Thursday, April 30, 2009

I love a charade

Recently me and my sister were discussing movies and wishing that there was a site that told you the state a movie took place in and documented all the stores, restaurants, parks etc that were filmed. A site where you can log on, get all the info and go try the place out yourself.



Sometimes it’s easy to figure out what state a movie is taking place in. You see landmarks and realize oh they are in NY. But since I’m only from NY I sometimes don’t always pick on the clues when a movie’s location is in another state and it takes me a while to realize that the movie is actually in CT.



Where we enter even more of a problem is when movies are suppose to be in a certain state, but they are actually filming it in a totally different location like Canada and you end up trying to jot down store names that don’t exist where you think they do.



Ah the magic of movies!



I swear my long rambling has a point. I hope. In NY we have our fair amount of TV shows and movies being filmed all year round. One of the locations that is very popular to shoot in is the Hamptons, but here is where charade part comes in. The majority of the time it’s not really the Hamptons that you are seeing, but Old Westbury Gardens, which is a mere 5 miles away from me.



Enter the house in Cruel Intentions, Sex and the City Hamptons wedding between Bobby Fine and Bitsy Von Muffling and mostly recently Nate’s family estate on Gossip Girl:



Entrance Gate:



entrance gate


The Mansion:

houseatoldwestbury



This house is the main estate in Old Westbury Gardens. It is called Westbury House and was completed in 1906 by English designer, George A. Crawley. The Charles II style mansion is nestled amid 200 acres of formal gardens, landscaping grounds, woodlands, ponds and a lake.



Here is a virtual tour of the gardens. Walkway to the Rose Garden:



rosegardenoldwestburygarden



Walled Garden Pond:



walled garden



East Lake:



east lake



Click here to check out all the TV shows and movies that were filmed at Old Westbury Gardens.



So long story even longer does your town have any famous locals that are constantly being used for films, tv shows?



Spill the details and lets dish!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I live in Albany NY, and down town we have I-787, which is a crazy series of ramps and flyovers. Right now they are filming car chase scenes on 787 for the new Angelina Jolie movie "Salt," and she was in town this past weekend filming. Also this past summer in Columbia County and Rennselaer County they did a lot of filming for the new Ang Lee movie about woodstock, but I'm not sure exactly where the location was.

April 30, 2009 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Too funny. Angie was here filming Salt as well. I keep hearing stoppings of them all over a nearby town.

April 30, 2009 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

Wow, what a beautiful estate! Its so funny how movies work- I mean they always make you think you are somewhere but really you are not- did that make sense?

Anyways- recently Boston has been home to many movie shoots. They filmed a few scenes from The Women here, they were actually suppose to be in NY, but filmed on a street in Boston that looks like the village.

On the same street I saw these movies being filmed: Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (BTW, I cant WAIT to see this), My Best Friends Girl, and Bride Wars.

I have to say that Matthew McConaughey is even hotter in person...if that is even possible.

Fun Post! xoxox

April 30, 2009 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

San Diego, Ca. Home to Kansas City BBQ, otherwise known as the bar in Top Gun!

(there's several other famous places that were filmed here, but that's most well known to my generations!)

April 30, 2009 at 1:47 PM  
Blogger Carrie Nicole said...

OMG, I need to live there. Holy fantasticness.

April 30, 2009 at 4:32 PM  
Blogger alison giese Interiors said...

When I lived in Austin, it was just beginning to have that "Third Coast" status for filmmaking - before SXSW became HUGE! Anyway, one of my summers there they filmed The Newton Boys, and of course, that's where Dazed and Confused was filmed - lots of Austin good stuff in that flick!

April 30, 2009 at 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home