Thursday, May 6, 2010

DIY: Look for less Oomph tables

One of my favorite parts from the room that I’m finishing up was my little revamp of my clients nesting tables.



bluetableslonegan

 



The lines on them immediately reminded me of  the 'Tini tables by Oomph accept mines only cost me a couple of bucks!

 



tinitables



The tables were given to my client a while back so they were FREE! I’ve seen similar styles during my thrift store trips so I’m certain you can find some on the cheap.

 



I was a bad blogger and forgot to snap a before shot. They were basically just a cherry stain wood. So I roughed up the wood with some sand paper before I started to spray-paint.

 



I used Krylon navy high gloss to spray both tables.



krylonnavygloss



The next step was to apply some grass-cloth wallpaper to the top. I had some left over from my dining room* (Which is almost totally finished so I will do a before & after soon)



bluetables 042



Now because of the shape of my table it wasn’t as simple as cutting out a perfect square.

 



Here is what we did.

 



Use one of the straight edges that you already have from the wallpaper and place it on your table. Place a small nick on the opposite side of the table so you know where to cut your other straight edge.



bluetables 043

 



Make sure you use a ruler and a new razor to get a nice sharp edge.  Due to grass-cloths texture if you don’t use a sharp edge you will get some fraying.



bluetables 049



After the sides are cut you need to care of the curvy front. Take the piece you were working with and make some nicks where the straight edge of the table starts to curve.

 



bluetables 052
Take that piece and put it aside. We now need to make a template for the curve.

 



Grab an extra piece of grass-cloth and get an outline of the curve.

 



bluetables 060



Once you have your outline head to your work table and use the razor to get your template. Place curvy piece of grass-cloth on table and make sure you lined everything up properly and the cut is correct.



bluetables 062 



Now that you have your stencil place it on top of the first piece of grass-cloth that you were working on and line it to the nicks you placed.



bluetables 063 



Then use your razor and template to cut out the curve on the 1st piece of grass-cloth.



bluetables 064

 



Then you paste the back of the paper.



bluetables 065 



And place on table. Make sure you smooth out any bubbles. Then you need to head back to your work space and do it all over again!



bluetables 066 



Now both have grass-cloth!



bluetables 067

We let them set overnight and to make sure nothing lifted up we did this:



bluetables 068

See this is why you keep all those old college textbooks! They finally come in handy.

 



I applied a coat of poly as well to the top of the grass-cloth, but in my opinion it didn’t make much of difference so I’m not sure if it is necessary. The texture of the grass-cloth remained so I don’t think the poly coat is preventing anything from happening.

 



Last step is just applying the nail head trim. I had some that came on a roll. It was easy to use and went a lot faster then if I had to put individual tacks around the whole table.

 



bluetables 071

Just remember sometimes the next opening for a tack might not be covenant. If that happens and you are 3 tacks away from finishing the edge and the next tack opening isn’t coming up until another 4 tacks. Just cut the trim and use the loose tacks to finish up those last three.

 



Voila! That is it! End of story. It was so easy and really inexpensive to get the look . This project would go by even faster if your table was just a basic square or rectangle. We had curves to work with so it took a bit longer, but it was worth it.

 



bluetableslonegan



I now want to go out to my favorite thrift stores and snatch up all those lonely end tables and give them some bling! How about you? Do you feel up to this project?



I'm participating in DIY Day on ASPTL

Labels: , ,

30 Comments:

Anonymous Southern Exposure said...

Nice job! I have some nail head trim I have been dying to use. Maybe I'll give this a try!

May 6, 2010 at 10:58 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

Sooooo fun! I love what you did, insanely creative.

May 6, 2010 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

uhhh...awesome!!

May 6, 2010 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Get out, these are fabulous!!!!!! Janell

May 6, 2010 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i cannot WAIT to do this! my mom will be in town all next week, and this has definitely been added to our/my list of projects!

May 6, 2010 at 11:39 AM  
Blogger jackie fo said...

I am OBSESSED with these! Don't know if I could do it though!

May 6, 2010 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger The Brick Cottage said...

Wow, you've got some hairy arms! I kid, I kid! I love the tables. I find myself wondering where to implement all of the diy projects you do--they are always fabulous and unique!

May 6, 2010 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Flavia @ Estilo Home said...

I've been wanting to spruce up my cheapie Ikea Lack tables, and this idea just might be it! They look great!

May 6, 2010 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Ok just died laughing about the hairy arm comment.

Don't you love all of my projects are always we, we, we, but when it comes down to it I always dream up what I want and Jon makes it happen. Hence the hairy arms!

:)

May 6, 2010 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Visual Vamp said...

So cute!!!
And great instructions too!
This Vamp loves your revamp!
xo xo

May 6, 2010 at 11:58 AM  
Blogger LindsB said...

Those don't look like your dainty hands in all those photos- did you get a little help from the hubby on this one haha. I love this project I want to go look for some cheapy tables now. This is totally my kind of DIY project!

May 6, 2010 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Averill said...

What a great way to revive some old tables! My only concern is whether or not the grasscloth would stain over time...but then again, that's what coasters are for, right? Great job (as always) Camila!

May 6, 2010 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger pve design said...

I have some tables that nee some Oomph!
I have had my eye on one table, an Oomph for 4,000 but seriously, 2 kids need to go to college, so this one will be a DIY!
(bad blogger) you are not!!! next time take that before.
pve

May 6, 2010 at 12:03 PM  
Blogger monique said...

brilliant! just brilliant! now if only i had some of that wall paper laying around...

May 6, 2010 at 12:23 PM  
Blogger Jen C. said...

Uugh! I almost picked up a set of nesting tables at auction last week, but no immediate inspiration came to mind so I let them pass! I like the results of your work - next time I will get the tables! :-)

May 6, 2010 at 12:35 PM  
Blogger LiveLikeYou said...

I see a innovative furniture designer in the making... Would love to sell some of your cool vintage stuff on LiveLikeYou when it's launched!

May 6, 2010 at 1:11 PM  
Anonymous Kelly@TearingUpHouses said...

I really like how this turned out!

Kelly

May 6, 2010 at 1:15 PM  
Blogger kayce hughes said...

LOVE IT! My wheels are turning.

May 6, 2010 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger Tammy@InStitches said...

They look so good ! Don't you wish you could keep them ?

May 6, 2010 at 1:34 PM  
Anonymous Bailey@ peppermintbliss said...

Look at you go, you crafty thing, inspiring as usual

May 6, 2010 at 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Deb said...

They look awesome! Where do you get nailhead trim on a roll like that? :) deb

May 6, 2010 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Love that idea! Very cute.

May 6, 2010 at 2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so clever! And I love how you use spray paint so often! -Jami

May 6, 2010 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger lauren @ gathering moss said...

GENIUS. i have been mulling for months over what to do with some side tables i got at a thrift store. they have similar corners to the quatrefoil 'tini table by oomph, and i bet they'd look fabulous covered with some leftover grasscloth i snagged from my parents' attic!

May 6, 2010 at 3:41 PM  
Blogger autumn said...

great idea, and i am in love with the navy paint!
fantastic bang for your buck project. thanks for sharing!

May 6, 2010 at 5:13 PM  
Blogger Kelly Green said...

GREAT JOB - FANTASTIC RESULT! KG

May 6, 2010 at 5:50 PM  
Blogger bluehydrangea said...

I had to come back for another look. So dang amazing!!! I am busy thinking what I might be able to transform!!

May 6, 2010 at 7:09 PM  
Blogger Sarah's Fab Day said...

They look great! Nice work DIY queen!

May 7, 2010 at 1:24 AM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

How awesome is that! Great job!

May 7, 2010 at 8:34 AM  
Blogger Haven and Home said...

Okay now that is one amazing project!!!

May 9, 2010 at 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home