Monday, April 12, 2010

Weekend Recap: Spring has Sprung

I  am wiped. This weekend was full of gardening. Now while gardening sounds so relaxing and enjoyable I have to say it was neither of those things this weekend.

 



Remember my planting project from a couple of weeks ago?



weekendrecap 004 



I made flowers and Jon stuck to veggies. Jon’s veggies were growing like crazy and needed to make their transition from those little pods to an actual garden.

 



We decided that it would be best to put them in planter boxes so we headed out to Home Depot to pick up supplies. Well as we were figuring out our estimate for 4 boxes we saw the dollars quickly adding up. I was convinced there had to be a cheaper way to make them.

 



Voila cheaper option:



planterboxweekend 001  



Originally I had thought of using wood pallets so we headed a couple of towns over to an industrial area where there are pallets galore.

 



As we were driving around (In the cover of night! We didn’t want to get caught going through a companies trash pile.) we found something better than pallets. We found boxes that were used to transport ceramic tiles. 

 



Don’t worry we didn’t just grab them and run. The next day we went back and called the office and asked if it would be possible to grab a couple. They said yes! So free planter boxes.

 



So in order to get them in the ground, we needed to remove grass and roots and dig, dig, dig to set them into place.

 

 

 



planterboxweekend 004 



Here they are all lined up in our side yard. We are going to be putting up a small little fence so the pups don’t get into them. They were already super intrigued by the planting soil. I found Moo in one of them yesterday! Plus we are going to put some pea gravel over the dirt that you see around the boxes.

 



planterboxweekend 009



Here is a close up of our cucumbers in their new home.

 



planterboxweekend 005

I think they look pretty good for only $5 worth of Oops paint and 13 bags of planting soil from….Big lots! (The had 2 cubic feet bags of Scotts for $6!)

 



This little project took many, many hours between both Saturday & Sunday, but don’t worry I took some time out to devour the new LONNY!

 



Michelle was one of my first blog friends so she always holds a special place in my heart. I adore and support everything that she does. This issue has to be my favorite thus far. Loved seeing her new apt!

 



Here is a sneak peek of her dining room:

 



MICHELLE DININGROOM



Lastly I finally decided that even though I was nervous and totally feeling like a chicken I was going to throw my name in the hat for the new Spring co host.



springcohost

 



So after a long day in the sun and with dirt over most of my body I quickly brushed my hair, threw on a new shirt and did my little video introduction.

 



I went through 10 takes! One time I thought I had the perfect one, got up to view it and realized I had hit pause instead of record.

 



Then seeing that we had never used the camcorder before we had a horrible time downloading the video onto youtube, but finally at 11:30pm (30 mins before the cut off) I was able to apply.

 



If you want to check it out you can do so here! I was really nervous to do it, but I think it turned out okay.  Let me know what you guys think!

 



I hope you all had a much more relaxing weekend than I !

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger nest of posies said...

i can't believe you found & got those boxes for free! love the paint color.
good luck to you with the auditions ~ potting soil accessorized & all...;)

have a beautiful week.
kellie

April 12, 2010 at 11:53 AM  
Blogger The Brick Cottage said...

Is it wrong to be insanely jealous over your planter's boxes? Because I am so jealous! I love the color. We've been working on relocating our garden bed to a better spot in the yard and how I wish I had time to have the hubs build some small boxes like that.

Good luck with the audition!

April 12, 2010 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger Silvia C said...

What an amazing idea! My hubs is planning to make some boxes for the garden. I think we'll drive around and see what we find! Excellent find! Your vegetable garden looks fantastic (with the boxes pointed in my favorite color!)

April 12, 2010 at 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed with your weekend productivity and those planter boxes. Good luck on the audition!

April 12, 2010 at 12:16 PM  
Blogger Flavia @ Estilo Home said...

Loved seeing your video & hearing about your message on becoming a doer. Good luck!!

April 12, 2010 at 12:56 PM  
Blogger Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

Camilla I wanted to thank you so much for this video, absolutely inspiring!
I have been changing jobs and not knowing what I really want to do since I graduated. You inspire me to keep looking and to be more of a doer than not! thanks!!

April 12, 2010 at 1:18 PM  
Blogger stylewannabee said...

You two rock. If you are ever in Phoenix stop by and help me out. OK?

April 12, 2010 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Brenna said...

Your planter idea is fantastic! We've been lamenting over how costly it will be for us to build the planter boxes we want, but I think your idea is much more appealing!!! Thanks and great job!

April 12, 2010 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger Chic Coles said...

I love seeing what you did in your backyard! Those planters are so much fun and a great DIY. I garden with my mom in the summer and it is so much work...something you wouldn't think would be that tiring and time consuming actually is!

April 12, 2010 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Erika Ward said...

what great colors for your garden! maybe now you can relax while watching your flowers grow! best wishes on the audition!

April 12, 2010 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger HAMPTON HOSTESS said...

I love the blue paint you used--do you know off hand the color? So bright and cheery-perfect for those spring flowers. If you are looking for some inspiration, see my post on the Macys flower show on Hampton Hostess today! All the best, Barbara

April 12, 2010 at 7:07 PM  
Anonymous Erin @ Cultivating Home said...

Did you get the pallets at a chain/franchise store or is it independent? I would love to use some for planters in my own yard if I only knew where to get them! You did a wonderful job!

April 13, 2010 at 8:05 AM  
Blogger Pemberley said...

Love the raised beds. We have a ton of lumber we just got to do the same. I think I'm going with black for the beds. Will post when we get that project done, hopefully this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration!

April 13, 2010 at 9:22 AM  
Blogger kayce hughes said...

LOVE the planters. Brilliant and beautiful.

April 13, 2010 at 10:51 PM  
Blogger KatyO! said...

such a great idea for the planters!!! I'll have to remember that for next summer when we get our garden going (taking a break this summer!!)

April 14, 2010 at 8:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home