Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

I was racking my brain last night trying to figure out what I was going to blog about. I wanted to celebrate Earth day, but wasn’t sure what I should discuss.



earth-day-2009-sacramento



I try to do my part in being green. Walk when I can, always turning off lights, unplug things when we aren’t using  them, recycling, reusable shopping bags, etc.

 



When it comes to my business though I must say it’s not my top priority, but it’s something I want to work on.

 



House Beautiful asked a bunch of design professionals what they do to be green and I thought I would share a couple that I think we can all do without a huge impact on our wallets.

 

 



Architict David Mann recommends shopping your home. Reuse everything you have.  I think we all do a bit of that. I know I’m constantly grabbing one thing from one room to another before picking up something new.

 



consolegreen { I gave this record console table the previous home owners left in my house new life!}

 



Susan Gutfreund  recylces old curtains. She either re-dyes, re-hems, re does pleats or changes/add trim!



caneribbononcurtain { I added some vintage trim to my curtains!}

 



Erin Valencich install’s Lutron dimmers in all of her projects to help with electricity usage. They are only $10 we can all do that!



lutrondimmer { I just installed one in my dining room.}

 



Eric Cohler uses Low VOC paint in his projects. I saw go with ZERO VOC and use my favorite, Mythic. They have millions of colors to pick from.

 



mythicpaint



Susan Zises Green recommends cleaning up with all green products. This is something I already do!

 

You know I am a marketers dream and JR WATKINS stylish bottles always make it into my shopping cart rather quickly.

 

 



watkins

 



I guess little by little I have been incorporating more green aspects into my life and work.

 



Do you have any great tips that you can share? I’m always up to learn more ways to help.

12 Comments:

Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

Great links, it's always nice to see people doing their part :)

April 22, 2010 at 8:31 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

April 22, 2010 at 8:42 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Camila! I thought I was the only one with mad love for the Watkins products. I discovered them around Christmas in the supermarket and thought they looked like something from a high end store... pacakaging gets me every time! I had no idea they were green. Have you tried the lemon hand/body cream? It smells amazing!

April 22, 2010 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger Glamorous Newlywed said...

Love all the tips, thank you! I have seen the Watkins products and wondered if they were worth the $ - will definitely have to try now!

April 22, 2010 at 8:50 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

after I installed one dimmer switch in my house and NEVER use the overhead lights without them. LOVE DIMMERS!

April 22, 2010 at 11:14 AM  
Blogger Stephanie Sabbe said...

love the trim!

April 22, 2010 at 12:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Really great tips! I always see the Watkins products, but I'm addicted to Mrs. Meyer's Geranium scent. That packaging though might change my mind!

April 22, 2010 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Lynett said...

Thanks for the tip...I need to work harder at being green, I just get lazy!!! I do however use the GreenWorks cleaning products which I love!!

April 22, 2010 at 2:18 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I always look to see if I can buy something 2nd hand before buying new. There are so many fabulous vintage pieces out there, that you can customize or have reupholstered and then have something truly unique that isn't out of any catalog. Craigslist and estate sales are green!

April 22, 2010 at 3:31 PM  
Blogger Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

Good for you! Thanks for sharing the links!

April 22, 2010 at 4:45 PM  
Blogger traci zeller designs said...

I'm with you - I buy the Watkins products because they are green *and* look fabulous. I'm a sucker for a brilliant bottle!

April 22, 2010 at 4:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I like your console table. The green is great. I think there is nothing more satisfying than making something old new again! I just posted a cabinet and some chairs on my blog that I "revamped". Love your blog by the way! Especially the In Her Shoes:)

April 22, 2010 at 5:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home