Friday, June 26, 2009

IN HER SHOES: BROOKLYN BRIDE

This coming January I’ll be married 4 years! Ah it is going by so quickly yet it feels like I just had my wedding the other day. Perhaps because this lazy, no longer a newly-wed still has her wedding dress hanging in the closet. Oh I don’t have the heart to bring it to the cleaners and have it sealed in a box  so that when I eventually have a daughter she can look it at when planning her wedding and go, “ Mom, seriously? I’m not wearing that!” I rather have it hang in my closet and occasionally try it on… (Ok, yes Jon has come home and found in my dress…I wanted to get my money’s worth.)  Or perhaps I just need to get my you know what in gear and just drop it off at the cleaners.



While I loved everything about my wedding I always think about what I would have differently. Especially with all these amazing wedding blogs full of all that eye candy. I would change everything! Wouldn’t it be great to have a big wedding bash every year? My wallet so couldn’t handle it, but a girl can dream.



It was in my dreaming of a what-if wedding that I found the work of  Vané Broussard from Brooklyn Bride.

You must  just go on there and let yourself get lost in her world for awhile. You can see photos of real couples weddings, engagement shoots, the perfect wedding bands, photographers galore, stunning invitations and even purchase a stylish ring pillow handmade by Vané and available at Bklyn Pillow.



Now with all that you must think that Brooklyn Bride is her full-time job, right? No, she is also an Interior Designer by day. Of course after falling in love with her blog I emailed her right away and asked her to be part of the In her shoes series.



She said I DO (ok she really just said yes) so sit back, relax and enjoy a view into her life.



__________________________________________________



7:35a Alarms don't wake me up anymore, so I have to depend on my darling husband Chad to drag we out of bed to start the day.  Hop into the shower to wake up, quickly dry off so I can start checking emails.  Of course there's no time for breakfast once I realize its almost 8:30a and I still haven't dried my hair!



9:30a By now I've escaped the crowded 2/3 subway and made my way into the office.  We work at my bosses loft in Tribeca with a beautiful view of the Hudson right outside the window!  I catch up on some emails and make my way through the oatmeal from Jamba Juice that I picked up on my way in for breakfast.  Breakfast of champions!



IMG_5268



9:45a Today we're heading up to the D&D Building (aka Design and Decoration mecca) to pick out some colors for a custom rug we're designing, but in the meantime, I've got some drafting to do.  Most offices use AUTOCAD for drafting, but since we're on a Mac based system, we use Vectorworks, which is in some ways, a bit easier.  Have to call my upholsterer about a headboard and email the client with the new price...yikes, its expensive! 



11a We're off to the D&D!  While I love the D&D, it can be pretty intimidating...its a lot of upper east side looking designers dressed in Chanel...not that there's anything wrong with Chanel!  With 17 floors of showrooms to check out, it can get pretty exhausting as well...you always need to come with a game plan so you don't burn out.  Thank goodness some of the showrooms have chocolate to keep your sugar up! 



IMG_5271



11:43a We head over to the Martin Patrick Evan showroom to check out our poms and pick colors...ahhh, so many colors!  We ended up picking what we needed pretty quickly since we brought our fabric samples to go by...looks like the design should be pretty cool and we'll stay within budget.



IMG_5280

 



12:20 Ghislaine (my boss) and I head to recharge with lunch at the Astra cafe up on the 14th floor.  There are gorgeous views of Manhattan from there!  My cobb salad is deelish.  We work out a couple of schemes for a room we're having some issues with, then head back to the showrooms.



IMG_5281



1:00p All of a sudden, we're really itching to check out some trims, so we head to Kravet to see what they have.  Not as many modern ones as we'd like (why does no one make hip trim??) so we move on to Donald Sutherland (great colors in their windows) and F. Schumacher.  We'd got a few key places we always check out since we know they have bright fun colors that we always infuse to designs.



IMG_5278 IMG_5279



2:20p Exhausted, we head back to office...there's tons of traffic but the sun has finally come out after days of rain and gloom! 



IMG_5269



3:00p I start catching up on emails and starting a frantic search for knobs.  How could we forget the knobs?  Ug, I hate when that happens.  I send over some options to the client...hopefully she'll like them enough that we can just order them right away.  The millworker wants to be able to install them ASAP. 



3:45p Get a call from our other cabinet maker, he needs the dimensions of a garbage can we're using in a pullout for the custom kitchen.  Of course I can't find the dimensions on the info sheet I have in the project binder, so do a quick online search. 



IMG_5288



4:58p Waiting for stock call from Anthropologie on knobs...they really do have a great selection of glamorous looking knobs and pulls!  Client says we need to find something sleeker...trying to check Simons Hardware, Mockett, Sugatsune....ug there's NOTHING!



IMG_5289



6p Finally, I head home...exhausted of course!  Going to the D&D is really draining...they don't teach you that in grad school.  Waiting for the subway to get home is annoying...why can't they just come on command?  Thank goodness I've spent the day in my comfy Tory Burch Reva flats :)  They're a lifesaver.



IMG_5294



6:35p I collapse on the couch to catch up on personal emails and blogs with the news (read: Access Hollywood) on in the background - I can't even THINK about cooking dinner!  Thank goodness Chad feeds me :)



7p Gotta take a break to frost the mother's day cookies for the lovely ladies we're seeing on Sunday.  The rest of the night is spent doing that, checking more blogs and emails (they never stop, its like a second full time job!), make sure my posts are all ready to go for the next day, and crash at 11pm. Tomorrow's another day. sigh.



_________________________________________________



What fun! Though I have to agree with Vané  that the D&D is a little intimidating. A big thank you to Vané  for participating and giving us a glimpse into your world along with a peek at the shoes you wore to conquer your day!



Hope everyone has a lovely weekend. Don’t forget to enter the give-away! You have until Sunday, June 28th at midnight EST to comment!

Labels:

17 Comments:

Blogger Re:Fresh Design Studio said...

Fun post! Our version of the D&D in MN is International Market Square (IMS) and although I was intimidated by it at first, it really isn't scary anymore. It definitely is exhausting walking through the five floors though! Fun to read about another interior designer-thanks for the great series!

June 26, 2009 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

That seriously sounds like the best day ever in my book- what an amazing job to have!! If you boss ever wants to move to Boston and you dont, I'd take that job in a second :)

Off to go check out Brooklyn Bride blog- yeah!

June 26, 2009 at 12:27 PM  
Blogger Lynett said...

Thanks for charing...she really does have an amazing blog!

June 26, 2009 at 12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, I'll have to check the Brooklyn Bride blog! I love the "in her shoes" feature!
Happy weekend!

June 26, 2009 at 12:48 PM  
Blogger california dreaming said...

I would LOVE to get married every year - to my husband of course - and have a reception over and over. I'm off to check out brooklyn bride's website

June 26, 2009 at 2:28 PM  
Blogger TheBeautyFile said...

That salad just made my mouth water!! Great post! Have a lovely weekend! ps- did you lose your power this am?? i was without power for over four hours!!!

June 26, 2009 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

That sounds like a serious job. You sound very busy during the day, I hope you take time when you get home to relax.

June 27, 2009 at 10:10 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

whoa that's a busy day if i've ever seen one. thank goodness for comfy flats!

June 27, 2009 at 10:17 AM  
Blogger Lauren Jade said...

I'm so in love with your blog! Makes me jealous! :D this In Her Shoes was really interesting especially since I would dream to live in NY and be an interior designer. IT will happen one day hopefully!!

June 27, 2009 at 1:50 PM  
Blogger Tiffany said...

just found your blog, love this post! so interesting to go through someone else's day.

June 27, 2009 at 11:31 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Sabbe said...

very fun post. We should totally have lunch next time I'm in NYC, that would be fun! I have a couple designer friends in the city, maybe we could all go. I'll be back in 3 weeks for a bachelorette party. And I TOTALLY should have emailed you. Where do you buy upholstry fabric in the city? I could not find anything...but I really didn't look on the internet first.

June 28, 2009 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

sounds so glamorous!! it was the salad!!! looks so good!!!
xoxo

June 29, 2009 at 12:52 PM  
Blogger Brooke Hagel said...

Cam your wedding was great, and you even had touches of etsy (your custom necklace) in there even though it was before your blogging/handmaking days! . . .Love Bklyn Bride, thanks for featuring! so fun.

June 29, 2009 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Haven and Home said...

Oh this was a good one! This makes me wish I still lived in New York!

June 29, 2009 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger Maria Killam said...

Totally great day! You are so fun! Thanks for sharing it and even your shoes with us :)

June 29, 2009 at 11:18 PM  
Blogger nelya said...

How fun! Sounds like a rather exciting day to me. I'd gladly step into her shoes any time the soles wear out! ;0)

July 1, 2009 at 12:46 AM  
Blogger Jessie Newburn said...

Congrats on your new blog and your new business. I found your site via Addictomatic.com and a search on "Vectorworks," as I work at Nemetschek NA, the firm that makes the design software. :)

July 28, 2009 at 11:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home