Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Take a seat

Last week I showed you some of my most recent trash to treasure finds that I recently found.



One of the first items that needed immediate attention was the patio chairs.

Here are the frames after I took all the mesh out of them:



trash to treasures 004 



Pictured below is the mesh seating that needed a good cleaning and a little re-vamp.



trash to treasures 005



I then went out to IKEA and picked up 2 and a half yards of this fabric:



trash to treasures 002 



I also made a quick stop at Walmart and picked up some cans of spray paint for the chairs. I wanted pink and Jon didn’t so I went and got…..



chair 009



Pink! What can I say with a name like Ballet Slippers how could I not. I didn’t want to be a totally horrible wife so I got 2 cans of Ballet Slippers and  2 cans of a more neutral shade called Pebble. Since we have 4 chairs I figured we could compromise and make 2 pink and 2 pebble.



Here is a shot of my chair with it’s lovely shade of pink:



chair 005

Turns out spray-painting is not as easy as it looks and I ended up getting a lot of drip marks on the chair I did and Jon had to take over and save the day! Thanks Sweetie!



The fabric then needed to be cut to size, pinned, and then run through the sewing machine. This was a little awkward, because I was attaching it to the mesh backings the chair already had and it was a bit stiff so it took a little push to get through the machine.



chair 010



Now for the finished product:



chair 006 chair 008



Close up of the fabric and pink frame:



chair 007



This project was super inexpensive.



Here is the breakdown:



The chairs were:  FREE



2.5 yards of fabric at 8.99: $22.47 plus tax we’ll make it $24



6 cans of spray paint at $2.59: $15.54 plus tax we’ll make it $17



So for around $41 bucks I got a brand new patio set!



Oh I so love it! I’m still waiting to finish the rest of them. I have a pebble frame finished with fabric as well and most of the sewing is done  for the other 2 chairs except for one seat bottom. Of course the sewing machine decided to stop working Saturday evening and I have no clue what is wrong with it!



Hopefully we can play around with it tonight and figure out what is wrong and finish up the rest and then I’ll post a picture of the completed project!



On the sewing front this project was supper easy. I used no sew hew tape to secure the fabric on when I was having problems pinning it and then just rain it through the machine. The lines came out straight enough. You can't really tell where it goes a little oh course.

On to a new sewing project!

Labels: , , ,

43 Comments:

Blogger Lynett said...

LOVE the chair makeovers!

I agree with you, spray painting sucks! I always start super inspired and then the hubs has to take over (it hurts my fingers)! LOL

June 23, 2009 at 10:45 AM  
Blogger Southern Aspirations said...

WOW. These are impressive! the fabric totally makes them.

June 23, 2009 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

awesome camila!!!! they look great!!! so cute!!!
xoxoxo

June 23, 2009 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger Blair Friedeman said...

Oh, wow! It looks fantastic. Love your compromise on the pink/pebble.

June 23, 2009 at 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg, they look adorable..esp the ballet slippers!! I need to do something in that color, just because.

June 23, 2009 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger sarah said...

so creative!!! i love it!

June 23, 2009 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Annie said...

Love it! The chairs are so much fun!!

June 23, 2009 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Fantastic Job!! They look awesome!

June 23, 2009 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

OMG these look amazing! I would have never thought to sew fabric right over the mesh backing, what a smart idea! I just love that Ikea fabric with the pink frame. Great choices!

June 23, 2009 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger TheBeautyFile said...

ok, I am having a HEART attack about how much I love these!! wow...talk about creativity!!

June 23, 2009 at 12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea! I would not have thought to use the old fabric but what a great idea. Looks amazing!
Pam

June 23, 2009 at 12:31 PM  
Blogger Kwana said...

So cool. Love it.

June 23, 2009 at 12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Camila!!!! The chairs look so awesome! Really great job! And yes, spray painting is kind of a pain :-)!

June 23, 2009 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Re:Fresh Design Studio said...

I love the striped fabric! Good work on the sewing!

June 23, 2009 at 12:58 PM  
Blogger I ♥ You said...

they look amazing! what a wonderful job! love the pink!

June 23, 2009 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

Holy crap that is SO cute! You're amazing!!!

June 23, 2009 at 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chairs look great! I wish I were so crafty. Now if only I could sew...

June 23, 2009 at 1:23 PM  
Blogger Happiness Is... said...

Wow! They look great! I am very impressed!

June 23, 2009 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger paula said...

Great makeover, awesome job!

June 23, 2009 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Camila- FAB-U-LOUS!!

June 23, 2009 at 1:52 PM  
Blogger Miss Madras said...

I would get the pink paint too. I can't wait to see the final result. It will look great!

June 23, 2009 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the new look of the chairs!! See, sewing is not that hard...well except when the damn thing stops working on you, thats annoying.

I have to say, the pink is the way to go- sorry Jon. I dont even have to see the Pebble color to know that the pink rocks and all 4 chairs should be pink :)

I LOVE an almost free project, way to go!!

June 23, 2009 at 2:17 PM  
Blogger Freckles Chick said...

If these don't say summer then I don't know what does. I LOVE how the snappy stripes play off the sweet pale pink! Lovely work, C!

June 23, 2009 at 2:19 PM  
Blogger Eli said...

Awesome!! They look great and so summery. Ready to be used while sipping lemonade :)

June 23, 2009 at 2:37 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

That is oh so beautiful! I didn't even think about getting fabric from Ikea, great call. I think I'll look there for my other projects.

June 23, 2009 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Limestone said...

Great idea! I didn't even realize Ikea sold outdoor upholstery fabric. As if I needed another reason to go there?

PS: A women posting as Lisa links to your blog as her own. Weird.

June 23, 2009 at 4:08 PM  
Blogger A New England Girl said...

These are adorable!!! The makeover is really impressive, and so affordable! Can't wait to see how the pebble looks with these fabrics. :)

June 23, 2009 at 4:36 PM  
Blogger bluehydrangea said...

Great, great job!!! I am very impressed. I just love before and afters!!

June 23, 2009 at 4:39 PM  
Blogger Haven and Home said...

Camila you are a genius!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pink with that fabric!!!!

June 23, 2009 at 4:54 PM  
Blogger ams said...

That is AMAZING!!! What a great project, I love it!

June 23, 2009 at 5:04 PM  
Blogger Brenda said...

Love the chairs. The fabric choice is awesome.

June 23, 2009 at 5:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love it! You did a great job.

June 23, 2009 at 7:35 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Good for you! This looks great! I can't believe you did all that so quickly!

June 23, 2009 at 7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're amazing. I don't even recognize them.

June 23, 2009 at 7:44 PM  
Blogger Kate Riley said...

Wow. Super Wow. Unbelievable Wow. Those look like they're straight out of a catalog ! All I need is a big tall iced tea and a croquet set and I'll just make myself at home - can I come over?

:-)
Kate

June 23, 2009 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger simply seleta said...

Great job!!!

P.S. Just now went to my mailbox and opened your box! I'm eating my sinfully delish brownie crisps!!! Offspring loved them too. I lost your email, but had to track you down and say thank you so much. Sweet friend!

xoxo
Seleta

June 24, 2009 at 12:26 AM  
Blogger pve design said...

I love a DIY gal and one who knows how to add a little fun to the after...

June 24, 2009 at 12:48 AM  
Blogger Susie (So Blessed) said...

These chairs are great...what a fun project! I love to sew, too.
I am Brooke's mom (Blueprint Bliss)
and I enjoy reading your blog. I think it's great how you girls have become "blog" friends!

Susie

June 24, 2009 at 9:54 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

they look awesome! i love the pale pink frame and i'm sure the pebble color will be great too. fantastic job.

June 24, 2009 at 12:41 PM  
Blogger Lauren @ with two cats said...

Fabulous! I love the fabric!

June 24, 2009 at 7:13 PM  
Blogger Pink Wallpaper said...

those look so great!! what a fab idea. i wish i could sew. i feel your pain about spray paint...when i did my chippendale chair we had to do 100's of small coats to keep from getting drip marks...total pain.

June 25, 2009 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger Amelia said...

Heads up!
The reason your sewing machine is problematic is because you had something that was too industrial sized of sewing project on your hands. Most machines will not be able to take this project the way you're doing it. I've learned my lessons the hard way. :(
Absolutely love the idea though!
And love the "Pink Slipper" choice!

All the best!

February 19, 2013 at 12:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chairs look great. I wish that you would have explained how the fabric attaches to the chair.

April 15, 2015 at 8:22 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home