Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Hob-(K)nobbing...

Since times are tough and lately it seems like things keep getting worse instead of better one of things that we are all trying to do is cut back.

Not exactly good news for people in the design world, but I'm hopeful that things will be changing soon.

Just because you don't have a huge budget doesn't mean you can't make a couple of little purchases to change the look and feel of a room. I know when I get the itch to re-decorate nothing will stop me not even lack of funds.

When we moved into our home many things needed to be done on a budget. Our kitchen was one of the main places were we tried to save costs. Everything needed to get knocked down and we pretty much had to start from scratch. All of the cabinets are from IKEA and instead of going with a basic knob I decide to glam up my kitchen a bit with a more interesting type of knob. Little did I know that there wasn't much to choose from. Home Depot had really blah choices and their prices were not all that. Anthropologie had amazing choices, but no way could I spend $12 a knob when I had 20 knobs to order. I started to think it was hopeless until one of my Internet searches turned me on to: D. LAWLESS HARDWARE.

They have lots to choose from and their prices are just right. I immediately feel in love, because they had milk glass and jade milk glass knobs. Milk glass is one of my weaknesses so I knew that these were knobs I was going to order. Now deciding between the white and green took a long time and I changed my mind about 3 times and they were nothing, but sweet about it.

In the end I went with the Jade Milk Glass:


I ordered knobs and pulls and used them throughout my kitchen.



We also wanted some space in the kitchen for eating. While we didn't have enough room for a table and chairs we were able to purchase a great kitchen island with two stools. Again staying on a tight budget we went to one of my favorite home resources, JC PENNEY.

I also glammed it up with some new knobs, but this time I went a bit smaller on the size:


* Excuse the white fluff. That's Jovi (yup after Bon Jovi) my mom's pup who was over for a visit and did not want to get out of the shot*

Another room in the house that pretty much stayed the same was our guest bathroom. There was nothing wrong with it when we moved in, but I wanted it to look more like me so up went the bead board from top to bottom, Amy Butler fabric was also bought in for the curtains and of course I had to change the knobs as well.

D. Lawless also has a great selection of Antique glass knobs that are translucent and come in many different shades.

I picked my favorite, Emerald green knobs:



Here are they are in the bathroom:





The purchase of all those knobs and pulls in no way broke the bank and they really helped me add a special touch to the rooms in a place where details like a knob are normally lost in the shuffle.

So if you are in search for an inexpensive fix for a boring kitchen or bath then I would go with some new hardware that will have you hob-nobbing with the best of them.

14 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I love your use of knobs, C! Great choices!

February 18, 2009 at 6:37 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

I love those knobs, they add so much to your kitchen, what a great choice.

Thanks for the great source!

February 18, 2009 at 7:48 PM  
Blogger Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

The knobs are great... and loved getting to look inside your home!

February 18, 2009 at 10:14 PM  
Blogger Kwana said...

Love the Jade Knobs. So pretty and for things like this you've won and award on my blog! Check it out.
http://kwanawrites.blogspot.com/2009/02/fabulous-me.html

February 19, 2009 at 12:49 AM  
Blogger alison giese Interiors said...

I completely understand your affection for jadeite glass knobs! Needing some updated hardware for a cabinet project, so heading the D.Lawless way - thanks for the tip!

February 19, 2009 at 7:15 AM  
Blogger dillogdall said...

I was probably destined to find your blog - as I am also looking at original knobs at the moment. Great knobs you have chosen - and also great site :)

February 19, 2009 at 7:43 AM  
Blogger Haven and Home said...

Love Love Love the knobs! Your house looks great. I can't wait too see it all together.

How is your week going?

February 19, 2009 at 9:04 AM  
Blogger amber {daisy chain} said...

love all the knobs and the amy butler fabric. I think it's so great that you're posting about saving $$ while remodeling, thanks for sharing your sources!

February 19, 2009 at 9:33 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

Beautiful!!! I can't wait to see full pics of your kitchen- it looks gorgeous!!

thanks for the great knob source- will totally use it!!
xoxo

February 19, 2009 at 9:57 AM  
Blogger Fiona said...

Hey Cam!

Danay told me about your blog and its awesome! I'm glad you're getting time to follow your passion. I remember when you redid your parents room God knows how many years ago... look how far you've come!

Anyway, maybe when I move out of my parents' house into a place of my own I will come seeking some of your expertise.

Hopefully I'll see you soon!

February 19, 2009 at 10:59 AM  
Blogger please sir said...

I agree - little details can really make and impact and make you feel better. I think it's going to get designers to look more close at details and better quality products for consumers to buy during this time.

February 19, 2009 at 2:03 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

oh. my goodness. those are gorgeous! thanks for the great resource.

I love myknobs.com, too. they're mostly metal, but they have lots of choices at lots of price points.

February 19, 2009 at 3:33 PM  
Blogger Freckles Chick said...

*giggling immaturely* Nice knobs!

Seriously though they're gorgeous. Love the jadeite especially! Have we seen your kitchen in full? B/c I'm dying to!

February 19, 2009 at 6:26 PM  
Blogger No.35style said...

i need some new kitchen knobs..will need to check out that site...cute fabric!!

February 24, 2009 at 7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home