Thursday, June 18, 2009

IN HER SHOES: SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY

You all know my obsession with the South. Especially my desire to move to Birmingham, Alabama and hang out with my favorite ladies: Marianne, Brooke,Jennifer and Paula. During one of my many rants about wanting to hang out with these ladies another fellow blogger left me a comment to let me know that she to was from Birmingham, AL. With that comment I was introduced to Rhoda of Southern Hospitality and my oh my is she a force to be reckoned with. She has many, many, many, followers and her readers love her for her amazing before and afters and all of her thrifty finds.

SOUTHERNHOSP

I knew I needed to learn more about this Southern Belle so I asked if she liked to be part of my IN HER SHOES series since she runs her own home based decorating business. She was sweet as pie and replied that she would thrilled to join in on the fun.

So sit back, relax and take in a day with Rhoda.

_________________________________________________

7:00 a.m.

Get out of bed. I normally don’t sleep much later than 7 ever. I knew that this happens as you get older and it’s totally true. If I had to try to stay in bed until 9 now, I could not do it. I’m usually awake and ready to get up by 7. Wash face, put in contacts, and make the bed.




7:15 a.m. Say hello to hubby, he’s usually been up for 2 hours by now, working in his office at home. We spend a lot of time together each day, he in his office and me in mine. Works out great like that. Go in the kitchen and make myself a yummy cappuccino every morning.

rhodacoffee



7:30 a.m. Usually start my morning with a devotional book and my Bible. I don’t always do this first, but I try to go in my guestroom for my quiet time for about 30 minutes before I get on the computer.



8:00 – 9:30 a.m. Get my breakfast of usually Raisin Bran and Go Lean crunch mixed with fruit and get on the computer to check emails and the morning blog post that I’ve scheduled from the night before. Make sure the blog has posted successfully. Yay, it has. Read any comments. Start going through my Google reader to check my favorite blogs. There are too many of them and I am forever behind on that.



9:30 a.m. Get ready for the gym and leave by 9:50 a.m.



10 a.m. Step class at the gym for about an hour and then ½ hour of weight lifting. This has been part of my routine for many, many years and I love staying in shape. This gives me the energy I need for projects around the house.



11:30 a.m. Leave the gym and stop by Publix for my Monday stock up on their sale items. Look for the mystery coupon item for the week and be sure to pick it up, as well as buy one, get one free sale items. That’s the way I shop Publix.

publix



12:15 pm Come home, unload groceries and fix something for lunch. This day it was a fresh tomato sandwich from our garden. My hubby has really gotten into gardening this year and now we are being rewarded with fresh tomatoes.

rhodasandwich



1:00 pm to 2:00 pm Blog surf and visit more people on my reader as I eat lunch.



3:00 pm – Finish up a Before and After project I’ve been working on, a small nightstand painted white to add to our master bathroom. Put it in place and take photos for the blog post I’ll be doing on it.

rhodaproject



3:30 pm – 5:00 Continue working on an Inspiration Board for an online client who wants help with her familyroom. Do some online shopping and pull together items for a Polyvore board to show her. Start typing up some detailed notes to share with her about her room. Send the board and notes out on Tuesday.

rhodaclient



5:00 pm – Start work on dinner. Have left over roast from the crockpot from an earlier day, so I make mashed potatoes out of red potatoes and steam up some fresh broccoli.

rhodadinner



6:00 pm – Hubby and I sit at our breakfast table and have dinner together, catching up on the daily news.

6:45 pm – Kitchen is cleaned up and I’m back on the computer for a little while, finishing up the day’s items.



7:30 – 8:00 pm – Close down the computer for the night, take a shower and put on PJ’s for an evening of reading magazines or a book in bed with hubby. TV is on and normally we catch a few DVR’d episodes of Law and Order, but on Monday night we finish up the 20th anniversary edition of Lonesome Dove, a favorite for both of us.



10:30 pm – Lights out and beddy-bye time.

And my main shoes that I wore Monday and most everyday. My New Balance Cross Trainers. Since I’m at the gym 4-5 days a week, these are a must for me.

rhodasneakers



Hope you enjoyed my exciting day. Ha! No really, I don’t have a lot of stress in my life and that’s OK with me. I put in 30 years working in Corporate jobs, so I’m really enjoying this pared down and non-stressful lifestyle we have now. My hubby is my biggest supporter in allowing me to do what I want to do. He was the one who wanted me to stay home and start my own business and I wouldn’t be here now doing this if not for him.



Thanks for including me in your feature!


______________________________________________

A big thanks to Rhoda for joining in on the phone. As always let me know if there is a special lady you would like to see featured. Or perhaps there is a fab man you know that would love to take part in an IN HIS SHOES post.

Labels:

25 Comments:

Blogger Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Thank you, Camila for having me here! I'll do a link over today and hopefully my readers will come over and visit your fun blog.

June 19, 2009 at 8:29 AM  
Blogger A New England Girl said...

I love, love, LOVE Rhoda. Isn't she fantastic? I've told her before that she should start her own magazine and I'd switch my allegiance from Martha to her! :) Thanks so much for including her today... she's a lovely woman and it is such a treat to follow her blog. I'm also glad I came across yours. I've been having fun so far catching up on all the past posts. :)

June 19, 2009 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Loved this one, Camila!! Thanks so much for sharing!

June 19, 2009 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger Hannah's Nana said...

Great post. I love to "peek" into the lives of busy & creative women.

June 19, 2009 at 11:06 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi there! Im so glad Rhoda introduced you to all of us! Im so exicited to come over and meet you. I too am from the south and down here you never have enough friends. I had the pure pleasure of meeting and spending some wonderful time with Miss Rhoda at the start of this year. Blissdom was full of awesome ladies and a belly of nerves but Rhoda made it sooo worth it. She has a way of putting a girl at ease and allowing you to just "be you". I love that about her! She is just a sweet heart inside and out and a good friend to have when your down and out. Trust me on this one! So spending a day with her would be true delight and so would that roast! Thank you girls! Hope y'all have a great weekend~ Susie

June 19, 2009 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

Visiting from Rhoda's blog. She a long-time dear bloggy friend and I've also been lucky enough to meet her in person! Cute blog. Will be back for another visit.

June 19, 2009 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Rhoda ~ Have you actually found a place that you can do a "board" online like you pictured?

Great day! I wouldn't mind a day like that myself! : )

June 19, 2009 at 12:10 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

I found your blog recently and was so thrilled to see my wonderful friend Rhoda hosting her "day" on your blog. Rhoda and I are more than blogging friends....I had the pleasure of meeting her in person last summer after we'd been e-mailing for some time and we hit it off right away. We enjoy the same things, blogging, bargain shopping, and just talking....she's a wonderful person and I'm proud to call her my friend!

Check out my blog at www.gracioussouthernliving.blogspot.com if you get a chance.

Judy

June 19, 2009 at 12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can't wait to check out Rhoda's blog! I love D.I.Y.!

June 19, 2009 at 12:18 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

Gosh, another wonderful lady from the South...Camila I'm in if you want to move- maybe we could get an apartment together and leave the men up North :)

June 19, 2009 at 12:23 PM  
Blogger PAT said...

This is a fun post! I came by via Rhoda's.
Rhoda and I first "met" on an MSN decorating group, which is now closed. That was probably 7 or so years ago. It's been fun getting to know her through the years.

I enjoyed visiting your blog.
Pat
Back Porch Musings

June 19, 2009 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Camila- another fun one in the series. I love reading about people's days. And thanks for introducing me to another Birmingham blogger!

June 19, 2009 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

I'm another Birmingham blogger and have also had the priviledge to meet Rhoda a couple of weeks ago check out the link: http://southernhospitality-rhoda.blogspot.com/2009/06/preserve-jazz-fest.html

Enjoyed the In Her Shoes post!

June 19, 2009 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Love Rhoda and hearing about her day! So happy that she has introduced me to you as well. Have a great weekend!

June 19, 2009 at 1:57 PM  
Blogger Dirt Princess said...

I just love her! When you get ready to find a 30yr interior designer/gardener/huntress let me know...I know a good one...pretty darn well...oh and she is a Southern Belle as well ;-)

June 19, 2009 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Yes...Ms. Rhoda is a true gem! I was first attracted to her blog because she is a southern lady, like me. Us southerners like to stick together, you know? Susie is right...we can never have too many friends! So thanks to Rhoda for introducing me to a new blog friend, and you for hosting! Love your blog...what a neat concept!

~Amanda

June 19, 2009 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

"she was sweet as pie" sounds like you're a Southerner yourself :)

June 19, 2009 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Rhoda, it's so great that you can have a stress-free life now. How awesome!

June 19, 2009 at 4:47 PM  
Blogger SoBella Creations said...

Love that mug!

June 19, 2009 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger Amber B. said...

I'm a Birmingham girl, too, and I love Rhoda. Her sweet personality comes through in her blog, and her projects are so creative (and affordable!!).

June 19, 2009 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger Blondie's Journal said...

Rhoda is the sweetest lady you would ever want to meet. I found her blog when I just started out and she was always so kind to visit my blog. She still does and I can't believe it with so many followers.

Her day may sound typical but I have seen this lady ON THE GO!! She knows the best antique and thrift stores, she has tons of friends and meets many of her blogging friends in person. And when you see a picture of her, you will want to run to the gym yourself!!

I just love her to death. If you don't know her, visit her blog. She's the real deal!! :-)

Jane

June 19, 2009 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger Its So Very Cheri said...

Dropped by, after reading about Rhoda's guest visit, while on Rhoda's blog. Good luck in your decorating adventure.

Cheri
www.itssoverycheri.blogspot.com

June 19, 2009 at 10:22 PM  
Blogger Richella Parham said...

You picked a good woman to follow for the day! Whatever shoes she's wearing, I think there lots of us who would be delighted to follow Rhoda around.

Good luck with your own design exploits! I hope your work goes well--I'm sure it must be a challenge to get your "foot in the door," but it seems like you've got what it takes.

Blessings!

June 20, 2009 at 9:23 PM  
Blogger vicki archer said...

I loved Rhoda's layed back approach to life and i am off to look at her before and afters...love these interviews Camila, xv.

June 22, 2009 at 8:15 AM  
Blogger Madison Sanders said...

Mmmm, I LOVE fresh tomato sandwiches!

July 5, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home