Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I heart the library!

I love going to the library. Where else can you go and browse around for hours, not get bothered by anyone talking to you, shop to your hearts content, leave with a handful of goodies and not have to spend a penny! It's heaven. I can spent hours in there browsing through the books, dvds, cds and magazines. It feels like I’m shopping because I get to walk out with a handful of things and the icing on the cake is that it’s FREE!

 



My latest love for the library has come from discovering the 700,000 images available at the New York Public Library Digital Gallery

 



Here are some of my favorites:

 



Typical floor plan of the Hendrik Hudson Apartments.


{Typical Floor Plan of 1910 NYC apt}




[Various birds on attached cards.]



{Bird cards}



Birds of the East.



{Birds of the East: There were many different birds like this. Imagine a massive wall filled with them!}



[Cheney Brothers dress pattern.]



{Vintage Dress patterns: Would look oh so chic in  a fashionista’s room.}



[Abstract design based on peacock feathers.]



{I have a soft spot in my heart for Peacocks. A quick search lead me to these amazing feathers!}

 



With 700, 000 images available I could go on and on. Now you can order prints thru the site that run around $30, but it also gives you the option to print them yourself for FREE! All images can be saved on to your computer and even sent to your local Kinko's to get enlarged.

 



Enjoy!

Labels: ,

28 Comments:

Blogger Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Wow- great idea! I love the vintage dress patterns!

November 18, 2009 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger Anna said...

I heart libraries too! Of course I'm a librarian so that's normal. Thanks for sharing this great site! I was unaware of this collection and am so excited about it, both professionally and personally.

November 18, 2009 at 1:03 PM  
Blogger Karyn said...

Me too except that I may be the sole financial supporter of our local library with my ginormous late fees.

November 18, 2009 at 1:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are a great find! Wish I had that resource near me!

November 18, 2009 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Wow, thanks Camila! I could spend hours at that site. I've already printed out an old song book cover for myself and some sheet music that I'll frame for a wedding gift. Score!

November 18, 2009 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

I've ALWAYS had a love for libraries! Recently joined again in Nashville! These images are GREAT and it's so amazing you can print at home! Thanks!!!

November 18, 2009 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Maria Johns said...

Fantastic find, camila! I absolutely love the library and take my three yr old there daily, its awesome.

November 18, 2009 at 1:34 PM  
Blogger Ms. Bright said...

Awesome! I love vintage prints...what a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

November 18, 2009 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger Fargerike Dagny said...

Wow, great resource! And how amazing that it's online!!

November 18, 2009 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger Averill said...

What a great source for inexpensive art work! I love this idea. Thanks for sharing!

November 18, 2009 at 2:25 PM  
Blogger MFAMB said...

what an awesome find and share. thanks woman.

November 18, 2009 at 2:38 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Love love love this! Thanks for posting. I'm always on the lookout for stuff like this.

November 18, 2009 at 3:05 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

Such a great idea, the library is just full of fun stuff!

November 18, 2009 at 4:14 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Sabbe said...

I LOOOVE the library. we check out movies there too. great deal:)

November 18, 2009 at 4:15 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

Amazing finds! I absolutely love the bird prints.

Thanks so much for sharing!!

November 18, 2009 at 4:22 PM  
Blogger E said...

I too love the library here in Boston. I'm not sure if we have this same database, but I do know that the Museum of Fine Arts does.

I had no idea you could send stuff off to kinkos...thanks for the tip :)

November 18, 2009 at 4:34 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I too, am a library junkie!!!
So many great things - all free (provided you return them on time)!! Have a great day!

November 18, 2009 at 4:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

the bird cards and the vintage dress patterns are both so great!

November 18, 2009 at 4:53 PM  
Blogger Re:Fresh Design Studio said...

What a cool find! Thanks for sharing!

November 18, 2009 at 6:32 PM  
Blogger The Red Velvet Shoe said...

The dress pattern is amazing!

M

November 18, 2009 at 8:34 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

What a great tip. I love the peacock feathers.

November 19, 2009 at 7:58 AM  
Blogger C+A said...

Sweet find! Thank you so much for sharing!

November 19, 2009 at 10:03 AM  
Blogger Christen said...

Vintage patterns are one of my favorite things to browse through. Just so much more inspiring than the ones available today!

November 19, 2009 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I just heard about the website too! What a great resource!

November 19, 2009 at 12:51 PM  
Blogger alison giese Interiors said...

Love those bird cards - have a thing for parrots of all sorts!

November 19, 2009 at 1:11 PM  
Blogger BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

I'm swooning over the peacock feathers!

November 20, 2009 at 3:37 PM  
Blogger prashant said...

Thanks for sharing this great site! I was unaware of this collection and am so excited about it,

Work From Home india

November 26, 2009 at 9:45 AM  
Blogger Samantha said...

I've gotten sucked into the digital library too - loved finding my own street on a hundred year old map.

November 30, 2009 at 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home