Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Look for Less: Sara Ruffin Costello’s Kitchen

sara12.jpg



Nice kitchen, right? It’s massive! The actual kitchen with the actual appliances is to the right of the those stools, but I’m just going to concentrate on the sitting areas.



I think one of the things I love most about this room are the window treatments. It looks like it’s by Roberta Roller Rabbit so for a less expensive option I would go with this:



anneselkefabric

I think it gives a similar effect and it’s only $20 a yard.




Moving on to the dining area I would get these chairs:



bentwoodchairhpdetail

They run $93 per chair and you can them in a black finish like the ones in our inspiration shot for an additional $3 per chair. Not bad!



For our pedestal table I would hit Craigslist. I always see many models being sold. I think you would have your pick.



Another option would be to get an unfinished pedestal table. This way you don’t have to deal with sanding in order to get the limed affect our inspiration shot has.



unfinishedpedestalbase

Liming wax can be ordered here along with some DIY steps.



To the left of the dining area there is a console table, topped with a mirror that steals the show for me!



Console Table Look a-like:



sofatable Yes it’s not the right color, but for $142.00 it has the good bones that mimic our inspiration all we need is a quick coat of white!



The table is filled with a variety of topiaries and paints. They add a lovely touch of nature and can be picked up at local nurseries.



For an inexpensive ornate mirror I always head to Ebay and search for SYROCO. It gives you the look of something ornate and normally faux gold, but it’s plastic meaning a low price point for us.



This mirror was going for $82.00 again just an addition of white paint and we are almost finished!



ornatemirror



In this picture we see a bit of the sitting area as well.



The settee used in our inspiration piece was a vintage find. Now if you have the time you can hit your local thrift shops, ebay, and craigslist to snag one as well. I did a quick search and came up empty handed.



For immediate gratification I would pick this up:



setteefull



It’s only $349.99 with the trim pieces all painted in a white/cream and then with a bit of wood stain to rub on for an antique looked I think it would work nicely in the space.



For our toss pillow I would get a yard of this for $16.99



ikatforpillow



To finish it up we need our token sea grass rug. For $76.00 I think it works well with our budget.



5x8seagrassrug



Just perfect! Now all we need is the rest of Sara Ruffin Costello’s stylish home.

Labels: , , ,

33 Comments:

Anonymous Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

I'm loving this series you're doing - and the great DIY tips you're giving us along the way!

January 26, 2010 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger Katy said...

I love this post and saved this picture from Domino a while back!
So funny because I design pillows and last week I ordered this same ikat from L&S (I will be listing them on ebay soon!).
Thanks for the inspiration!
Kate

January 26, 2010 at 10:49 AM  
Blogger I'maNolaGirl said...

I love that setee. What a great find!

January 26, 2010 at 10:51 AM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

I love the colors and the mirror, so chic!

January 26, 2010 at 11:04 AM  
Blogger bluehydrangea said...

Love it!! and that fabric is a great find!!!

January 26, 2010 at 11:13 AM  
Blogger Ms. Bright said...

Great job on the LfL! You know I'm a fan of blue/white!

January 26, 2010 at 11:24 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

You read my mind, I've been looking for some bentwood chairs. Sadly I think I'll have to go with the ikea ones. But I've had my eye out for them when I hit Goodwill.

January 26, 2010 at 11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this was a really fun post. And that tip about the liming wax may be a solution to ???? situation I have with an old bedroom dresser! Thanks!!!

January 26, 2010 at 11:31 AM  
Blogger Heather J said...

great finds. i love that room. so pretty!

January 26, 2010 at 11:45 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

LOVE this Camila! All wonderful ideas. The curtain fabric you found is delicious! I'm really enjoying this whole Look For Less series.

Have a great day!

January 26, 2010 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

great job!! love it!

January 26, 2010 at 11:49 AM  
Blogger CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

Nice work!! Love the blue and the combination of elements. Thanks for the SyRoco tip, too, I did not know that. Did a post last week on Thonet chairs (the dining chairs featured in the room). They were mass produced in Europe and can often be found on Craigslist or Ebay, as well. Just search 'bentwood chairs' or 'Thonet'. I found 6/$180 last week on Craigslist before noticing that Pieces (in Atlanta) offers them for $450/ EA! Wowzers!
Also, big snaps for the bird paper yesterday!

January 26, 2010 at 12:15 PM  
Blogger Kimberly said...

Thank you thank you! I've been looking for some things in this exact design, and it's like you've done all the work for me!

January 26, 2010 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Wow, this is fantastic! So many great finds!

January 26, 2010 at 1:08 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

Very pretty kitchen, I think I even like your budget version better.

January 26, 2010 at 1:18 PM  
Anonymous Laura@JourneyChic said...

I've been eyeing that toss pillow fabric for ages - I think I'm going to use it for a faux roman shade in our powder room.

January 26, 2010 at 2:22 PM  
Blogger RLG said...

Sara's kitchen was featured in Domino (the book) and was THE inspiration for my own kitchen makeover. I love greige walls and navy accents. Probably my all-time favorite combination. So fresh. Great post! xoxo

January 26, 2010 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

you found some really great lookalikes! the unfinished furniture site seems like a great resource and that settee is incredible! i really enjoyed this post :)

January 26, 2010 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Julia said...

I have LOVED this room forever. Thanks for the great post.

January 26, 2010 at 4:00 PM  
Anonymous Christine said...

Thanks for the tip on finding mirrors on ebay!

I have been watching a few on ebay for my dining room and one was just like the gold one you show and my plan too was to paint it white.

January 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM  
Blogger Full House said...

I especially think you did a fabulous job on this look for less because I just happened to have sent for a fabric sample of that blue from LS Sheron.

January 26, 2010 at 6:39 PM  
Blogger meredith said...

LOVE this rug and mirror!!

January 26, 2010 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said...

Great postings this week but you make me sad each day having to remember Domino is gone!

January 26, 2010 at 9:08 PM  
Blogger La Terra C. said...

Thanks for all the $ saving tips.

Link Love: http://stylebent.blogspot.com/2010/01/inspiration.html

January 26, 2010 at 10:24 PM  
Blogger Arianna Belle said...

This is one of my favorite domino kitchens@! You did such an amazing job putting this together! Lovin' that fabric you found for the curtains!

January 27, 2010 at 12:17 AM  
Blogger ###### said...

hmmmmmmmm...

January 27, 2010 at 2:35 AM  
Anonymous Erin said...

I love this Look for Less series, Camila!! Great job! I also wanted to say congrats on being featured on Apartment Therapy- that's kinda a big deal in my book! :) Hope you're having a fun & relaxing vacay!!
Love, Erin (the girl who you so sweetly gave the Shecky's Beauty bag to!)

January 27, 2010 at 9:37 AM  
Blogger Emily A. Clark said...

Great job! Thanks for the tip on searching for the mirrors on Ebay.

The dining chairs remind me of the ones in our old Pizza Hut whie I was growing up :) Amazing how they look so chic in this room!

January 27, 2010 at 11:11 AM  
Blogger I ♥ You said...

that breakfast table looks like it belongs in a cute little cafe! so lovely!

January 27, 2010 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger Sarah Ring said...

Love that fabric!! Cam you are amazing!

January 27, 2010 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger paula said...

This has been the pic I have been fawning over all week in my domino book. Love what you did. so chic.

January 27, 2010 at 5:20 PM  
Blogger JVG said...

I love this post and I love this kitchen! I'm desperately trying to track down those bar stools - and leads!!!?
Thank you!

May 20, 2010 at 5:23 PM  
Anonymous Carolyn said...

Regarding the Wall Street Journal article on Down with Comforters, I beg to disagree. We have used channel-quilted down duvets since we discovered them in England many years ago. The key is channel-quilting, or tubes of down that can move from top to bottom and back when needed. You can shake the down to the bottom of the quilt for summer use and shake it back up for winter. The quilt never looks "lumpy" and is never too warm. These quilts are hard to find since most now seem to be square quilted so the down cannot be shaken down. Try one out and see the difference.

January 16, 2011 at 7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home