dry. Then to fix any fraying add some decorative ribbon to the seams with a glue gun:



DSC04133

 



Then enjoy!



DSC04134



This tray is heading out to a client home tomorrow where it will enjoy some time on this ottoman:



loneganottoman

 

So how do you feel about trays used throughout a home?

 



I love them. They help my mess look nice and neat. I know some think they are a bit overused in magazine layouts and over-styled.

 



Where do you stand with them?

Labels: ,

34 Comments:

Blogger Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

I LOVE trays! I need about a ton of them around the house to hold all my junk! Thanks for letting me know about the Ikea one. You can't go wrong with that price! I will be heading out to Ikea asap!

June 24, 2010 at 8:42 AM  
Blogger Fran said...

Love trays! Small obsession of mine. I just did a post on one tray I'm coveting right now - cute gingham ones I spotted in Lonny (ellie sommerville's apt.)

June 24, 2010 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger Elena said...

Great idea to decoupage your own! I'm thinking I'll do one for me with Lilly wrapping paper and a manlier one for the hubs.

June 24, 2010 at 8:52 AM  
Blogger Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Love trays!! I love customizing them for gifts, yours looks great!! Janell

June 24, 2010 at 8:59 AM  
Blogger I'maNolaGirl said...

I love how these trays look! And you're right they turn trinkets into treasure! I am thinking about finding a metallic tray where I can put all of my perfumes. Thanks for the tips!

June 24, 2010 at 9:03 AM  
Anonymous AppleTree said...

I love them too. I recently bought 6 of etsy looking for the perfect one for under my coffee maker and ended up buying the lucite one in your post from CB2.

But I do hate a tray at the foot of the bed in a photo. Lame.

June 24, 2010 at 9:12 AM  
Blogger Debbie@Vintage Scout Interiors said...

Love these trays! I am going to look for that ikea one. We used a great mirrored tray to create a nightstand on a radiator in our Show House room.
http://vintagescoutinteriors.blogspot.com/2010/06/sneak-peek-our-designer-showhouse-room.html

June 24, 2010 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger Jeannine | The Small and Chic Home said...

There are 12 of those long, lucite trays at the Ikea by my mother. I'm calling her to have her pick one up for me over the weekend and ship it to me in Virginia.

Where do you live? Do you know where I'm going with this. :) :) :)

June 24, 2010 at 9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I buy trays all the time. I think I'm obsessed. One of my favorites is a Tarjay find. It's entirely mirrored. And right in my bedroom. love it!

June 24, 2010 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

I've been hunting for one and thanks for this post I think I will probably find the perfect one!

We are using it to set up a bar out of an old shelf!

Thanks for all the inspiration!!!

June 24, 2010 at 10:33 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I have the python tray on my coffee table and I LOVE it!

BTW, thank you so much for the awesome fixed shade tutorial. you may have actually inspired me to try something like that in the future .... you made it look easy!

June 24, 2010 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

I also have the faux python tray on my coffee table and love it! HB last month had a great quote from a designer, the best coffee table you'll ever have is an ottoman with a tray on top...

June 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Laura@JourneyChic said...

I love them! I found a great one at HomeGoods that I use on our coffee table to catch all of our magazines. I have another one on top of a toilet to hold tissues and a jar of cotton balls. You DIY project is great!

June 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM  
Anonymous Bailey@ peppermintbliss said...

I love a good tray...picked a few up from the ZGall yesterday for a client...and oh how you put me to shame with your DIY magic

June 24, 2010 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger LifestyleBohemia said...

I love trays & have one in almost every room of my house. My most recent purchase was the West Elm tray is gray - it's so handy!

June 24, 2010 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger Lissa Pierce said...

I love Trays! I may need to slow down though because its starting to look like everything is being shoved on a tray at my house :)

June 24, 2010 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

I absolutely love them...makes my junk look so much more polished. And thanks...now I'll be scouring the aisles of Ikea looking for the lucite tray too!

June 24, 2010 at 1:27 PM  
Anonymous laura said...

I love love love trays. I have that square Lucite tray, and use it to set up wine for a party with glasses and bottles. I also keep a small one by my sink, where my toothbrush and paste sit, and a small dish for earrings, etc.

They can be overstyled, certainly, but why not corral the junk and make it look beautiful?!!

June 24, 2010 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm a hige fan of trays, we have them in the dining room, bedroom and livingroom

I repainted the one in my living room and added fabric to the bottom under glass, it turned out pretty.

I like the one you did too!

June 24, 2010 at 3:01 PM  
Blogger Flavia @ Estilo Home said...

Yes, trays are so great for keeping a mess under control. It definitely comes in handy on top of my husband's dresser...amazing how much neater all his stuff looked when I put a tray there!

June 24, 2010 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

love them, I bought some vintage fiberglass for my vanity table that look really cute!!

June 24, 2010 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

gorgeous post — i love your picks!

June 24, 2010 at 5:31 PM  
Blogger Kelly Green said...

A wonderful slection of trays! We have a pathetic choice here.......very jeaous! Love them - all over the house! KG

June 24, 2010 at 6:01 PM  
Blogger simply seleta said...

I really LOVED this post. Beautiful and well done, Camila!

June 24, 2010 at 6:15 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

Love this idea- such a great DIY project!!

June 24, 2010 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger sara said...

Your DIY tray looks incredible! I'm loving that python print tray in the first two photos!

June 24, 2010 at 9:51 PM  
Blogger Polished Sense said...

I wonder how much that Hermes tray is? I love it!

Take care,

Jessica

June 24, 2010 at 11:14 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

I have been on the search for the perfect tray for our home. Maybe I just have not found it because I do not know what I am looking for :(

June 25, 2010 at 12:19 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

I'm a big tray fan too. I bought the lucite one from Ikea- love it! I found it it the bathroom section. Hope that helps you find it!

June 25, 2010 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger Carisa Knox said...

The Ikea trays are in the kitchen section probably in the same space as the cutlery trays and in- cabinet slide out organizers. I totally agree with you on the trays from Ikea, they rock! So much so that I bought six about year ago. They are actually a really nice weight and very sturdy. Good luck finging them!

June 25, 2010 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger David & Becky said...

Any suggestions for where to get a python tray???

June 25, 2010 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Rhianna said...

That tray looks great! You did a lovely job!

June 25, 2010 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger lu said...

i love everything about that first coffee table set up! i got a tray for my living area a few weeks ago. love it!

June 25, 2010 at 5:03 PM  
Blogger Hello Lover... said...

Love that tray makeover! I've been lusting over the west elm white lacquer tray - I really love that other source you posted with the bright colored trays! I just bought a little guy in turquoise with gold trim and white polka dots - I'm obsessed with it!

June 25, 2010 at 6:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home