Monday, July 12, 2010

Weekend Recap: Thrifting

Hello All,

 



Hope you all had an amazing weekend! Mine was full of adding many projects to my growing to-do list!

 



NY has been having quite the heat wave these last couple of days. Last week it was unbearable and on Friday I got to help move my sister into her new apt.

 



She is now living in the financial district in a pretty fancy building with a door man who’s services including planning your travel arrangements. Nice, right?

 



While the over all space is much nicer than her last place we still have to deal with small living quarters.

 



This is her living/dining room:



ximena'slivingroom

It’s 6 ft wide by 14 ft long. The wall on the left side of the pictures was actually put up to make an additional bedroom, which you guessed it is also 6 ft wide by 14 ft long and her bedroom.



ximena'sbedroom



While the space is small it is larger than her last place and full of natural light, which is huge plus! You know what they say about location, location, location! Well I’m happy to report that right next door there is one of my favorite places:



 



Saturday morning we hit the ground running.

 



We picked up a piece for a client at a local thrift shop.

 

It quickly went from this:



beforeclientpiece



To this:



clientpiece

It still needs a couple more coats of white, but I can already see the dream piece coming to life.

 



I also picked something up for another client (aka my sissy) . An amazing set of faux bamboo furniture from Thomasville circa 1966! I’m so in love.



ximenabamboodesk

I also spent the weekend arguing with said sissy that  you don’t need to have a set and not everything needs to be matchy/matchy. I only wanted to use the desk/chair and she wanted a set of furniture from a big box store. You’ll have to wait and see who won. :)

 



We also hit a garage sale of a client who very kindly gifted me with these chairs:



ximenadiningroom

I then took out a small accent table that was a thrift store find from a couple of weeks back and decided it was the perfect dining set up for my sister. Can’t wait till you see it all finished!

 



We also picked up this vintage fan at the garage sale:



jon's fan

Jon has big plans for it! I’ll be sure to snap pictures along the way and share.

 



We then headed home and Jon went right out pack to survey his land. He does this multiple times a day. I think it’s pretty funny. He always heads straight to our planter boxes and this time he returned with a surprise!



jongarden Our first zucchini of the year!

 



We also then headed out to another garage sale across the street and came home with this darling chair for $10!



garagesalechair



Yes, it needs a little love and attention, but it was the perfect size and we both immediately thought it would work great in the nursery we don’t have for the baby that has yet to happen.  Perhaps if we build it, the baby will come. :)



 

It was a jammed back day. It felt pretty much felt like both weekend days jammed into one!

 



On sad note I just found out  that this man:



john-krasinski

Tied the knot and it wasn’t with me! Oh so sad. I guess I’ll just have to be happy with only having one Jon in my life. :)

 



What were you guys up to?

Labels:

30 Comments:

Blogger Hamptontoes said...

Oh darling, I'm in love with the bamboo set... and dreaming about it in my guest room in the Hamptons! I'm currently re-doing the room and pulling it together. I spent the weekend on the beach with the children and husband...loving every second!

July 12, 2010 at 8:35 AM  
Blogger Janell @ House of Fifty said...

It will be fun to see what you do with such a small space! Good luck and adore those bamboo chairs! Janell

July 12, 2010 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger LindsB said...

What great finds! I'm crossing my fingers that you won the arguement with your sister, I'm all for non-matchy-matchy. Team Camilla all the way :)

July 12, 2010 at 9:02 AM  
Blogger preppy little dress AKA "PLD" said...

Nice finds, love the paint job on the dresser and chair! Can't wait to see the finished product!!

July 12, 2010 at 9:05 AM  
Blogger Hannah said...

What wonderful finds! That piece of furniture looks amazing painted white--good work! Can't wait to see waht you do with the apartment.

July 12, 2010 at 9:06 AM  
Blogger Erika Ward said...

I love a successful treasure hunt! You found some really awesome pieces.

If you get into a jam with your sister's place, House Beautiful's section on small spaces should get your creative juices flowing. Good luck, hun!

July 12, 2010 at 9:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so jealous of the thrifty finds you come across in NY. I would love to find similar pieces here in Louisiana...sigh. I can't wait to see what you do with your sister's new space!!!

July 12, 2010 at 9:21 AM  
Blogger Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

You are a very busy gal! Love, love the bamboo chairs! Can't wait to see what you do with your sister's place!

July 12, 2010 at 9:32 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Sounds like a great full weekend! I'm jealous of all your thrift finds!

July 12, 2010 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Pine Tree Home said...

The bamboo set is divine. Can't wait to see it in the room.

July 12, 2010 at 9:34 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Great find! I am always on the lookout for a great credenza. And what a great garage sale...wonderful chairs!!

Best,
Michelle

July 12, 2010 at 9:58 AM  
Blogger Beth McC. said...

LOVE this post! Please keep updating about the sisters apartment!! I love NYC and I WILL live there one day so I love looking at real estate there!!

Love that $10 chair!!

July 12, 2010 at 10:08 AM  
Blogger Dayka Robinson said...

go girl! you found so many great items--i love it!

July 12, 2010 at 10:23 AM  
Blogger style chronicle said...

Je adore the bamboo! Great finds!!

July 12, 2010 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger kenda said...

nice finds! this post has kind of got me in the mood to go thrifting.

July 12, 2010 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Great finds!

July 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I so excited to see you in action with a small space, we have a small house so any tips along they way with helping your sis are always welcomed!! :)

July 12, 2010 at 12:37 PM  
Anonymous Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Sounds like an excellent weekend! I wish mine was as full with thrifting, you got some great finds! (I've been wanting a vintage fan like that, so jealous). Can't wait to see how your sister's space turns out!

July 12, 2010 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger Design Esquire said...

I can't wait to see what you do with your sister's apartment! It's going to be amazing.

July 12, 2010 at 1:43 PM  
Blogger jisabird said...

What a great weekend for you guys.

But seriously, that's not a room, that's a hallway. Not that I should talk. We have a similar situation except we're talking about a duplex in LA. Our solution? We turned it into a closet. Hey, we're clothes whores, what can you do;)

Can't wait to see pics of what you guys do with such a small space.

July 12, 2010 at 2:08 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

What great finds!

July 12, 2010 at 2:34 PM  
Blogger Lissa Pierce said...

Whew. What a weekend!
Can't wait to see the final space...especially being so small.
I also am having the same argument with my sister about matchy matchy pieces for her apartment!

July 12, 2010 at 2:49 PM  
Blogger Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy said...

Nothing nearly as exciting as that! You found some amazing things!! I love the bamboo set!! Looking forward to seeing both clients' places!

July 12, 2010 at 3:10 PM  
Blogger Flavia @ Estilo Home said...

These are such amazing finds! LOVE the bamboo desk!

July 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That bamboo set is AMAZING! What a lucky sister you have. Can't wait to see the finished product!

July 12, 2010 at 6:18 PM  
Anonymous Kym @ styleDISH said...

You find THE best stuff!!! Clearly I am not looking at the same sources!! I can't wait to see the faux bamboo!!! Kym

July 12, 2010 at 10:54 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Oh but Emily is so beautiful.

July 13, 2010 at 2:06 AM  
Blogger Loretta Fontaine (EcoHappy Blog) said...

My weekend was not nearly as busy as yours! Love your finds! I had family visit from the downstate, so we entertained a bit. All I did was cook - made the Curtis Stone Blueberry Pancakes from House Beautiful mag. Yum! Can't wait to see your sister's space done. Hope she nixes the matchy-matchy!

July 13, 2010 at 9:38 AM  
Blogger CLAIRE WATKINS, ASID ALLIED said...

Love those klismos chairs! Didn't you tell your sister that you were a big deal design blogger and that of course pairs are not necessary! Sounds like a great weekend.

What a doll Jon is, building you a shed!

July 13, 2010 at 10:46 AM  
Blogger Hello Lover... said...

I hope you won that argument - sets are so boring and that bamboo desk is so great!

July 15, 2010 at 5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home