Monday, June 7, 2010

Weekend Recap: Knock-off Wood

By now I think the whole free world has probably heard of Knock-Off Wood. If you haven’t let me give you a little recap. Ana is a mom from Alaska who builds furniture on the side. Now I don’t mean she assembles furniture from a ready made kit. No this talented lady makes the design plans, cuts the wood, puts it together and paints it!

 



A couple of months ago she started sharing her talent with the world through her blog and the interest started to grow. She showcases design plans for DIY furniture using our favorite stores as her inspiration. Well she’s gotten so much attention that she now has a literary agent, is working with a TV production company and got a pretty mean letter from William Sonoma.

 



Last week while I was trying to figure out a birthday gift for one of the sweetest little girls I know!

 



This is Lisa and her little lady Amaya rocking my sunglasses last summer.



lisaandamaya

Isn’t she the cutest?

 



Well this past Saturday was her 2nd birthday and I knew I needed to get her something fab so with the help of Ana’s plans I got what I needed.

 



We decided to make her a little Supermarket with help of these plans: Grocery Store Base & Grocery Store Hutch.

 



We started out Thursday evening with a trip to Home Depot to pick up wood.

 



DSC03992



Then we got to work and started sorting all of our pieces to make all of the cuts that we would need.

 



After about 30-40 mins we were finished with all our cuts.



DSC03993



Friday we built it all using the plans from Knock-Off Wood.

This took about 2 and half hours.

 



Saturday morning we needed to get all of our painting done, because Amaya’s party was that afternoon!

 



DSC03996 



All set up:



DSC03994 



With the help of our paint sprayer and a gallon of Oops paint we were able to get our pieces painted in no time!

 



knock-offwoodgrocerystore

The letters were a quick find from A.C. Moore that happened to be 40% off for the week. We had some chrome spray-paint around the house they got a sparkly coat!

 



With some small props from the Dollar tree like the little potted flowers and shopping baskets we set up the scene for Amaya!

 



knockoffwoodgrocerystore1



You know I love elephants so I used some of my left over fabric pieces and made some elephant garland to hang for decoration.



knockoffwoodgrocerystore2



We arrived a bit late to the party, but the birthday girl was totally pleased! She loved it, said Thank you a bunch of times and all of her little party guests started playing with it right away.

 



Oh course this blogger forgot to take her camera out and snap some pictures with the guest of honor! Whoops hopefully her mom will post some soon.

 



So that was how I spent my weekend. What did you guys do? Have any of you every built something with the help of Knock-Off Wood?

Labels: ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I'm working on the Stratton bed right now. I think it's going to turn out really well but it's definitely taking me more than an afternoon to do it!

That stand is too adorable. I'm glad the kiddos liked it!

June 7, 2010 at 12:18 PM  
Blogger Mendie said...

oh how cute-good call! i have checked out her site and have otns of wishlist items printed out...but haven't made anything yet. Love the latest outdoor sectional!

June 7, 2010 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger Henley on the Horn said...

You are so talented!

June 7, 2010 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger Jen @ RamblingRenovators said...

That turned out fabulous!! I so have to do this for my little girl.

June 7, 2010 at 12:26 PM  
Blogger Erika Ward said...

that is adorable and so cheerful! that project alone would have me hooked on doing more!

June 7, 2010 at 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Laura@JourneyChic said...

This is adorable! I'm sure Amaya will love it. The elephants are the icing on the cake. I haven't tried any of Ana's plans yet, but she always has such great ideas.

June 7, 2010 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

Super cute!!!! I've been to Knock-Off Wood's blog before...but I don't feel like I have the skill level to pull something off?!!

June 7, 2010 at 1:33 PM  
Blogger Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

oh wow! sooo impressed, amazingly cute!!!

June 7, 2010 at 2:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks for sharing her work with those of us who hadn't heard about her — i'm in love! you did an amazing job with her little grocery shop. the orange is perfect!

June 7, 2010 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

That is impressive! Great work Camila!

June 7, 2010 at 2:48 PM  
Blogger paula said...

this looks fabulous! so sad she got a mean letter.

June 7, 2010 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger Welcome said...

Camila, just realized that o won the shopbop giveway - OMG!!! You have totally made my day...

XOXO
Kiki

June 7, 2010 at 3:42 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Sabbe said...

that is so freakin' cute

June 7, 2010 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger Lynett said...

Thanks for the heads up on Knock Off Wood, I must be living under a rock...

You did great on the stand! It came out soooo cute!

June 7, 2010 at 4:38 PM  
Blogger Hello Lover... said...

I love this blog - I've been planning on using their parsons desk plan to make an outdoor table!

This must have been one ecstatic little girl to receive such a great personalized gift!

June 7, 2010 at 5:56 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

I have done mine! Check it out here: http://jellyofpbandj.blogspot.com/2010/05/not-so-neverland.html

June 7, 2010 at 6:33 PM  
Anonymous Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Precious! And what a thoughtful gift! Someday I swear I'm going to attempt one of Ana's awesome designs...

June 7, 2010 at 6:35 PM  
Blogger sara said...

Wow, that is incredible - you all did a fantastic job! I love the choice of orange, it really pops.

June 7, 2010 at 8:21 PM  
Blogger PhotoStory Collections said...

Oh LORD! Now I must find ANOTHER project to get lost in...thanks for putting me on to it!!! Your stand is SOOOO CUTE! The orange is perfect and fun and I too love elephants so I think that was GREAT!

June 8, 2010 at 12:05 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Limestone said...

Wow - that is awesome.

June 8, 2010 at 5:14 PM  
Blogger alison giese Interiors said...

Pleased? I imagine she was ECSTATIC - what an amazing, fun gift!

June 9, 2010 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

this is so so so cute!! When I have kids you can come make my kid one too, ok?

June 10, 2010 at 11:35 AM  
Anonymous Kate Collins Interiors said...

So talented!

July 30, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home