Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Guess who's coming to dinner?

No one at my house because I still don't have my dining room put together. As you all probably recall I've had 2 dining room sets so far and each has had it's own set of problems.

Right now I'm still waiting for Pottery Barn to pick up our latest set due to defects on the finish. I have a hutch that I picked up at a local thrift store. It still needs to be painted, but until I decide on a new set I'm leaving it as is. So all that is needed it a table, chairs and a server or bar.

I've been searching high and low trying to find the perfect fit. I've changed my mind thousands of times. I like so many different styles that's it hard for me to settle on just one style.

My original inspiration for the dining room was a picture we all know very well:

My Favorite Something's Gotta Give room.


I never ended up going this route, because everything that I found in this style was out of my price range.

I decided to give another look recently and see if there was anything out there now. I found something that is not totally what I want, but with a couple of tweaks could get there.

Here is the round table when extended it turns into an oval:



I would then get 4 of these Parson style chairs:



I like the tufted look, but I'm not crazy about the color on them or the exposed legs. I would love to get slipcovers made in a WHITE fabric. (I wonder how much begging I'll have to do with my MIL to see if she would make them for me!)

What can I say I've been spending too much time with Lauren. I'm obsessed with having a room full of white in my home and it's going to be the dining room!

My favorite part of this set is that it comes with the option of getting a bench, which I would totally do and again have it slip covered.




I'm still not convinced, because I need to go take a look at it in person and see what the quality is like, but I'm hoping it will work out. At least I'm making some head way.

So do we love it or hate it?

15 Comments:

Blogger Maria Killam said...

Love it! But you should mention that it's 'somethings gotta give's' dining room, you'll get a lot more traffic. people google it all the time :) (as you know)

February 17, 2009 at 8:13 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

I love it! I also love that you can change up the look at anytime- well that means begging your MIL again, but its easy to switch out the fabric of the chairs, add a ribbon on them, maybe a monogrammed slipcover- ah so many choices- LOVE IT!

February 17, 2009 at 8:19 PM  
Blogger High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Thanks Maria! I fixed it. I'm also gonna need to bug you with a color question I have, but I'll that for tomorrow.

I knew you would love it Linds! I was thinking monograms as well.

February 17, 2009 at 8:21 PM  
Blogger Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

i like it alot... and love the idea of the bench and slipcovered chairs!

February 17, 2009 at 9:18 PM  
Blogger K said...

Just something to think about (not having a *clue* about the size of your room) -- most round tables that extend into an oval comfortably seat 6 extended, which is a pretty small dining table. Something like SGG table in your picture actually expands into a bigger circle (Baker makes a bunch of these if you want to see an example). So depending on the shape of your room, you might want to think about something that is truly oval? But in general, love the inspiration board and good luck. It has taken us a year and I still don't have chairs!

February 17, 2009 at 9:50 PM  
Blogger Kate Riley said...

Have you seen the upholstered couture chair from Ballard Designs? I have four of them around my dark wood oval dining table and I change out the slipcovers with the seasons: ecru velvet in the winter, butter twill in the summer. Many choices, and for $39 per pleated skirt slipcover, you can't beat the price. I've loved this set for 5 years now. Just a thought.

February 18, 2009 at 12:19 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Isn;t it hard making a decision for your own home !!!! agh....it's so exciting to think about starting but when it comes to the crunch ahhhhhhhh......I adore the bench seat !!!!!!!!!!

February 18, 2009 at 5:06 AM  
Blogger alison giese Interiors said...

Very classy, indeed! My favorite part is the bench option. Do you mind sharing the vendor name?

February 18, 2009 at 11:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh I love that bench!

February 18, 2009 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Oh of course I love it!!!!! Going to be SO beautiful!!!!! you can have so much fun changing up your able settings!!!
xoxo

February 18, 2009 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Yay glad you ladies like it. Now I just have to go look at in person.

Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Kate,

You are totally right it will only fit with 6 chairs. It's not a huge room and is pretty much a perfect square. I'm going to table up the floor with blue tape and see how it would fit. I don't think I could get anything in much larger than that.

CG,

Oh I love those Ballard chairs. Especially the pleated ones. I'm going to price it out and see what the best bargin is.

As for the vendor well it's from a company called Bobs. It's www.mybobs.com. They have really inexpensive, but good quality furnture. This would in ways be our forever set, but it would look good in the house and fit the space.

February 18, 2009 at 4:57 PM  
Blogger Kate Riley said...

One more note, I really love the Ballard chairs because you can also get the slipcovers in the full length fabric skirts. For you, perhaps the white quilted fabric they offer? Fab. Another nice thing about these chairs: they look great anywhere in your house, not just at the dining table. Great versatility. Good luck. :-)

February 18, 2009 at 5:08 PM  
Blogger Sarah's Fab Day said...

I love it.

February 19, 2009 at 4:09 PM  
Blogger Freckles Chick said...

Love love LOVE!

February 19, 2009 at 6:15 PM  
Blogger No.35style said...

i was going to mention the ballard's knife pleat slipcovers, but i see someone beat me to it! It is soo hard trying to make these kinds of decisions!!

February 24, 2009 at 7:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home