Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Duck tape goes GLAM

For years my husband had been hiding a dirty little secret from me and he didn’t even know it.

 



-Was it a secret lovechild? No too racy for him.

 



-Did he break one of my favorite pair of earrings and never fess up? Again no. He knows better than to mess with my things. (Love ya darling)

 




The little secret was that in our shop he was hiding a gem:



metallictape

 



Metallic tape

It must be used for some sort of  home improvement project that I’m sure he explained and I just ignored, because I was too excited by all of the sparkles.

 



I knew there must be some sort of great way to incorporate it into a DIY home project. Picture moulding trim came to mind right away. A great idea for those that live in a rental and can’t add holes to their walls.

 



I’m still waiting for a client/project to use this little tip on (email me if you want my help!), but luckily for me the kind folks at IN STYLE tested it out for me!

 



metallictapeinstyle



How chic and cheap! I think my next set of roommate clients are going to get this look!

 



I even found a skinnier version of the tape here:



thinnermetallictape



Yes, I know the above tape isn’t technically considered duck tape, but if you want the cloth look of duck tape they actually have a metallic version of that as well.



clothmetallicducktape



Would you ever try this out? Or have you already? Send me pictures if you have!

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger bazaarofserendipity said...

soo funny i was just thinking about this the other day! I love this pic from Instyle. That shell on the lucite is to die for! I wonder if the tape really works on the wall.. cant wait to find out

www.bazaarofserendipity.blogspot.com

March 24, 2010 at 7:04 PM  
Blogger lilac and rose said...

i recently ran into this fabulous tape too except the one i found, at a friend's workshop, was bright fuchsia. He was taken back by my excitement. Funny how men can see the same thing we do and see something totally different ;)

March 24, 2010 at 7:12 PM  
Blogger Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

oh I would have never thought about it, to be honest I have never seen this kind of duck tape, love it though!

March 24, 2010 at 7:38 PM  
Blogger Ashlee Brooke said...

Love the idea of a cheap but chic way to spruce up a space! GOOD FIND! ;) Ash

March 24, 2010 at 7:48 PM  
Anonymous Kate said...

It's not "duck tape", but it is foil tape that is used for ducts. I knew I had seen it before, but I couldn't remember and just spent the last few minutes looking that up. (Otherwise it would bug me all night, just how my brain works). Incidentally, I also found pretty colors in my search. :)

I dig the way it looks in the in style pic, but I'm thinking maybe it wouldn't work so well on my horrible textured walls. Hmm, will have to experiment.

March 24, 2010 at 7:56 PM  
Blogger Marti said...

Oh my gosh...THANK YOU! A couple of weeks ago I was thinking of this and couldn't remember where (in my millions of magazines) I had seen it. In Style!

March 24, 2010 at 8:10 PM  
Blogger Sarah La Rose said...

Such a cool idea!! I'm not sure i'm brave enough to try it myself. It might be cool on a chalkboard wall...

Great post!

March 24, 2010 at 8:52 PM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

That is really neat!

March 24, 2010 at 9:32 PM  
Blogger Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Great find! I haven't used metallic tape yet in any design. You will have to keep us posted if you do.

xo,
cristin

March 24, 2010 at 9:58 PM  
Blogger alison giese Interiors said...

How cool is THAT?!

March 24, 2010 at 10:48 PM  
Blogger Dallas Landrum-Martin said...

Would I try it? As Juno would say - "Hells yeah!"

March 24, 2010 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger Dina's Days said...

This is really cool, I would love to try it on my walls. And I thought hot pink duct tape was cool!

March 24, 2010 at 11:30 PM  
Blogger Emily A. Clark said...

Great, great idea! I'm not a renter but it would certainly be good for my indecisiveness.

March 24, 2010 at 11:36 PM  
Blogger Raylan said...

Metallic Tape Molding? Totally genius!

March 25, 2010 at 12:10 AM  
Anonymous sketch42 said...

Oh my lordy lord is that fn cool!!!!

LOVE!!!

Just thinking of where I could possible put it!

March 25, 2010 at 1:39 AM  
Blogger Fargerike Dagny said...

I think I'm going to have to test that out in the master bedroom! Great idea!!!

March 25, 2010 at 4:58 AM  
Blogger Kristen Andrews said...

yes I would try it, very cool!

March 25, 2010 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i love this idea! the instyle example looks great. just added you to my "on the daily" blog reads :)

March 25, 2010 at 10:48 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

In my old NYC studio apt. I used metallic tape to cover up the brown plastic frame of a full length mirror that was already on the wall in the bathroom, in order to match the chrome stuff that was elsewhere in the bathroom, it was a quick and cheap fix!

April 18, 2010 at 10:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home