Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Artist Crush: David Adickes

I don’t actually remember where I first saw David Adickes works I just remember jotting it down in one of many blog idea notebooks and noting that some of his works reminded me of the colors in Chiang Mai Dragon.

 



 



Take a peek and see if you agree with me:

 



Bright trees with bike:



brighttreeswithbike 



Spring Trees, 4 chairs



springtrees4chairs 



Spring Trees, three bikes



springtreesbikes



I can’t pin point exactly what I love about them, but they simply make me happy. I love the vibrant colors and wish I could hop on into the painting and take a lovely bike ride.

 



Mr. Adickes originally studied math and physics so I’m super happy that he took a trip to France after college and studied with Fernand Leger.  Upon his return to the states he began painting full time and many of works are housed in museums. Not only is he talented with a brush, but his artistic skills also include sculpturing.

 



Here are a couple more of my favorite pieces that would I would be happy to give a nice home to!

 



From his ladies of style series this has to be my favorite:



emilyinneworleans



It looks like Emily makes another appearance in this work:



coupleinredroom 



It’s hard to pick a favorite from his Wild Hair series, but this lady caught my eye right away.



wildhair



Any other artists that I should keep on my radar? I always find artwork to be of the hardest things to pick out for a client. I really feel like it’s such a personal decision and that a piece should really speak to you. I always like to make selecting artwork a joint effort with clients.

 



How do you go about picking pieces for your home? What’s your favorite piece in your home?

 



Image 1. via F.Schumacher, Images 2-7 via David Adickes

Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger bazaarofserendipity said...

My husband loves biking! i think I may need that print!! ;)


www.bazaarofserendipity.blogspot.com

February 17, 2010 at 3:56 PM  
Blogger "Julie" said...

wow those are beautiful!

February 17, 2010 at 4:23 PM  
Blogger wishful nals said...

wow, love the texture!

February 17, 2010 at 4:44 PM  
Blogger Design Esquire said...

I love these! Thanks for sharing. I've found some great art on etsy recently too.

February 17, 2010 at 4:45 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

The wild hair one reminds me of Christie Brinkley for some reason. I'd love to take a bike ride in one of those paintings!

February 17, 2010 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Thanks for the comments!!! I love this post, I have a really hard time picking out art work but my mom has a really pretty picture of queen anne's lace on a moor in Nantucket, it is great. I love flower pictures!

February 17, 2010 at 5:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great colors! His art could practically go in any room! Love it!

February 17, 2010 at 6:00 PM  
Blogger alison giese Interiors said...

Oh, I totally see the color scheme connection - and love it!

My husband grew up around a lot of art - his parents are both collectors, so I've been an eager student. We don't "cultivate" a collection, we just buy what we like, and can afford - mostly folk art from various places we visit.

I've always enjoyed the work of Kathy Womack - an artist out of Austin, TX who's star shot up with her "Women and Wine" series. The work is not necessarily for the art snob, but the images are delightful, and make you want to be a part of the festivities. If I had a female client who wasn't afraid to "go girly" with her decor, I'd be all over installing one of her prints. Her site: https://www.kwomack.com/

February 17, 2010 at 6:30 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

The lady with the crazy hair is beautiful, I love all the colors!

February 17, 2010 at 7:16 PM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

That is great looking art, I love the colors :)

February 17, 2010 at 7:28 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

These are the most gorgeous new pieces of artwork I have seen in awhile, thanks so much for sharing!! The colors are definitely my favorite part, I can picture any one of those pieces above my sofa.

My favorite "secret" source for artwork is Facebook/Myspace friends who've taken and posted great photos onto their social networking sites. Usually if I ask them about it they are more than happy to send me the full digital file, then I just print them in whatever size I want, mat and frame them, and then invite the friend over for dinner and to sign it! So many talented people out there waiting to be discovered!!

February 17, 2010 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

A friend of mine from college gave me a painting of Positano Italy on my wedding day. That is definitely my favorite piece of artwork in my house.

February 17, 2010 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger Dreams of Perfection said...

The one with the four white chairs....LAHV LAHV LAHV (Gaga's voice) that one. The chairs really stand out to me on that one. And the women look so sleek and feminine. I love all the colors and how they flow together. These are so pretty :o)

February 17, 2010 at 9:54 PM  
Anonymous AppleTree said...

I love that first one! with the bike. we love to bike as a family and that would look great in our hallway.

Also, I have been wanting a print from Charley Harper for a long time.

February 18, 2010 at 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Bailey @ peppermintbliss said...

Oh! I quite enjoy!
By the By...I received a "blog award" the other day? I am new to the whole concept but I was told to pass it along to blogs that brighten my day, SO, I did. And I passed it along to you. It is waiting for you on my blog if you are interested. xoxo

February 18, 2010 at 10:00 AM  
Blogger Caroline said...

very cool - thanks for introducing me to this fabulous artist!

February 18, 2010 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

P.S. I left you a little award on my blog. Happy Thursday!

February 18, 2010 at 11:27 AM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

oooh I want one of those tree paintings for my house.

Lovely!

February 19, 2010 at 5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home