Monday, July 26, 2010

Weekend Recap: Here comes the bride….

Hi Loves,

 



Hope you had a great weekend! I was a busy bee. You see in between blogging and my design work I’ve been working on another little project.

 



This year Mom and Dad will be celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary. When they got married the first time and funds were tight they went to the court house and got married.

 



Mom has always dreamed of having a traditional wedding in a church, walking down the aisle, photographer, etc.

 



So two weeks ago we decided to plan a renewal party for them!

 



Mom wanted a classic and romantic event.

 



I immediately knew what sort of color theme I wanted for the big bash and sent Bridezilla Mom this picture from Nonpareil:



tocatcha



Mom loved it. It gave her a bit of classic & romantic, but also a bit modern and fun. Win, win!

 



The big day is September 5th so this weekend was a mad dash to find the bride a dress.

 



I was a complete wedding dress snob when I got married in 06.  I never even stepped foot into Davids Bridal and today I’m eating my words.They had amazing things! We have one really close to our house we decided to take a peek:



david'sbridalshowroom



They had a million different options to pick from and most of them were stunning and I would have totally worn them for my big day. Plus most of them were way around $900.

 



Here is what she tried on:

 



Dress #1: Creamy ivory, bolero jacket as a cover up for the church, small lace detailing, a bit of beading, satin sash, overall we all agreed on this one.



momdress1



Dress #2: Had the classic vibe Mom was going for with the clean lines and beading, but I just wasn’t loving it. It just looked a little too young.



momdress2



Dress #3: This dress was a favorite for all of us. We loved the bit of ruffle on the jacket and the ruching all throughout the body was very figure friendly.



momdress3 



Dress #4: Of course this dress was one of my picks. I loved all of the ruffling throughout and then the top was really pretty. We all loved it, but wanted something a bit more reserved.



momdress4



Dress #5: Creamy ivory color, perfect tea length and I loved the the stripe effect the dress had. It had an Audrey Hepburn feel to it.



momdress5



So after Mom tried on all that we put one on hold and went to see what else was out there. We hit all of the big retail stores and some smaller shops and found….NOTHING.

 



We went back to pick up the hold dress after a very long day of shopping. Any idea which one we picked out? Which was your favorite?

 



In between all that shopping we also found some bridesmaid dresses for…….$38! Amazing. Now a girl needs some secrets so I’ll reveal what we picked on my wedding day recap.

 



It was nice to have weekend that didn’t revolve around client projects or my own personal projects.

 



What were you up to?

Labels:

46 Comments:

Blogger megan said...

That is so sweet & fun to help your mom plan her renewal party! My parents actually celebrated their 30th anniversary a little over a year ago and I threw them a surprise party! They had no idea!

July 26, 2010 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Maria Johns said...

Oh my gosh, I love everything about this!!! Its so incredibly sweet to renew and do it they way she's dreamed. I love picks #3 and #5, can't wait to see the big day!!

July 26, 2010 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I hope she picked #3, the ruffle is AMAZING and looks unbelievable on her. Classic.

July 26, 2010 at 9:54 AM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

I love #1, it's so elegant!

I had no problem using David's Bridal for my wedding because it was all I could afford. I was so happy that I got a dress for $450 that looked like it was $1000.

July 26, 2010 at 10:06 AM  
Blogger SHERRY HART said...

I like #3....It was definitely the most flattering...looked like a Nicole Miller..... How fun!!!

July 26, 2010 at 10:16 AM  
Blogger the cape on the corner said...

oh, how fun! love 3 and 5, bet you went with 5. it has the a line she liked, but was a more age appropriate option. so cute, love that they were all short, too.

July 26, 2010 at 10:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

No Fanta bridesmaid pics? haha

July 26, 2010 at 10:28 AM  
Blogger PhotoStory Collections said...

I loved dress #3 (#1 was nice too). Awww how sweet of you to do this for/with your mom. Have fun!

July 26, 2010 at 10:40 AM  
Blogger bluehydrangea said...

So exciting!! Love dresses 3 and 5! Your mom is adorable!!

July 26, 2010 at 11:01 AM  
Blogger Jeannine | The Small and Chic Home said...

You touched on something...

I'm in love with a few wedding gowns that are in the $3000-$5000 range. I have caught myself rationalizing the ones that are closer to $3000, especially an amazing Priscilla of Boston gown that I know I'll try on when I'm officially engaged (it's coming!).

But then I think about opportunity cost. How much could be done with that money if I found a dress for $1000 or even less? I mean, I could realistically spend more, but I could also have a few more people at the wedding if I spent less or I could stash money away for a new home.

Just because you can afford to spend thousands, should you? I'm still trying to figure it out.

By the way, the last three dresses are stunningly beautiful. She's going to look gorgeous!

July 26, 2010 at 11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go back and get #3!!!! BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

July 26, 2010 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger pve design said...

1,3,5 would be my pick in that order.
How sweet your Mom is!!!
pve

July 26, 2010 at 11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Number 3 looked so lovely on your Mum. Classic with a bit of a twist. Congrats to them, & here's to the next 30 years!

July 26, 2010 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

I love #3 with the ruffle! Your Mom is classy!

My word verification is "thinest". Your blog is so good to me ;)

July 26, 2010 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger Decor I Adore said...

#3 and #5 are my favorite! Oh I would have such a blast doing something like this for my mom!!! Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

July 26, 2010 at 12:08 PM  
Anonymous Nichole@40daysof said...

Number 3!

July 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

such fun..what great daughters you are. I pick 1 and 3, can't wait to see the big day being revealed. cheers!

July 26, 2010 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger Aja said...

Love this! I have to go with #3- I love love that ruffle detail and it's so flattering on your adorable mom!

July 26, 2010 at 12:39 PM  
Blogger liz @ bon temps beignet said...

LOVE # 3!!! Your mom is so cute!

I got my dress from DB, which was not on my top list of dress places BUT I really loved the dress.

Here are a few pics of it
http://bontempsbeignet.blogspot.com/search/label/wedding

And you can't beat DB's prices.

I can't wait to see pictures from her wedding!

July 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM  
Blogger jisabird said...

How wonderful and your Mom looks so happy and glowing like a brand new bride.

This Nov will be 8 years for us and I'm already thinking about a renewal wedding for 10 year anniv. What can I say I love to plan;)

Cheers!
J.

July 26, 2010 at 1:06 PM  
Anonymous Maggie Rose said...

Aww your mom looks so pretty! I agree about the too-young one, but she'll look smashing in any of the others. Loved #1 and #3 best!

I've had a kind of snotty attitude about David's Bridal too, but last time I was in there for a bridesmaid dress fitting they had some really nice gowns. I guess they just have bad marketing campaigns because I wouldn't have guessed!

July 26, 2010 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

omg your mom is a KNOCKOUT in dress #3- love love love it! I hope thats the one, but to be honest she looks amazing in all of them!

July 26, 2010 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Jill Marie said...

HI!
I love #3 but would probably pick #5 especially since your beautiful mother looks so young and sweet!
I picture her with some bright yellow flowers...roses maybe.

Have fun with the plans!!

July 26, 2010 at 2:13 PM  
Blogger Hilary Dow Ward said...

Dress #3 is for sure my favorite, by far. She looks amazing in that dress, very sophisticated. Three cheers for #3!

July 26, 2010 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

She looks so happy!!! What beautiful women you are!

My fave is #3, but I'm a bit of a closet prep and love a 'popped collar'...and if it involves a ruffle *i die*

She'll be stunning in any of them!

July 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM  
Blogger Lovely Little Nest said...

aww how fun!

LOVE the table, by the way ~ such a pretty color-combo!

July 26, 2010 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger Merissa said...

Aww, what a nice idea! I love dress #1. Post pictures of the bridesmaid dresses!!

July 26, 2010 at 8:38 PM  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

Your mom looks amazing in all of these dresses. I only hope to look that good on my 30th wedding anniversary. Anyways, being a HUGE Audrey Hepburn fan I've got to say you're right about dress #5 having that vibe. It's a close race for me between it and #3.

July 26, 2010 at 9:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Number three, number three, number three! What a darling idea. You are so sweet for helping your mother plan and pick THE dress!

July 26, 2010 at 9:34 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I love it when couples renew their vows...I love #3 and 5...your mom looks stunning btw.

Have a great time!!

Best,
Michelle

July 26, 2010 at 9:41 PM  
Blogger traci zeller designs said...

I LOVE your mom in #3 -- she looks AMAZING!!!

July 26, 2010 at 10:10 PM  
Anonymous LivingLivelier said...

#3 and #5 definitely! Either would be bananas. Your mom is a beauty. What fun!
Deb

July 27, 2010 at 6:18 AM  
Blogger Ampersand Design said...

What a lovely thing to do for your parents. Your Mum looks radiant in them all but #5 is my pick. Just stunning.

Sandy K

July 27, 2010 at 8:36 AM  
Anonymous zbsports said...

I like the gown...very simple...the design and the entire preparation...love it...

July 27, 2010 at 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Andreina said...

I loved #3 and #1... so pretty

July 27, 2010 at 9:08 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How exciting to help your mom plan her big day to your dad!! I adore your mom in dress # 1 it looks cute on her, she has a great figure!

July 27, 2010 at 1:04 PM  
Blogger A Pearl In The Making said...

1 & 3 both looked lovely on her.

July 27, 2010 at 2:36 PM  
Blogger Emily @ Mini House said...

I am loving this latest "project"! It's so fun to switch gears. Tough call but I think #1 or #3! Can't wait to for your parent's BIG Day!

July 27, 2010 at 3:57 PM  
Blogger Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

#1 and #3! She is precious!

July 27, 2010 at 10:46 PM  
Blogger RAENOVATE said...

1 and 3 are both perfect! so much fun!

July 28, 2010 at 2:16 PM  
Blogger Oona Johnson said...

#3 is my favorite by far! It's so lovely and classic.

July 28, 2010 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

Dress 4!! Hands down! So sophisticated and it looks like a dream! Carolina Herrera eat your heart out!

July 28, 2010 at 5:53 PM  
Blogger CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

Opps I meant 3, just double checked the number LOL

July 28, 2010 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger Melissa W. said...

sooo sweet. love the last one.

July 28, 2010 at 7:45 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

hello- are you going to share with us her choice- I'm dying over here!!

July 29, 2010 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Hello Lover... said...

This is so sweet - and what a sentiment to their relationship to do this after all that time. Happy Anniversary to them and I hope it's an absolutely amazing day!

July 29, 2010 at 6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home