Monday, September 21, 2009

Weekend Recap: Paddling & Fleas

Intriguing title, right?



A lot my lovely readers wonder how Jon (my hubby) puts up with all my crazy home projects. Why? Well because normally when I do a project and say, “We” it’s really  just Jon doing all the labor and me standing around giving him orders.



The other day when I requested help with a crazy  new project and Jon didn’t answer with a yes dear I told him, “ I don’t care how it get’s done. I just need it to get done. Don’t bother me with the details!” (*Lovely Readers please don’t hate me I just went a bit nutty)  Ah not a good moment for me. I’ve been stressed with many projects piling up so I took it up on him.



Well hubby looked me in the eye and told me I was making Jeff Lewis look like a saint and to please do a take two. Feeling like the world’s worst wife I decided to try and do something sweet for him and go canoeing with him.



Here are some highlights from our trip:



DSC02575 Don’t worry I helped paddle as well. We went 4 miles out so that meant a round trip of 8 miles! To say my arms ache is an understatement.



DSC02587 Poor Jon tired fishing, but all he caught was 5 of those tiny little bait fishes he is holding up.



DSC02574 I spotted this home on our trip. It’s for sale complete with a greenhouse and barn. I don’t hate that!



DSC02584 Jon has quite the love affair with nature and this is where he is his happiest. The trip was a lot of fun and when I mentioned picking up Moe’s for dinner. Jon got a huge smile and said, “I knew I married you for a reason.” Moe’s is his absolute favorite take-out and I’m hoping it made up for me being nutty.



Since Jon had a day dedicated to something he loves I figured Sunday should be dedicated to something I love so off we went to the Brooklyn Flea under the Brooklyn Bridge.

DSC02601
It was a gorgeous day and I was excited to check everything out!



Our first stop was at People Pops:



DSC02602



The stand basically sells shaved ices with syrup or fruit pops. They started out in April and have been running ever since producing 1,200 a week. They are known for their unusual combinations such as watermelon and basil, which is what we tried out.



I went a little camera crazy so bear with me below and check out what caught my eye:



DSC02604



My mom and Danay both fell in love with these mirrors. They are made from reclaimed ceiling tiles, but they weren’t the $500 price tag that went along with them.



Vintage suitcases caught my eye:



DSC02609 



I’m certain these hot pink numbers won’t get lost at baggage claim:



DSC02612



Many booths were dedicated to selling either prints or frames or both. You had many choices to pick from to fill your gallery walls. I’m still regretting not picking up some vintage postcards. I’ll have to return!



DSC02617 (2)



Tables full of treasures:



DSC02618

DSC02619



My favorite vendor of course had no signage up or people just amazing finds!


DSC02628



Amazing brown sofa that was made of sort of fur. Not sure what kind. It wasn’t in perfect condition, but I loved it’s lines.



DSC02630



Huge, fun round tufted ottoman! Loved it and Danay loved being my model!



DSC02631



I’m not exactly sure what those stacked metal trays were, but I wanted them!



I wanted to walk away with this sweet bench below:



DSC02632



Ah don’t worry folks Danay is back for my final shot on another amazing find. Love the worn in green leather, the tufting, the nail head trim. I need it!



DSC02634



Of course I needed some nourishment after all that shopping so we waiting on the very long for Pizza Moto, which has a mobile brick oven pizza oven. Each pie is made to order, which makes the wait even longer, but it was delicious!



Overall it was a great weekend with lots of fun outings and I even managed to squeeze in some home projects that will be revealed this week!



How was your weekend?



xoxo,



Camila

Labels:

29 Comments:

Blogger Lauren said...

what a fun weekend!! danay's so gorgeous!!! AND GLAD JON GOT HIS FUN IN!!! what a sweeite!!
xoxoxo

September 21, 2009 at 10:56 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I want that tufted ottoman!

September 21, 2009 at 11:07 AM  
Blogger vicki archer said...

What a great weekend....The paddling looks fantastic but the flea market....now that looked like a serious commitment too. I hope your arms were equally tired form carrying home all your goodies, xv.

September 21, 2009 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Ours was pretty fun too. We took the kid to cloudy with a chance of meatballs; then to the San Francisco kite festival on Saturday. Sunday my husband gave me the entire day off to read and nap and do whatever I want. Too bad monday's here all ready.

September 21, 2009 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

You're so lucky you have flea markets like that. We have them, ours are just a little ghetto and don't have near as much cool stuff. Sounds like a great weekend!

September 21, 2009 at 11:33 AM  
Blogger LindsB said...

What a fun weekend! And arent you a nice wife that you go with him on his man trips to make up for all the projects you have him doing...oh and I almost spit my coffee out with the "dont bother me with the details" comment- f*ckin LOVE IT!

I think I just said my first swear word while blogging :)

September 21, 2009 at 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hot pink suitcases=amazing.

September 21, 2009 at 12:01 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

What a perfect sounding weekend! I love it!

September 21, 2009 at 12:04 PM  
Blogger MFAMB said...

dying over that green couch!!

September 21, 2009 at 12:54 PM  
Blogger bluehydrangea said...

Looks like a great weekend!! that fur sofa is the bomb!!

September 21, 2009 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

That is a great weekend! Love the outdoor flea market and all the great finds.

September 21, 2009 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger Gwen said...

I want to trade weekends with you, 'kay?

That green couch would be wonderful in my master bedroom.

September 21, 2009 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

What a great weekend!!! The city I live in has no lakes nearby...so no canoeing....as for the flea market thing...I'm not sure if we even have one here either...but I'm definitely going to look into it after seeing all the treasures that you found!

September 21, 2009 at 2:39 PM  
Blogger PS~Erin said...

Sounds like my kind of weekend! That flea market looks irresistibly awesome.

Great weekend here. Some rest and lots of productivity. Yay!

September 21, 2009 at 2:53 PM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

Love brooklyn flea. That is a much cooler spot than where they used to have it.

I think next time I come to NY We need to make a visit there.

Looks like it was gorgeous weather too.

September 21, 2009 at 3:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a wonderful time you both must have had, Camila. I'll take all of those tufted pieces, please!

September 21, 2009 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hahaha so many glamour shots!thanks for letting me be model for the day. I love Brooklyn Flea...we need to return when I start decorating my apartment...what is your going rate these days?

I'm going to need a fab designer.

September 21, 2009 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger Chic Coles said...

What a good wife you are! I love canoeing, but it does get tiring after a while with all of that paddling. I would LOVE to go to the Brooklyn Flea market, is there a specific season they run it? I won't be back up north until Christmas and i'm assuming they will not be out in the cold!

September 21, 2009 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger Yansy said...

It sounds like you had a fabulous weekend! I nominated you for an Honest Scrap Award. Come by my page to get the details.

September 21, 2009 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger Yansy said...

It sounds like you had a fabulous weekend! I nominated you for an Honest Scrap Award. Come by my page to get the details.

September 21, 2009 at 7:39 PM  
Blogger Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Love the pink vintage suitcases and green leather tufted sofa.

Very cute blog!

xo,
cristin

September 21, 2009 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Viera said...

what a great trip and flea markets.
Fantastic
X
V

September 21, 2009 at 11:47 PM  
Blogger Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! And I love those metal trays/baskets... I would have wanted all of them!

September 22, 2009 at 8:40 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Now that looks like a perfect outing to me! I'm jealous. What kind of prices are these people asking for their amazing furniture? Would love to know!

September 22, 2009 at 10:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This gave me a good chuckle. I've always got projects lined up for my husband. I'll tell him where to hang the picture or drill the hole, but usually have him do it! Good for you for giving him some time off. My man escapes to the golf course. :)

September 22, 2009 at 12:54 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend!! I'm always so jealous of people who have access to such amazing flea markets! Most of the stuff I run into is truly junk.

By the way, the couch looks like it's covered with cowhide, and that a few places have rubbed off (which is normal for wear). It's very common, actually. And 99.9% of furry-hide things (like rugs, upholstery, even zebra rugs!) are cow hides that are dyed or stenciled to look however they are supposed to look.

September 23, 2009 at 2:18 PM  
Blogger abby jenkins said...

In a perfect world, I would have that fur (cowhide?) sofa and that tufted ottoman in my new waterfront house with greenhouse and barn! What a delightful day you had. Made me smile.

September 23, 2009 at 9:21 PM  
Blogger Christen said...

No worries, we all have our moments ;)

September 26, 2009 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger A Refocused Life said...

I had to go back to the vintage luggage and the 'house for sale' part twice. Glad you had fun. Thanks for sharing.

September 27, 2009 at 1:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home