Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Look for Less: Ruthie Sommers Kitchen

I constantly see this picture pop up on blogs.



ruthersommerskitchen



Why exactly? The kitchen doesn’t look massive, it doesn’t look very expensive full of marble, tile and high-end appliance yet I have kitchen envy.



The simple answer is because it looks like it’s full of personality and charm. I feel like the second you step in that kitchen you feel like your home. With pops of bold color designer Ruthie Sommers made quite an impact.



Another main key to it’s success is that the major impact is done with paint! It’s a low-cost revamp that people can do in their own spaces.



So how do we get the look for less? We start by painting the town black!



soot



Ms. Sommers used Soot by Benjamin Moore. Now BM paint is on the high-end so I would take my paint chip to Home Depot and them make it for me in Behr. I’ve used both brands and both work well. If you choose to prime the walls I would make sure to get a primer with a dark tint. This should prevent the need for many, many coats of Soot.



Don’t forget to raise the roof with this paint job and paint the ceilings!



If you don’t already have a French Door I would try to search for one on craigslist. They are available at local home improvement stores, but are a bit pricey.



ReliaBilt 30



* Not sure if all states have them but we have a Home Depot clearance outlet! Also a good place to check first when starting any home project.



** Another place to look is at Habitat ReStores it’s a shop full of home improvement donations from local contractors and the profits go to Habitat for Humanity!



Of course we need to paint that as well with a pop of color!



I would go with either: BM 733 PALM COAST TEAL



Benjamin Moore 733 Palm Coast Teal



Or: BM 741 SAN JOSE BLUE



Benjamin Moore 741 San Jose Blue



The must go place for a Tole Chandelier has to be ebay! This one was going for $40 and most of them range from around that to $100. A new coat of white paint and up it goes on my black ceiling!





For the artwork I would head right to my local thrift shops for sailboat/ocean scene oil painting. I tend to find them most times I go!



The fish prints are even easier. No need to leave home. A quick google search and I can copy and print all the fishes I desire.





* The images on this site are for sale, but all of them have images without watermarks so print away!



Now we just need to add a Lack shelf and head to Home Goods for blue/white ginger jars.



LACK Wall shelf



I love the little canisters with french writing on top of the refriderator.



I couldn’t find those exact ones, but I think this is a good start:





Depending on whether or not you need a French door this look can be done for around $150-$200.

Labels: , , ,

26 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE it when you do 'Look for less!' Keep it coming!

January 27, 2010 at 12:42 PM  
Anonymous FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

Girl, you're good. This and the last post (that room has been in my files forever) are both amazing. Hope you're enjoying your vacay!

January 27, 2010 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

You're right, I've never noticed that its a pretty normal kitchen. Hey! I have that fridge :)

I love that light fixture. I'm definitely hitting up ebay to look.

January 27, 2010 at 12:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love you for this! These last two posts are my favorite. How about the Drew Barrymore offices Ruthie created- love the colors, especially the aqua one with a red cabinet. So chic!

January 27, 2010 at 12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've had that picture saved on my computer for the longest time. i used it on my blog awhile back... you did a great job of breaking it down :) love it!

January 27, 2010 at 1:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Paint matched by Home Depot in Benjamin Moore colors are never exact (most cases no where close) and they are no where near eachother in quality. Benjamin Moore also sells different levels of paint, most of which are less or the same price as Behr paint but a much better quality.

January 27, 2010 at 1:29 PM  
Blogger Cricket said...

yes please! more "look for less"! good ideas...

January 27, 2010 at 2:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

love this feature! another great post.

January 27, 2010 at 2:24 PM  
Blogger shi(f)t said...

i love the dark navy walls...i wish i had the balls to take the plunge with really dark paint!

January 27, 2010 at 2:30 PM  
Blogger Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Love this look! The chandelier is adorable. Great post.

xo,
cristin

January 27, 2010 at 4:18 PM  
Blogger Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Great post. And, I had no idea about the Habitat clearance centers...great tip. There is one near me.

January 27, 2010 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Beautiful! The door is so cute- love the color and it pops against the black.

January 27, 2010 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

I've always loved this kitchen- what a great re-do on a budget yet again!

January 27, 2010 at 5:27 PM  
Anonymous AppleTree said...

I am loving this week on your blog.

January 27, 2010 at 6:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love the "Look for Less" on your blog, keep it coming.

January 27, 2010 at 8:33 PM  
Blogger Living It At Home said...

Great inspiration to folllow these wonderful rooms! Love these!
~jamilyn

January 27, 2010 at 9:04 PM  
Blogger Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

I love that kitchen!

January 27, 2010 at 9:56 PM  
Anonymous Julia said...

Loved this; suddenly that beautiful kitchen became attainable!

Another great source for free images is Vintage Printables at http://vintageprintable.com/wordpress/

All of their images are free to the public and they've got pretty much everything you can think of!

January 27, 2010 at 11:04 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I would NEVER think about black in the kitchen. But I LOVE it here!

January 27, 2010 at 11:15 PM  
Blogger Haven and Home said...

Great idea Camila! How have you been?

January 28, 2010 at 9:44 AM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

I love the teal door and the chandelier, but I don't have the guts to paint a wall black, haha :)

January 28, 2010 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Sarah La Rose said...

Thanks for breaking this room down for us. It's definitely an easy make-over that just needs a little elbow greese.

January 28, 2010 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Definitely one of my favorite kitchen looks.

January 28, 2010 at 10:07 AM  
Anonymous Magchunk said...

I've been coveting a chandelier like that forever but didn't know what they were called! Thanks for the ebay tip, I'm definitely going to keep an eye out!

January 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

I'm dying to paint a room black. Hold me to my promise that when I move to Denver sometime this year I paint a room black!

January 28, 2010 at 3:00 PM  
Anonymous Bailey @ peppermintbliss said...

Your looks for less are seriously soo good and so inspiring. I am new to the whole ebay, look for less thing, and your ideas help me make the jump from the shabby reality to the awesome design potential! Danke!

January 29, 2010 at 12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home