Friday, November 12, 2010

1, 2, 3 Floral Arrangement

I love a room with fresh flowers. It doesn't need to be anything fancy, but a touch of flowers brightens up a room and makes me smile.

I try to never spend more than $5 or $10 dollars on a bunch so most times my flowers are coming from my supermarket or deli. Instead of just sticking them into a plain vase in a haphazard manor I like using pieces from my milk glass collection.

Here is an easy arrangement that anyone could do with a simple bowl.

Step 1: Get our your supplies. Use any bowl you may have it doesn't have to be milk glass. Floral foam is a must. It helps hold the flowers into place and I find that it helps my flowers last longer. I purchased that pack at Michaels for $6. It goes a long way.



Step 2: Using a kitchen knife cut your foam and place it in the bowl.



Step 3: Cover foam with water.



Step 4: Start cutting down the flowers. I cut them down one at a time. Due to the shape of the bowl and the foam each flower is going to be a slightly different size. I just play around with it until I get the right shape.





Step 5: Enjoy!


That arrangement took about 10 mins. I used it as a table centerpiece during my Mom's birthday brunch. My mom loves flowers so she was very happy to see some cheerful blooms on the table.

This type of arrangement can be done with any type of flower. Normally I like doing the same flower like roses or even carnations and getting a big consistent colored pouf!

Something along the lines of this beauty by Eddie Ross:



Images 1-6 via me, 7 via Eddie Ross

Labels:

23 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

Thanks for the tips! I'm clueless when it comes to arranging flowers!

November 12, 2010 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love that white one. Carnations can be so beautiful just on their own! Who knew?

November 12, 2010 at 9:23 AM  
Blogger leanne said...

i love that idea, thanks for the inspiration - i'm definitely going to use for the festive table!

November 12, 2010 at 10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

great tips! and eddies carnations look fab! i always think of sex and the city now whenever i see carnations!

November 12, 2010 at 10:52 AM  
Blogger LindsB said...

beautiful flowers! Now when do you want to come do my wedding ones??

November 12, 2010 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger autumn said...

so fun and bright!

November 12, 2010 at 11:27 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

what a great tutorial! I've always been a little scared of foam (why? so not sure!), but it actually looks really easy.

November 12, 2010 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger Mary said...

Thanks for the tips! I might be crazy enough to do my own flowers for my wedding next year, I need all the help I can get!!

November 12, 2010 at 1:02 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Soo gorgeous, thanks for sharing this!

November 12, 2010 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm with you- always need fresh flowers- they add so much life and colour to a space. My local grocery store always has 3 bunches for $20 so I do that once a week- I'm on a carnation binge right now-just love their bright colour and lack of greenery.
Your arrangement is so pretty and I am highly jealous of your milk glass collection- love it so much. Have a great weekend!

November 12, 2010 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger PS~Erin said...

It looks great. I LOVE that dish!

November 12, 2010 at 5:57 PM  
Blogger PhotoStory Collections said...

Love It! Now I have to see what's at the Farmer's Market tomorrow and find a pretty vase or milk bowl. I agree fresh flowers just bring and extra pazazz to a room! Thanks for the tips.

November 13, 2010 at 12:42 AM  
Blogger Hamptontoes said...

It is all about presentation, as you've shown here! Enjoy your weekend.

November 13, 2010 at 8:10 AM  
Anonymous Kelly @ Kelly Day Interiors said...

Great post-that floral arrangement you made would cost a fortune at a florist! We all have cute vessels we could use around our home. Thanks for the tips!

November 13, 2010 at 8:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty turn out! Thanks for sharing this! :)

-Mia
http://miafied.blogspot.com

November 13, 2010 at 12:07 PM  
Anonymous Cat@BudgetBlonde said...

Ooh, just stumbled on your blog! I LOVE milk glass - some of my favorite items in my house! Too cute!

November 13, 2010 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I picked you for the Stylish Blogger Award!

http://norwegianphoenix.blogspot.com/2010/11/stylish-blogger-award.html

November 13, 2010 at 6:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great post! Often times people get intimidated by florals. This is a great example that it can be easy and doenst have to be difficult. Also great is that this looks SO much better than throwing them in a vase!

November 14, 2010 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Jessica @ Wanting Adventure said...

That is such a great idea! I love the milk glass but the foam is just a great tip. I really need to get some of that for my arrangements!

November 14, 2010 at 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Karen - Emerald Interior Design said...

Lovely arrangement and you make it look so simple.

November 14, 2010 at 5:11 PM  
Blogger Loretta Fontaine (EcoHappy Blog) said...

Camila- Just sweet! The ruffled milk glass is the perfect container!

Loretta

November 14, 2010 at 6:36 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Feel free to check out the ones I did for a friend's wedding this weekend, I used a lot of orange! Glad your mom's party went well! *Amy

November 15, 2010 at 3:21 PM  
Anonymous flower shop in the philippines said...

Cool! I never thought that floral arrangement is just easy as that. I want to try to make something like that too. Thanks for guiding me through this. Keep posting.


-yumi-

November 18, 2010 at 3:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home