Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Donald Baechler Print at your fingertips

You may not realize it, but at some point you’ve probably been lusting after a piece of art from this man:

 



donaldbaechlerthe moment blog

 



His name is Donald Baechler and he is best known for his bold and graphic work that is on display at the WhitneyMOMA, Guggenheim and of course how can we forget…. Rashida Jones apt in NYC.

 



Now I know Rashida Jones apt doesn’t really go with the grouping of museums I mentioned above, but the piece of art featured in her studio apt was what got Donald on my mind.

 



rashidajonesstudio 



While his work at times get mistaken for Hugo Guinness's linoleum cut prints his work is an actual painting done with a screen-printing technique.

 



His work also got great attention when it made the cover of Elle Decor in the home of Aerin Lauder.

 



elledecoraerinlauder



We also saw a peek of it in Monique Lhuillier’s home.



elle decor monique Lhui



Over the weekend I was cleaning up my magazine stacks. I had three giant stacks next to my nightstand and while I tried to pretend that they looked chic and inventive I knew it just looked messy.

 



Cleaning up was good, because it led me to find this image:



diyideas



Doesn’t the middle print remind you of Rashida’s print?

 



It did to me and since this image actually came from DIY Ideas a special publication by Better Homes & Gardens instead of Elle Decor you know you can afford it.

 



All that is needed is your home office printer! Click here for the pdf version!

 



diyflowersilo



I’m all set to print out my own copy and add it to one of my gallery walls.

 



Now I know it’s not the real deal. If you want the real deal it’s available here, but for a little bit of printer ink, a piece of paper and an inexpensive frame you can have the look for pennies.

 



Image 1 via NY TIMES, Image 2 via Domino, Images 3-4 via Elle Decor, Images 5-6 via DIY IDEAS

 



* I’m not the teeniest percent Irish, but I just wanted to wish you all a Happy St. Patty’s day! I’m cheesy and wearing green in honor of the day!

Labels: , ,

23 Comments:

Blogger Brittany said...

thanks so much for this! I think I might actually take it to a printer so I can print a larger size! it will probably still cost me less than $20 with an ikea frame!

March 17, 2010 at 11:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What fabulous art.. and great images. I'll check out the printable one, what fun! Your blog is such a pleasure to read! Happy St.Patricks day - xo

March 17, 2010 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Lindsay said...

Wow! I've totally been mistaking his art for Hugo Guinness! Thank you so much for highlighting his work! xx

March 17, 2010 at 12:08 PM  
Blogger lilac and rose said...

Love this print! will be adding to my collection of prints! Thanks!

March 17, 2010 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger Milltini said...

what a wonderful idea! i am trying to make a gallery wall right now, and i think this is exactly what i need to round out the collection of prints i have gathered. thanks!

March 17, 2010 at 12:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks so much for sharing! This will look perfect in my home office. I can't wait to go home to print and frame!

March 17, 2010 at 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

Ok this is kind of creepy. Did you read my mind? I was just at http://www.deliciouslyorganized.blogspot.com/ this morning and they have a great silhouette project they did. In my comment I said I've loved silhouettes since I saw the studio in Domino with a flower pot one!

Can't wait to print this out!

March 17, 2010 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Averill said...

I've seen Donald's work all over but never knew who should get the credit for it. I'm hoping over to his site now to daydream about owning one for myself...

March 17, 2010 at 1:53 PM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

What a great photo, love that you can just print it out!

March 17, 2010 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

So clever! I love this and will definitely be using this for our home. I think you just gave me the final piece of one of my puzzles. Thanks so much!!

March 17, 2010 at 2:13 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

Rashida Jones apartments is one of my favs, among many!

March 17, 2010 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger Kelly Green said...

great post and gorgeous print idea! thank you!KG

March 17, 2010 at 3:52 PM  
Blogger bentley said...

Came across your blog recently, I think through twitter, and I love it! And I love many of those apartments, esp. Rashida Jones. Bravo!

March 17, 2010 at 5:10 PM  
Blogger Jimena said...

Don`t remember if I have leaved a comment before...If not, Im sorry! Love your blog! and what a fun post!
I just started my blog yesterday, and now I have no idea what to do with it. Ha!
Thanks for the ispiration!

March 17, 2010 at 6:33 PM  
Blogger Brittany said...

Just got home and asked my boyfriend to make a large print of this for me - turns out he's friends with this artist. I had no idea - I only knew him as Donald! The boy refuses to do it for me since he doesn't want me to "steal from his friend" haha off to the print shop I go!

March 17, 2010 at 7:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

au contraire, rashida jones' apartment is definitely on the same level as each of those museums... one of my favorite spaces of all time! great idea and happy st. patrick's day, camilla!

March 17, 2010 at 7:43 PM  
Blogger Marija said...

Great eye! What pretty pieces. How fun is a flowerpot silhouette?! Marija

March 17, 2010 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger A Refocused Life said...

Thanks for identifying and sharing the work of this talented artist - as well as the ideas.

March 17, 2010 at 10:20 PM  
Blogger Erica Cook said...

I'm sure you've heard it a million times... but always such good stuff! Great blog. :)

March 17, 2010 at 10:25 PM  
Blogger Karen said...

I have the image from Rashida Jones home in my inspiration file. Thank you so much for posting this. I've always wanted to try recreating the look myself. You are the best!

March 18, 2010 at 9:56 AM  
Blogger carlee {deliciously organized} said...

I just made a few silhouettes...I should have thought of this first! You always come up with the good stuff. love it.

March 18, 2010 at 11:57 AM  
Blogger sasha said...

thanks for the comment!
if it were for that, i wouldn't have come across your lovely blog! i'm going to become a follower now.

i love it.

March 18, 2010 at 12:30 PM  
Blogger kanishk said...

What fabulous art.. and great images.
free internet jobs

March 23, 2010 at 5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home