Thursday, October 29, 2009

Sugar & Spice

Yesterday the latest and final issue of Gourmet arrived at my doorstep. While I would love to say that I enjoyed Gourmet for all of their wonderful recipes that I spent weekends recreating that would be a total lie. I’ve never made a thing from them! I swear I had all intentions to try out some things, but never made it reading the recipe.



What lured me in every month was their amazing pictures and this month one simply image had my head filled with ideas!



spice



I love how rustic and simple it looks and I think it would be a great solution for inexpensive artwork in your kitchen!



To get this look yourself the steps are simple. I first did a quick search on Etsy and found these lovely prints available by Candy Factory:



a little sugar, a little spice-series no.3--spice photograph-5x7 print

a little sugar, a little spice-series no.2--spice photograph-5x7 print



These are only $12, but for a more cost effective solution you can raid your spice rack, whip out your camera and have fun snapping away.



I would then head to Target and pick out a shadow box to feature my lovely shots.



This is a nice solution where could get a variety of images in one place if you don’t have a lot of wall space for artwork. A quick trip to a fabric store for some burlap as backing and we would be in business!



targetcompartment

Another option would be this.

This version could hold a couple of images at once without the dividers so the images could be larger and already has a textured background!



velourshadowbox Since you would be using a shadow boxes pins can be used to place the pictures in place!



Collins Pins Pearl Head 1.5" Black 100 pc Large Image



Packages of 100 come in at around 3 bucks!

 



Voila with a few short steps and items you can have a unique set of artwork for your kitchen!

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger alison giese Interiors said...

Excellent idea - might have to try when I get my new SLR!

October 29, 2009 at 12:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh, i love those photos! never thought of photographing my spices, but they are beautiful!

October 29, 2009 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger Milltini said...

this is a great idea!!!

October 29, 2009 at 1:40 PM  
Blogger carlee {deliciously organized} said...

This is a very creative idea. I love all the photos of the spices :)

October 29, 2009 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Jen Caputo said...

Love this! I just finished a huge kitchen renovation and think this idea would make for some fabulous artwork in there!

October 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

So sad to see such a great magazine go :( Very cute idea though!!

October 29, 2009 at 4:11 PM  
Blogger ###### said...

im glad i didnt get caught up in that magazine to...sad times..sad times.

October 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM  
Blogger Chic Coles said...

What a great idea! I am also very sad to see Gourmet go.

October 29, 2009 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger Barbara Matson said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I love the name of yours! I have bookmarked your blog as one to follow! Good luck venturing into the design business. I would love to do that one day too - just taking baby steps.

October 29, 2009 at 5:58 PM  
Blogger Sarah Ring said...

VERY cute idea!

October 29, 2009 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger Dayka Robinson said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! My little dinner was good--I tried to do the gourmet magazine recipe-thing, but I got tired of always having to run out and get stuff I didn't have on hand. That little sauce is a keeper-let me know if you ever try it, and thanks for stopping by!

October 29, 2009 at 7:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great idea!

October 29, 2009 at 8:48 PM  
Blogger Maureen Stevens said...

amazing idea! yup, spices, different textures & colors, all so wonderful!

October 29, 2009 at 9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As always, GREAT idea!

October 30, 2009 at 5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home