Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Outdoor Living that's chic and cheap!

viceroy



Image of Viceroy Pool Cabana designed by Kelly Wearstler from here.



To most of the design obsessed the pool cabana pictured above is their ideal picture of a chic outdoor living arrangement. I do not disagree. I would love to be sitting poolside at the Viceroy in Santa Monica for my entire summer, but that’s just not going to  be happening.



Lately I’ve been thinking about my outdoor space and how it is pretty much a blank slate. Thinking of warm days and how I would just love to be able to take the laptop outside and work had me brainstorming on what I could do. So why not try and make my own little pool cabana sans pool!



Here’s what we need to achieve a similar look that is probably easier on the wallet:



First version:



Canopy: $278.00



canopy



To dress it up you can buy ribbon and put trim on the top. Also for more privacy you can buy some fabric and make very simple curtain panels that will use the canopy poles as it’s rod in indoor/outdoor fabric for around $ 9 a yard.



Instead of a massive outdoor sofa that would be pricy how about using a set of lounge chairs:



If you don’t have chaise loungers already then you can pick some up here for $170 each. Then for only $19.99 you can add some fun and a punch of color in a cover:



chaise lounger orange chaise cover



Then so that we don’t have to stick our toes in the grass we can add an indoor/outdoor jute  rug from here for only $170!

natural jute



Next how about we add one or two side tables at only $50 a piece to stack our magazines or drinks:



white side table



Then of course we need a little art work. You can get a picture printed on canvas for $150 and  hang it up with the help of the canopy poles and some invisible fishing line.



artwork for canopy



To add some additional pops of fun and happy head to Pearl River Mart and pick up some lanterns for $8.50 each. Which you can also hang from the canopy poles with invisible fishing line. The would look great staggered in different heights.



orange lantern paper lanterns



Plus for a little wow and let’s face it so we don’t need to move an inch lets add this as well: Outdoor cooler for $200.



outdoor cooler



So for around $1,000- $1,300 depending on what you already have and whether not you add the cooler you can add a great additional “room” to your home for the spring/summer season.



I’ll be doing another additional post later in the day for a more glam version of an outdoor cabana!



Stay tuned!

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger pve design said...

I must have a thing for these sort of outdoor spaces too, I have a folder with ideas - I love pavilions, patios, courtyards and living "al fresco" in the summer!

April 15, 2009 at 11:08 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

great post, if i had my own house and outdoor space would definitely be on my wish list.

April 15, 2009 at 11:36 AM  
Blogger Kate Riley said...

Brilliant ideas....so inspired !

April 15, 2009 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

HH:
Thanks for dropping by, otherwise, I might never have 'met' you. I adore your blog (and, of course, your delightful banner from PVE!) Come back often, as will I. I think we share many loves!
HGL

April 15, 2009 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger LindsB said...

I dont have an outdoor living space, but I think that outdoor cooler would fit perfectly in my family room. Imagine never have to get up and go to the kitchen for a cocktail again- what a great idea!

April 15, 2009 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

great ideas!!! the budget is amazing too!! love it!!

April 15, 2009 at 11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love it! And especially love the REASONABLE budget!

April 15, 2009 at 1:31 PM  
Blogger My Notting Hill said...

The canopy is a terrific find. Checked out their site and noticed they have a blue and white one - am seriously considering it. Thanks! Michele

April 15, 2009 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger Debra said...

I love small out buildings and have a folder full. These would be just perfect for lounging about on a warm summers day- umbrella cocktail in hand!

April 15, 2009 at 2:59 PM  
Blogger paula said...

We are working on our outdoor space now. Tons of work. I really like your ideas:)

April 15, 2009 at 3:24 PM  
Blogger Cara said...

Great breakdown for everyone to enjoy. I really like the idea of having a picture put on canvas so personalize the whole thing.

April 15, 2009 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger MissKarenAshley said...

Looks great. I would love if you could post some cute (and cheap)weatherproof daybeds or love seats for a screened in patio.

Karen
www.simplylovelyideas.blogspot.com

April 15, 2009 at 7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm working on our outdoor space too. I guess it's that time of year! Thanks for the Overstock.com links - I'm going to go check it out now.

April 15, 2009 at 8:28 PM  
Blogger Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

So great. And the outdoor cooler would be on my list!

April 15, 2009 at 8:49 PM  
Blogger shi(f)t said...

i fi could hire kelly to design my apartment i totally would--super quirky and fun!~

April 15, 2009 at 10:04 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Hi there! Thanks to your comment, I was able to come over here and see your blog! I love all your pataio ideas! Some great pics! Show it off when you get it all together! Nice to meet you!

April 15, 2009 at 10:28 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

ooh, how much I would love to be sitting in a pool cabana right now! great post!

also, your banner is adorable!

http://anniediamond.blogspot.com

April 15, 2009 at 10:33 PM  
Blogger Laura @ the shorehouse. said...

Yes...I think I need those prism side tables!! Just hopped over to Overstock and they're even CHEAPER now! Yay. me! Yay, High Heeled Foot in the Door! :-)

April 19, 2009 at 1:41 PM  
Blogger My Galveston Cottage said...

I'm with you...been thinking about outdoor "cabanas." I want one and I appreciate you doing some of the homework for me! cheers, -susan

April 20, 2009 at 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home