Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Weekend Recap: Outdoor living on the cheap!

Hi All,

 



Can’t believe I’m actually typing this, but I’m happy to be back to my normal routine. With my vacation to Colombia and then traveling to Delaware last Friday I have been completely out of the loop.

 



Sunday we had plans for two BBQ’s, but our home was calling our names instead so we decided to have some house time and get things in order for the start of the summer.

 



Our backyard was in a sad state so we decided to make that our first priority. We have plans to build a deck, but until that happens we’ve made the following little tweaks.

 



We had three old patio chairs that the previous home owners left behind, a table that we had saved from the trash last summer and a bench that sitting all alone.

 



So we just put it all together! Now we have a sunny and cherry place to hang out and it cost us zero dollars!



DSC03979

Now we have a tree that sits in the middle of our backyard. I thought it need a little something, something so we went out to IKEA and got these:

barfotaikea 



I loved that they were bright colors and went with the colors already on the seat cushions.

 



Don’t they look so sprinkled hanging on the tree? I of course had to test them lit up at night and the twinkle coming off the tree was amazing!



DSC03987



We added another teeny tiny sitting area with a small seat hammock. This piece was given to us by our in-laws and was a gift from one of their trips.

DSC03983




You can find something similar here or here.

 



Remember my old trash to treasure project from last year?



When we took this:



beforepatiochair



To this:



afterpatio chair



Well they came out again and voila another little sitting area near our fire pit!



DSC03984 



Our final little sitting area came together with two chairs that we bought back from our trip to Colombia. They are hand crafted and made from yellow wood. Me and Jon both fell in love with them so they became our extra baggage and home they came.



DSC03985 



Our last little fix was in our veggie garden. It looks like we had a bit of growth while we were gone so while we were IKEA we picked up these trellis pieces. Each set was on sale for $2.99! So now our tomatoes have somewhere to go!



DSC03986

 



We had quite the productive day. Does the backyard look like our dream space? No, that will take time and money to get there, but with only a trip to IKEA and using things we already had hanging out we made the space much more usable and pretty!

 



Did you do any yard work over the weekend?

 



Any places you can recommend for outdoor cushions? We searched high and low for some to add to the bench, but we came up empty handed!

Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Janna said...

I was toying with ideas for adding color to my backyard, including the possibility of spray painting the table and chairs left by the former owner. You inspired me! And I'm making a trip to Ikea this week for those little tealight hangers. CUTE!!!

June 1, 2010 at 11:46 AM  
Blogger Janna said...

Oh, btw...our Homegoods will sometimes have outdoor cushions in fun colors. Maybe Pier 1 too??

June 1, 2010 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Limestone said...

Oh, loving that trellis from Ikea. That could come in handy!

June 1, 2010 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger Lissa Pierce said...

Your Yard looks great. I am still chopping mine back from jungle stage. Love the IKEA votives...I will definetly be getting those.
Also, I second what Janna said with Homegoods and Pier 1 for cushions. Pier 1 especially has a ton of choices.

June 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Those chairs are beautiful!

June 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM  
Blogger Haven and Home said...

I still LOVE those stripe chairs!

June 1, 2010 at 6:41 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Your backyard is looking fabulous. I love all the little pieces you put together.. especially those Ikea finds. They never cease to amaze me! :)

June 1, 2010 at 9:26 PM  
Anonymous sherry said...

I ordered cushions from Restoration Hardware summer before last and they DRY ROTTED!!! So I replaced them with some from TJ Maxx last summer and they still look brand new! PLUS they have some really TDF trellis patterns!

June 2, 2010 at 3:45 PM  
Anonymous Jules said...

I LOVE those chairs!

I triple the Home Goods and Pier 1 recommendations. :)

June 2, 2010 at 6:49 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Love it! Everything looks fabulous! I love the little tealights--so cute. I <3 Ikea.

June 2, 2010 at 7:29 PM  
Blogger ###### said...

my hubby sd i am killing the grass with paint...love the look though.

June 3, 2010 at 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home