Friday, March 27, 2009

Runner-ups

In a home a staircase is often forgotten in decorating. I can admit that for my first year of living in my new home I didn’t really give it much thought. The stairs just got me from point A to point B. Now that in the stages of finalizing (for the time being) the rooms in my home I’ve had the staircase on my mind for the last couple of months.



My stairs are traditional wood stairs with the risers painted in white.  I’ve been itching to do something to step them up a notch.

Traditionally most staircases get outfitted with a stair runner. I’m not a fan of the ones with oriental carpeting down the front, but I think I could get use to this:



stair runner copy cat

geometric stair runner



Images via Copy Cat Chic



It would probably be very comfy on my feet and help the dogs from sliding off the wood, but so not in my price range at the moment.



Another option would be to wallpaper the risers for an added impact. Lately I’ve been in love with all sorts of wallpaper, but if I wanted to use them in a room I would need to give up food shopping for quite some time to get the loot to pay for it all. Buying a roll or 2 of your favorite designer wallpaper will not break the bank and add some character to your stairs.



I’m loving these images for inspiration:



shawna stair risers 

ferm wallpapered stairs



Images via Door Sixteen



The cheapest option would be to simply either paint the risers, or a stair runner onto my existing stairs. I could either use some left-over paint or run to Home Depot and see what they have as their Oops paints and walk out with a gallon for $5!



Inspiration for painted staircases:



blue stair runner



Image via House of Turquoise



black painted stair runner



Image via Girl meets Glamour



After doing all my research I did finally pick a solution for what I want to do. I didn’t go with paint, wallpaper, or carpeting, but a little something else. It was relatively inexpensive and if I want a change it’s an easy fix.

Since we are suppose to have a rainy weekend I figured it would be a great time to get this project done. Fingers crossed it happens and I’ll be posting a before and after on Monday!

16 Comments:

Blogger Blair Friedeman said...

Oh, I love the runner in that first image--especially with the pops of pink in the foyer. And I love how whimsical the painted risers are! Have a great weekend.

March 27, 2009 at 11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh--A before and after of your stairs? Can't wait to see what you did! I love a good weekend project. Have a fabulous one :)

March 27, 2009 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

I love the the look of the wallpaper as well as the paint. It adds SO much to the room! Can't wait to see what you are up to with your staircase!!!

March 27, 2009 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger annechovie said...

Camila, I love your options for stairs! Very chic!

March 27, 2009 at 11:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love those blakc and white flower ones..I think thats a swell idea!

March 27, 2009 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger MMW said...

One of my fave ideas for wooden stairs is to have a $5 or $10 dollar bill painted trompe l'oeil on the stair tread. I even wanted to try refinishing the wooden stair with a real bill underneath the layers of varnish. Just a quirky little trick...

However, I LOVE the painted riser pictures you feature.

March 27, 2009 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger pve design said...

Looking forward to seeing your stairs!

March 27, 2009 at 12:13 PM  
Blogger Sarah Ring said...

I always thought is would be clever to have numbers stencil-ed(sp?) or number decals on each step counting up from 1 to the top stair. Would be very striking with a white stair and a bold black number... just an idea.

March 27, 2009 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Sarah's Fab Day said...

Are you doing those numbers like Pink Wallpaper posted? If you are I loved those. Come on, you can tell me! Can't wait to see your finished project!

March 27, 2009 at 12:52 PM  
Blogger Debra said...

Can't wait to see what you do! I painted mine -one black the next white and so on- we love it!
Have fun.

March 27, 2009 at 3:03 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

I love all of those options, I didnt know there were so many choices for stairs! And obvi one more because you didnt post what you did to your stairs. I cant wait to see what you end up doing- take lots of pics please!

March 27, 2009 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

great post !!!! Great stairs !!

March 29, 2009 at 6:08 PM  
Blogger KM said...

Oooh, I'm dying, I HATE the teasers! Hurry up and post! :)
xx
Kara

March 29, 2009 at 9:40 PM  
Blogger shi(f)t said...

i am loving the runner in the second pic (black and white)--perfect with the black and white gallery frames. good find!

March 30, 2009 at 9:38 PM  
Blogger Maria Killam said...

Fabulous and creative staircases! Great post, your blog inspires me!

March 31, 2009 at 12:54 AM  
Blogger Haven and Home said...

Can't wait to see it!!!!!

March 31, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home