Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Vintage Gym Locker Baskets

Every time I post a picture of my kitchen the comments and emails start flooding in with people asking me where or where did I purchased those wire baskets.



The wire baskets are actually vintage baskets that use to be used in gym lockers. I purchased mine on ebay and at the moment there are a bunch to pick from.



Check out what's on ebay here. I managed to get 4 baskets for $25 a while back, but I've seen then on ebay for as high as $25 per basket. It's all about luck on ebay.

In doing some research I found some good brand new, but vintage looking baskets available at Anytime Products:





You can also pick up reproductions at your local Pottery Barn for $24:



Restoration Hardware for $39-$59!!!




Land of Nod offers a version for $34-$39:




They are pretty, but way too high in price for my mind. Especially if you want to do a display like this:


{Image via Country Living.}

I would stick with trying to find a vintage option and checking on ebay, craigslist, etsy and your local antique markets. They are everywhere you just have to look for them.





Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Tara Dillard said...

Junior High, ugh, waiting with a gaggle of partially clothed girls to be handed our wire basket full of stinky clothes..........

In hindsight realizing our professional/excellent gym teacher was a lesbian (forbidden knowledge then, no big deal now) and those baskets are vintage decor.

Hmm, I would use a vintage wire locker basket in my garden.

Garden & Be Well, XO Tara

September 29, 2010 at 9:18 AM  
Blogger Sarah Lynne said...

Great post! I love wire baskets!

September 29, 2010 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Tonia Lee Smith said...

I don't have any vintage gym baskets, but a few vintage wire hand-held shopping baskets with the double handles. I love them.

September 29, 2010 at 9:41 AM  
Blogger Maureen Stevens said...

oh sweet! I was just drooling at images of these in a catalog yesterday! It's so French Country!

September 29, 2010 at 11:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how this looks Camilla! We never had these...I can't even remember what our locker room looked like..and it wasn't that long ago for me lol

September 29, 2010 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've been on the lookout for them too! I look into the sources you mentioned

I found a vintage bicycle basket over the weekend that I'm painting black...its ends up looking nice I'll use in our linen closet of not its going in the garage to corral laundry products.

September 29, 2010 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger Lissa Pierce said...

Love these! They would be perfect to hold fabrics in my office....so original I know :) Thanks for the ebay tip....hope I find a good deal like you did!

September 29, 2010 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

I dont think I asked where you got them, I think my comment was more like when are you going to give them to me? :) xoxox

September 29, 2010 at 12:36 PM  
Blogger Debbie@Vintage Scout Interiors said...

We can't keep them in our shop when we can manage to find the vintage ones. They are going up in price.
Debbie
www.vintagescout.com

September 29, 2010 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

The Container Store has something similar that's fairly affordable as well!

xo, c

September 29, 2010 at 1:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just bought two wire locker baskets at an antique fair this past weekend! Love them and have a lot of ideas for more of then in the house. The two I bought store my kids shoes near the front door.

September 29, 2010 at 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home