Friday, February 19, 2010

IN HER SHOES: Julia Walsh

 

While the name Julia Walsh may not ring an immediate bell in your head I can guarantee that you are reading her work a couple of times a week.

 



You see Ms. Walsh is an editor for one of my daily reads, Casa Sugar.  Casa Sugar is a go to source for before & afters, DIY projects, designer trends, round-ups of the weeks best design posts and of course design inspiration.

 



Now we normally see the editors of Sugar Inc like this:



SugarGirls



They always have the chicest outfits, perfect accessories and not a hair out of place. Ok so yes, being a digital image probably helps with keeping ones hair in place.

 



I wanted to get a peek at a look at the person behind the curtain so after a couple of emails with Julia we were set to go.

 



Sugar Inc is headquarters in San Francisco and after reading thru Julia’s day I was filled with envy. San Fran is one of my favorite cities and seeing all her pictures has me itching to buy a plane ticket and stay with hubby’s family*!

 



* Brian/Nina make some room for us we want to visit!

 

____________________________________________

 



Thursdays are usually busy days for me and I need my energy.



WakeUp

So when I wake up at 8am today, the first things I do are boil water for my French press Blue Bottle coffee, scramble some eggs, and toast an English muffin. I make my coffee, but rushed, forget altogether to drink it!

 



InHerShoes

Around 8:30am, I'm getting dressed. My back has been bothering me, so I go with flats today.

 



FoggyBusStop

At 9am, I stroll out of my apartment, a 2-bedroom in San Francisco I share with a friend, and head to my bus stop a block away. I'm eager to see whether my bus is arriving, but the air is thick with fog and I can't see anything more than a block away!

 



MyDesk

I'm at by desk by 9:30, reading my mail and sending a few marketing emails for the next hour. Then until noon, I spend my time writing posts for Casa Sugar and reading through all of the design blogs (I literally follow 222 feeds!) to see what's new in the wonderful world of interiors. Every hour or so I update our CasaSugar Twitter and Facebook accounts and see what other design-centric writers are tweeting about!

 



At this point, I realize I need a caffeine boost. To the nearest coffee shop I go. The barista starts whipping up my order (a grande latte) once she sees me walk in the door.

 



FarmersMarket

On Thursdays, the galleria next door hosts a farmer's market, so I stroll through dreaming of vegetable dishes. I end up walking away with just a Pink Lady apple and a scrumptious blueberry danish.

 



I head back to the office, and work on writing a few more posts. One of them is a decorating post inspired by Marchesa's Fall 2010 collection, so I have fun poring through Fashion Week photography. Dreamy! Then, I thumb through the latest issue of Living Etc for a few minutes.

 



EditorialMeeting

At 1:30pm at the Sugar Inc headquarters, we have our weekly editorial meeting. I get a peek at some great posts my fellow editors have written, hear some company news and editorial tips, and then a guest speaker enlightens us about search engine optimization. Oh, the power of Google!

 



Immediately afterwards, around 2:30pm, I have another meeting ( a conference call). The other Editor of CasaSugar is on the brink of taking her maternity leave, and another wonderful scribe (who used to write for lil sugar ) has offered to help out in her absence. My Editorial Director and I enroll her in CasaSugar 101. It's exciting to have new blood on the site; she has fresh perspective and a lot of fun post ideas.

 



As we speak, she admits she has paint on her hands, and I know she's the perfect DIY lady for Casa!

 



It's 3:30pm when I'm back to my desk again, and boy does time fly! At this point, it's time to write Pop Sugar Daily , the pop culture newsletter that I also write for the network.

 



Miraculously, it's been edited, signed, sealed, and scheduled by 5pm and then I am ready to head out for the evening.

 



I take the bus back to my neighborhood, Russian Hill, and stop by FLIPP , a local design shop I love. I swoon over a Moroccan-inspired pouf.



Pouf



I nearly buy a entry table/planter, but I resist and tell myself it's a DIY waiting to happen.



PlanterTable



The shop's gorgeously lit back patio gives me a serious pang of real estate envy.

 



FLIPP

 



Next, I do some errands in the 'hood (shopping for plants!), and take a few pictures for the neighborhood blog I also write, Polk Sheet.



Plants



I haven't eaten lunch (notice that?), so dinner can't come soon enough, and I meet a friend for some vino and pizza at a nearby trattoria. Yum!!



pizza

 



Next I head home and am reminded that my Christmas wreath has yet to come down. The to-do list is growing.



Wreath



I practice my dart game a bit, concoct a delicious Nutella s'more (with supplies leftover from camping last weekend), and then pop in an oldie but a goodie: The Man in the Moon. Good night!



Darts



Thanks so much Camila for inviting me to participate! I always love to read what the other "IN HER SHOES" ladies are up to.



___________________________________________

 



A big thank you to Julia! So nice to get a peek into your world and after reading about all the posting you do I will never complain when I feel like I’m running on empty for a blog post!

 




I can’t wait to share with you next weeks IN HER SHOES feature. Not only is she a fab decorator, diy queen, and blogger, but she’s my pal and so to be neighbor as well.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Ring said...

Fabulous flats! Ferragamo?

February 19, 2010 at 12:00 PM  
Anonymous Julia Walsh said...

Yes! Thank you! They're so comfortable.

February 19, 2010 at 12:19 PM  
Blogger Jeannine | The Small and Chic Home said...

Hooray for Russian Hill!

That's the first neighborhood I hung out in when I visited a friend in SF (who since moved to the Marina) and I loved it.

I'm another Casa Sugar lover. I didn't realize you all actually have a corporate home base. I assumed that it was like Apartment Therapy, and people were scattered all over.

February 19, 2010 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

great post, oh I want her job honestly!!! :)

February 19, 2010 at 1:47 PM  
Anonymous LiaYayDIY said...

222 feeds! I have 10 and I'm overwhelmed. Clearly, I have to step it up! But thanks for a glimpse into the life! Very interesting and inspiring.

February 19, 2010 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

I am very jealous of her day. She has the dream job of all us bloggers for sure!!

February 19, 2010 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said...

What an awesome job, totally jealous, not sure how she gets all that done in one day, another super woman in the blog world!

February 19, 2010 at 3:33 PM  
Blogger myletterstoemily said...

that was so fun to walk in a cool person's
shoes.

February 19, 2010 at 9:47 PM  
Blogger MFAMB said...

she certainly isn't carb-phobic!
way to go eater-of-carbs-with-abandon!!
jealz.

February 19, 2010 at 10:31 PM  
Blogger Christen said...

What a fabulous post! She is an amazing woman!

February 21, 2010 at 10:18 AM  
Blogger Shannon said...

i love your "in her shoes" posts. LOVE them!

February 21, 2010 at 4:22 PM  
Blogger Haven and Home said...

This was fun day, I am definitely jealous! LOVE Man in the Mirror btw!

February 21, 2010 at 7:32 PM  
Blogger Lindsey said...

Great post!! And love those shoes! Great that they are cute AND comfy - you don't find both often! ;)

February 22, 2010 at 1:33 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

Nice to meet Ms. Casa Sugar as a real person.

February 22, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home