Wednesday, February 24, 2010

A game of chance….

When I was little many hours were spent playing Loteria.

 



Playing loteria is very similar to playing a game of Bingo. Main difference is that loteria uses images on a deck of cards instead of numbers on ping-pong balls.

 



The playing cards look like this:

 



 



The person running the game picks cards out of a deck. If you have the card that has been called you place a pinto bean on it. The first person to have a full line whether it be vertically, horizontally, or diagonally wins!

 



I haven’t played the games in years, but recently I thought of them, because they would make for perfect inexpensive artwork!

 



They come in a variety of sizes and can be easily picked up online.

 



This set below only costs $3.95

 



 



To make a bigger statement these 9” x 12” card sheets are only $4.50

 



A large set of 20 is only $10 via Amazon

 

 



Autentica LOTERIA Mexican Bingo Set 20 Tablets Colorful and Educational!

 



You could frame all 20 and make a massive statement on a wall or simply just frame 1 or 2 and them to a gallery wall.

 



The colors are rich and vibrant and a touch of whimsy to a room with the folk art drawings on each card. Plus you can practice your conversational Spanish, because under each image there is the name of item.

 



Loteria Grill restaurants in California even have blown up playing cards used as artwork!

 



IMG_7501

 



Please tell me I’m not the only one that has played this game?

 



Anyone else remember winning the Mexican lottery?

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger Dreams of Perfection said...

I must come clean...I haven't even heard of this game :o( I love the cards though. How hot would this be for a boys room? Really?! A tween to teenage boy.

February 24, 2010 at 11:53 AM  
Anonymous Daniela said...

I took "La Estrella" to Kinko's blew it up and framed it for my dining room a few years ago. It's now at my parents home, in their mudroom. I'll have to post a picture.

February 24, 2010 at 12:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OMG! Remember this game?!! I just a serious flashback to being 7 years old! Haven't even thought of this in years and now I want to buy it. Thanks Cam.

-Danay

PS - Hi Daniela, I'm Camila's sister, Daniela! - I'll just sign my posts Danay, that's what she calls me anyway.

February 24, 2010 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

I've never played, but this is a great idea! I recently framed my great-grandmother's playing cards and it turned out great!

noodleandboof.blogspot.com

February 24, 2010 at 2:04 PM  
Blogger Aesthetic Oiseau said...

I PLAYED! I PLAYED! With my grandmother and aunts as a kid in El Salvador...oh man, you just brought back a major flashback. And we totally played with the pinto beans! I never even thought about these cards as art...great idea. These would perfect for a kid's room.

February 24, 2010 at 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Bailey @ peppermintbliss said...

I did this in my Austin house!! I am going to try to dig up some pics...

February 24, 2010 at 2:31 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

I've never heard of this game, but it sounds fun. I love the idea of framing these cards as art, especially if it was a game you played when you were little

February 24, 2010 at 3:29 PM  
Blogger Christen said...

I've never really even heard of it. But I love the idea of decorating with blown up cards from a childhood game!

February 24, 2010 at 9:06 PM  
Blogger Living It At Home said...

I have never played this game. Looks like fun and the cards are cute!

Have fun~

February 25, 2010 at 10:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We used to play this in Spanish class! IMO, it's WAY more fun than bingo since there are so many colorful pictures.

Such a great idea to blow the cards up.

February 25, 2010 at 11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this game! we always play poolside when were in Mexico!

February 25, 2010 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Risa West said...

my family plays this EVERY christmas. love it. i love this idea, also. i might use it to bring some fun into my tiny boring apartment kitchen

February 25, 2010 at 3:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love loteria! Ages ago, I found wrapping paper of the cards then framed it. Great way to bring in some color and fond memories.

February 25, 2010 at 9:56 PM  
Blogger Arianna Belle said...

We used to play this for hours too when we had big family gatherings! Unfortunately we don't play it that often anymore but when we do -it's so much fun! I like when my husband is the one to call out the cards so bc I get to hear him practice his Spanish :-)

Hope you're having a great weekend!

xoxo,

Arianna

February 28, 2010 at 1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home