Thursday, October 7, 2010

Vintage Vera

Before I worked in the design field I worked in the buying field. I used to be an assistant buyer at a home goods store then an art director at another home good store and then as a store manager at a small resale shop while I was trying to find myself.

My favorite had to be working at the resale shop. I wasn't sitting at a desk all day long, I loved my co-workers, I got to play around with vintage finds all day long and chat with customers. Win, win.

One of my favorite customers was simply known as the scarf lady. She would come in multiple times a week and make a bee line to the scarf section and buy them by the handful. From her I learned about Vera.

Vera Neumann was an artist and designers that believed everyone should be able to own a piece of art.

Her way of sharing her artwork was in clothing. My favorite pieces that incorporate her love of color and pattern are her scarfs.

Vintage Vera scarfs can always be found on ebay. These are currently up on ebay:





I picked some up during my time at the shop. I'll show you what I did with one tomorrow!

:)

Labels:

13 Comments:

Blogger coolkids said...

love those! I have a collection on vintage scarfs passed on by my grand mother and great aunt. One was givenchy! Those scarfs would look good framed.
fun2bkids.blogspot.com

October 7, 2010 at 3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think anyone can be in a bad mood while wearing a Vera scarf, do you? :)

October 7, 2010 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger Hamptontoes said...

I have a scarf that was my mother's and I remember seeing her wear it...I now have it in a gold frame in my office. It has become sentimental artwork to me!

October 7, 2010 at 3:46 PM  
Blogger Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said...

I have scarfs from my great grandma framed and displayed in my house not only are they beautiful I think about her every single day!

October 7, 2010 at 4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have some vintage pucci and hermes scarves I have picked up in vintage stores in Paris. prize possessions. I will save them for my kiddos...well, hopefully ill have a girl bc then theyll stay far away from my kiddos.

October 7, 2010 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger Kelly Green said...

Cant wait to see.........love the pink and green one!

October 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM  
Blogger kayce hughes said...

So fun! I think they just did a book about her work, I bet its a good one.

October 7, 2010 at 5:29 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Oooh, these are so lovely! I cannot wait to see what you have done with them.

October 7, 2010 at 5:44 PM  
Blogger Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

what fun! my mom used to wear those!

October 7, 2010 at 10:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love vintage scarfs! They make the prettiest pillows and look amazing framed!

Looking forward to seeing what you did!

October 8, 2010 at 11:58 AM  
Anonymous ashley said...

those are amazing! i can't wait to see how you are using them...

October 8, 2010 at 12:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How pretty. I have a Givenchy one I'm thinking about framing.

October 8, 2010 at 2:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a fabulous Vera scarf framed in my bedroom! The Lucky Fish on Etsy has a stellar assortment. Have a great weekend!

October 8, 2010 at 4:01 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home