Thursday, October 8, 2009

Welcoming Style

I know that in this day and age many major home design projects have been put on hold, but that doesn’t mean a couple of little ones can’t done.



One of the first places to start would be your front door!



Your front door is one of the first things people see when they arrive at your home and it should be a reflection of your style. Here are some simple things you can do to re-vamp your casa.



1. Paint!



{Miles Reed’s front door}



Paint is always my first go-to fix when I’m on a strict design budget. You know I love color and my views on painting a front door are no different! Go bold and stand out! Everyone has a white door. Some of my favorite doors in the neighborhood are black, British racing green, pink, fire engine red and coral!



{Image via Curlin Reed Sullivan}



Check out some designers favorite color picks for a first impression here.




I also love a good shine so I tend to go with a high-gloss, but depending on your own homes style I tamer sheen may be in order.



Here are some steps for painting your front door. It’s best to do it when it’s still a bit warm out so for us East Coasters our days are numbered!



2. House numbers.



All of your vistors will have laid their eyes on your house number simply because it’s what lets them know they have arrived at the correct location.



First step and really only step  is to make sure you have them shown prominently and again pick a style that shows off your sense of style.



You can paint or use vinyl numbers to place your house number on your freshly painted door:



Home tour anyone? Come on in!, Step in out of the cold and grab a cup of coffee! Welcome to our home a virtual tour!, Bedrooms Design

{Image via My Sweet Savannah}



You can etch them in glass or buy solid window film and cut out the letters/numbers yourself. :



{Image via Apartment Therapy}



Or just switch out the metal house numbers to a new set that reflex the style of your home in a better light.



Available here, but I’ve seen something similar at my local Home Depot for much less.





3. Let there be light!



{ This piece is available at Lowes for around $35}



For lighting whether it be a hanging lantern or matching wall fixtures I would immediately head to Home Depot or Loews. They have a great variety at inexpensive price points. I also wouldn’t be afraid to go to town with a can of outdoor spray paint and paint it in whatever color I so choose.



4. Step all over me.



A custom door mat is always adds a nice personalized touch to an entry way. Of course I would go the DIY route with a stencil of my monogram, some taping and spraypaint and we would be in business!



FYI: I was at Big Lots last week and they had a chic chevron print doormat for only $8! Go check your local store out. I went back yesterday to pick one up and they were all gone. Le sigh…





5. Ring my bell: A unique doorbell cover is also an inexpensive way to add a bit of kitchy personality to your front door.



Here is a snap of my front door. I painted the door black last year and I love it! Plus I had to purchase that cute black and white pooch that goes perfectly with my black/white cottage.



DSC02768



I hope you enjoyed my suggestions for a new facelift for your home. All the projects featured above can be done on a dime and with a short time frame!



Is you front door painted a look at me color? If it is I would love to see it!

Labels:

30 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post! I LOVE that first door. So stylish!

October 8, 2009 at 1:20 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

I wish I didnt live in an apartment when these posts come up, I would LOVE to do a fun color on my front door. I would go with orange..suprise, suprise right.

I'm thinking of painting the inside of my door a chic glossy black, I wonder how the landlord would feel about that?

October 8, 2009 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger sonya audrey said...

Oh, I'd love to add a pop of color to my front door. :) Maybe green...or yellow!

October 8, 2009 at 1:36 PM  
Blogger Alex said...

My favorite door is the pink one!

Hmmm....wonder what my landlord will think if I do this??

October 8, 2009 at 1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Lindsay in apartmentville... it's so sad. Such are the downsides of living in an expensive city :-). Did you see the door knockers on "The Designer's Attic" they are simply awesome! http://thedesignersattic.blogspot.com/
I would get a cool door knocker if I had my own door!!

October 8, 2009 at 2:11 PM  
Blogger Fargerike Dagny said...

That Miles Redd door is, as you know, my absolute fave!!! The green door below it is also stunning though!! Great post! :D

xoxo

October 8, 2009 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

Fab post! So many great ideas. I love having a unique, welcoming door. Paint is perfect, but I never even thought about having cool numbers. I love the etching in the glass!

October 8, 2009 at 2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are great ideas! Makes me wish I wasn't in a condo assoc. Even though they're cool, I don't know if I can paint my door. Will have to ask. Ours is pretty boring.

October 8, 2009 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

Great post, they are great ways to update a boring front door.

October 8, 2009 at 2:42 PM  
Blogger The Wife of a Fisherman said...

I recently painted our front door a high gloss black and added a door knocker. it made a huge difference and cost almost nothing!

October 8, 2009 at 2:45 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Limestone said...

Wonder what paint was used on that front door - it just pops right off the screen.

October 8, 2009 at 3:12 PM  
Blogger Maria Johns said...

Such great creative ideas on a budget, thanks for the big lots tip too...ill check it out!

October 8, 2009 at 3:44 PM  
Blogger Ms. Bright said...

Fantastic post, Camila!
I have looked at that same pic of Miles Reed's front door today, too!
I painted the ext. of ours Festoon Aqua (SW 0019) last year and couldn't be happier. I'm about to paint the inside gloss black, since I just did this to the 2 in our mudroom and it's beyond killer!

October 8, 2009 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

how fun! i love entryways!

October 8, 2009 at 4:19 PM  
Blogger Red Lipstick said...

Entry ways are wonderful. I'm stumped on my courtyard, however, I need to make it more private (if you have any ideas?! ;-)

October 8, 2009 at 7:09 PM  
Blogger court. said...

paint it all black! I'm super-jealous seeing as the door to my rental is PUMPKIN. ewie.

October 8, 2009 at 7:59 PM  
Blogger Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

I love the ideas for the door numbers. Adorable.

October 8, 2009 at 8:54 PM  
Blogger ::levina:: said...

swooning over that first door.

btw...you've got a great blog :)

October 8, 2009 at 9:58 PM  
Blogger Maria Killam said...

Excellent suggestions! I love that hot pink door! Wow, I need to run out and paint my front door now!

October 8, 2009 at 11:48 PM  
Blogger Hopeless Chest said...

I love those brightly painted front doors. Maybe I'll paint the front door in my sun porch... when I move in. It will have to coordinate with the red-orange orignal brick though :S

October 9, 2009 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger Be Colorful Coastal said...

Loved this post. I was thinking about doing a front door myself since I am debating painting my front door. It sounds crazy but I am thinking of a bright golden yellow. Our home is traditional white with black or charcoal shutters. Currently the door is a cranberry and has been for about six years. I'm thinking it is tim to mix it up but I never thought about bright green. Very interesting. Now I am even more confused :)

October 9, 2009 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Averill said...

Our front door is stained wood...and it's nice but nothing special. I'd love to paint it a bright blue a la Redd's door but would have to go through HOA first (ugh).

When I was in Dublin I saw street after street of GORGEOUS front doors. I only wish I had thought to take pictures of them all! Serious perfection.

October 9, 2009 at 7:27 PM  
Blogger Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

great post! love, love that first image.

October 10, 2009 at 8:36 PM  
Blogger Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

How funny! I am working on a post regarding painting a front door and have a couple of these images (couldn't pass up using Mile's).

Lovely post!!!

xo,
cristin

October 13, 2009 at 12:44 AM  
Anonymous Double Glazing Birmingham said...

Impressive design! These doors come with a variety of detail choices from type of wood, style of design, color, texture, glass panes, and varnishing.

May 31, 2010 at 1:22 PM  
Anonymous Double Glazing said...

There is some maintenance required with these doors, the benefits are worth the work.

November 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM  
Anonymous Window & Door Replacement said...

Very nice designs. Sites like this provide customers with the essential idea they need to make a smart online purchase of window and door as well its installation.

November 26, 2010 at 5:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our son painted their door a darker shade of orange that coordinated with the brick siding. I thought they were crazy when I heard about it but it looks great!

April 30, 2012 at 9:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

“Your front door is one of the first things people see when they arrive at your home and it should be a reflection of your style.”—I definitely agree! It is something that reflects our personality aside from the interior of the house. Anyway, these doors you posted are soo beautiful, especially the last one. It’s full of character. Haha!

Willene Fagen

April 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM  
Anonymous Katie Nicoll said...

I'm glad that you made your home beautiful even with a small budget. By simply painting your roof, window, front door, or wall, you can achieve the kind of look you want for your home. It' so easy! What's better is that it's indeed more practical than other home design approaches.

April 26, 2013 at 11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home