Friday, September 17, 2010

IN HER SHOES: Maggie Rose

Today's IN HER SHOES featured lady is leading a double life. She works a part job Mon-Thursday and then does interior decorating and blogging on her free time.

I met Maggie from Maggie Rose a while back. I believe it was due to some sort of blogger gift exchange. I remember have loads of fun picking out little gifts to mail out to Maggie and brighten up her day.

I'm exhausted from reading up about her day and will never complain again about waking up at 7:45am. I get to sleep in compared to what she does.

Enjoy a peek into her life!


Hey HHFITD readers! Maggie from Maggie Rose here to take you with me on a typical day-in-the-life!

I work a part-time day job Monday through Thursday, so these days I wake up about 5:30 after hitting snooze twice. Quick wash of the hair, stumble around to find an outfit, make a piece of toast. My boyfriend Ryan wakes up about 6:00 and at 6:15 we rush out the door, hop in the car, and he drives me to the train.

The train ride takes about 40 minutes, so I'm on it for almost an hour since I like to get there early enough to know I didn't miss it! Here's me trying to look nonchalant on the train, but just looking sleepy:



On the train I check my email on my phone, approve any comments that the early risers have posted, then I pull out my reading. Today I read part of The Martha Rules - secrets of business success by Martha Stewart, whom I adore.

I hop on Twitter quickly before we pull into my stop and gripe about being up early. I'm definitely not a morning person!

Once I get to Puyallup, I get off the train and wait about five minutes before my coworker picks me up on her way to work. Because our office is pretty rural, it would take me another hour to get there from the train station if I took the bus! Driving it only takes 15 minutes.
We arrive at work at 8 a.m. Here's a peek at my cubicle!



I know, I'm kind of a mess! I work for the county library system in the county south of Seattle. I work for our development department, writing direct mail letters and newsletter articles and raising money.

During breaks I pop into the blog to approve comments, find out what's happening on twitter, do some quick blog reading, and follow up on emails with edecorating clients. In the afternoon I email briefly with Ryan. He has guy's night tonight so I'm on my own for dinner - darn, cause he's usually the cook!

4:30 I get to head home! We make it to the train station about 4:45, but my train doesn't come until 5:12, so I do a lot of standing around here:



5:15 On the train at last. I pull out my notebook and review my to-do list for the evening. We're doing a photoshoot on Friday for the ebook I'm working on, and I still have a ton of stuff to prepare. I make a shopping list for the last props that I need and figure out a rough order each shot will be done in.

About halfway home I hop onto my iPhone (couldn't live without it!) and answer an email to a client about a rug she's looking at. I email to confirm the photo time with our photographer for Friday (Ryan's cousin!). Check twitter again and have about 200 posts to catch up on. Oy.
About 6:00 we arrive in downtown Seattle and I catch a bus to get home - try to take a picture but end up jogging to catch my bus! Whew!

I head home from the busstop and decide to swing by the grocery store and pick up a cupcake. They sell singles from the yummy Cupcake Royale, a Seattle staple. I get vanilla with chocolate frosting, then pick up the Martha Stewart Living just for fun.

6:50 Home at last! I take a quick picture of my shoes (patent leather black flats) before slipping them off - we are a no-shoes house since we have painted floors that get dirty (you can see the scuffs here in the entryway)!


I heat up leftovers (told you Ryan was the cook) and settle in at the computer with my cupcake and a glass of white wine. Now is when the real work starts!



Tonight I have quite a few things I'm working on - I like to work on projects in quick bursts of energy, then move on for another burst, then circle back. I'm editing images of past edecorating packages, getting them ready for the website. I'm also refining my to-do list (I keep one online that needs updating) with all my notes from the train. I'm also scouting for furniture for my next edecorating guide when those get too dull, and reading the blogs I didn't get to at work today. I should work on setting up props for the photo shoot but I'm put it off for tomorrow so the cat doesn't mess it up (she's been into everything lately!)

Sometime around 9 I realize I haven't written a blog post for tomorrow yet! Whoops! I regret not taking photos of our new(ish) kitchen island last weekend. I've been meaning to forever. Oh well, save it for next week!

Finally the multi-tasking gets the better of me and about 10 I head towards bed with my new Martha Stewart. Ryan texts to say he's heading home and should be back in an hour - by the time he arrives, I'm fast asleep, preparing for my alarm to go off tomorrow at 5:10 again!


xo Maggie

_____________________________________

Thanks Maggie!

Do you have someone you are dying to see featured? Email me at cpavone0107@gmail or my new business email camila@effortless-style.com and let me know!


Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

That is a long day. I wish I had that kind of energy. Phew I need a nap just reading it. Hard work and determination will get you far in this world.

September 17, 2010 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger Flavia @ Estilo Home said...

This sounds much like my day! It's no fun, I can say. Maggie, I am proud of you for doing all that you do for your business and blog. I need to follow in your footsteps and stop blaming my schedule for not getting more accomplished on my own blog and business!

September 17, 2010 at 9:13 AM  
Blogger Karena said...

Camilla, thank you for featuring Maggie! What a doll and she accomplishes so much!!

I have a New Giveaway from the French Basketeer I think you will love!

Karena
Art by Karena

September 17, 2010 at 11:00 AM  
Blogger Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

Love this! Its always great to hear about the day to day lives of great bloggers!!

September 17, 2010 at 11:22 AM  
Blogger TSL said...

Soooo wonderful. I love reading about the lives of other people, and I love the idea of riding a train daily! Sweet and wonderful individual, hard working, talented.

September 17, 2010 at 11:48 AM  
Blogger Rhonda said...

I LOVE reading about other's days. So much fun to peek into how another lives!

September 17, 2010 at 11:59 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Busy girl, I can relate to a lot of her day - I'm at the train station every morning too at7:15 then walking 8 blocks to work etc....but loving every min more when I'm home working on the house and catching up on blogs :)

September 17, 2010 at 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is a most talented, darling and driven person. When does she get her reality show?

September 17, 2010 at 2:56 PM  
Anonymous Maggie Rose said...

Thanks again to Camila for having me! And THANK YOU readers - your sweet comments made my day! My commuting days are brutally long, but I'm so much happier in the evenings now that I am occupied with work that I love. It gives me something to look forward to :) And cheers to all of you who are also pulling the double-shift!

September 17, 2010 at 10:58 PM  
Anonymous Stephanie said...

Hi Maggie!

I just stumbled upon your blog today, and being a girl from Puyallup, I was thrilled to read that you are from my backyard! :) I am looking forward to following you on your adventures! :)

Stephanie

September 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home