Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Come to my window

Lately I’ve had window treatments on the brain!



More specifically I’ve had window panels on the brain that give off that great world traveler/ethnic /earthy vibe.



One of my favorite textile designers for that look is anything from John Robshaw:



The man just hits it on the nail every single time. I just want to wrap myself in all of those fabrics!



Another favorite has to be Madeline Weinrib. Not only are her rugs, “I die” beautiful, but her great use of pattern continue on in her fabrics as well.



Here is one of my favorites:





While both of the above options are rather high in price they are not the only ones available to get a similar look and feel.




West Elm has a great alternative:



Medallion Window Panel



Ballard Designs has a different, but similar take as well:





But my favorite chic and cheap solution is to go the DIY route. If was going to do this I would make my own panels with drop cloths. One package for $10 could easily make two panels.



Then to get the pattern on instead of the block printing technique the lovely designers above used I would make my own foam stamp.



All you need is craft foam make sure to get it half inch thick:





Then either draw the design free hand, print out an image from the web to copy or use a cookie cutter.



Cut it out and glue to a small piece of wood and voila a custom stamp. Make sure you use fabric paint so that they can be washed.



The stamp technique would work best with a simple pattern such as the medallion print from West Elm.





If you wanted to do a much busier pattern I would make a custom stencil instead.



This site has free printable stencils that you can copy onto stencil paper or free hand the design yourself on stencil paper and use an exacto knife to cut it out..



I found one example of it from the blog: Homemade By Jill

I’m now itching to try these techniques out myself!



Have you done anything similar in your own home?

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Karen said...

I want someone else to try it first and teach me everything that could go wrong. Is that asking too much?

October 7, 2009 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

I've been thinking of making my own stencils - how fun would that be to be able to say that I made that wall (or whatever) look awesome?!? Thanks for reminding me that I need to do that. :)

~ Liz
www.itsgreattobehome.net

October 7, 2009 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

I've never tried anything like this, but I'm thinking I just might!

October 7, 2009 at 1:58 PM  
Blogger Flavia @ Estilo Home said...

That's funny, I was just thinking about stenciling my curtains yesterday! I also love those pricier curtains and was thinking of a cheaper alternative. I'll let you know if I go through with it.

October 7, 2009 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger pve design said...

I like how you make it your own!

October 7, 2009 at 2:56 PM  
Blogger MFAMB said...

great ideas!! which drop cloths are you referring to? everytime i go to HOME D there are like 6 different kinds.
thanks.

October 7, 2009 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

I love everything John Robshaw does. Great idea about using the craft foam to make the stencil. I saw these great panels at Anthro but now I think I can make them.

I'm glad you liked my photo. Thanks for visiting my blog.

October 7, 2009 at 3:25 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

What a great idea- you have to try it and let us all know how it turns out for sure!

October 7, 2009 at 3:40 PM  
Blogger LifestyleBohemia said...

Great idea! I love the ethnic vibe of the west elm window treatments. I am also shopping for window treatments and will most likely get those for the bedrooms.
Have a great day!

October 7, 2009 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger Maria Johns said...

Camila...eeeek! dying over here...such a great idea! I love those westelm curtains and have been eyeing them up for awhile now! also love weinrab's designs too, if only she'd come out with budget friendly options!

October 7, 2009 at 4:06 PM  
Blogger alison giese Interiors said...

Camila:
Do you know of a good, online site for fabric paint? There's NO hope of finding any in stores down here - and I am truly inspired by your stripes!!

P.S. - I apologize if you've already noted this - I'm a little behind on my blog reading :(

October 7, 2009 at 5:55 PM  
Blogger Averill said...

What a wonderful idea! I even think doing it yourself would yield a more "authentic"/handmade feel than you'd get with anything screen printed.

October 7, 2009 at 7:41 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Another great idea! You should try the foam stamp and let us know how it goes.

October 7, 2009 at 8:02 PM  
Blogger Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Great idea... I can't wait for someone to try this so I can see!

October 7, 2009 at 9:26 PM  
Blogger Yansy said...

I love this idea, I might end up trying it myself.

October 7, 2009 at 10:06 PM  
Blogger Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I haven't stenciled fabric but I have stenciled floors, walls, ceilings, stairs, furniture in my house in Marrakech. *love* it!

October 8, 2009 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

what great ideas!!! i've been trying to think of something cheap & pretty for the new baby's room so maybe this will work??!!!! if i get off my behind??!! hahah
xoxoxoxo

October 8, 2009 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

oooooooo i want to try this badly!! what a simple & inexpensive diy. if you do follow through with it please let us know how it goes & what {if any} tips you have on making it turn out well!

YAY!
Jen

October 8, 2009 at 10:12 AM  
Blogger paula said...

such a fun idea. I am trying to find drapes in a perfect shade for my bedroom. much harder than expected. although this may be an idea that could work.

October 8, 2009 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm always torn with pattern in a room...where to place it. I am really wanting this chinoiserrie print in brown cotton for drapes right now...I may do it.

Best,
Michelle

October 8, 2009 at 12:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

love these finds - curtains and window treatments seem really difficult to find pre-made. these are really great.

October 8, 2009 at 12:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I know, almost four months later i'm commenting:) Just wanted to let you know I mentioned this post one my blog. I love your idea and can't wait to try it!
http://afabulousfete.blogspot.com/

January 27, 2010 at 11:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home