Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Everything goes…

Last Thursday two little sentences got my attention while reading the NY TIMES.



The two sentences were part of an answer for the question, “Where you can sell your old furniture?”. Of course they spoke of Craigslist and Kijiji, but towards the end they mentioned a shop in Staten Island that I had never heard of called Everything goes stores. They have 4 separate locations one for furniture, another for antiques, another for books and also clothing shop.



Now I don’t know about you, but truthfully all I know about Staten Island I learned from MTV’s I'm a Staten Island girl. Maybe not the best research, but when one of the girls described her ideal man as wanting him to be orange with huge muscles I didn’t really think me and S.I. could be BFF’s.



Regardless I will do anything to provide my readers with good information and resources so on Saturday off I went with Jon on my S.I. adventure.



We arrived Saturday afternoon and were welcomed by shop owner Ellen. She was a complete sweetheart and very excited that we came all the way from Long Island after reading the piece in the NY TIMES. She got us a sales associate to walk us around and explain how they work and give us a tour of the 10,000 sq ft location and then we just walked half a block away and got to see the Antique shop as well.



Here are some of the things that caught my eye:


etgchair greenchairetg

desketg breakfrontetg



The prices were reasonable and there is also a  10% off cash and carry discount. Don’t even bother haggling ( I tried) they keep their prices low so they don’t have to.



I ended up walking out with a desk for a client. We are re-doing her office into a writing space for her and with her love for Victorian pieces a touch of modern this desk fit the bill.



christinedesk

It was a little more damaged then it showed in the picture so I was able to get the price adjusted and it came home with for $126.



All in all my trip to S.I. was a good one. It is so much more than what MTV portrays. Shocking I know. We were in downtown S.I. and it gave off a great small town vibe full of artistic people.



The ride home was another story. It took about 2 hours, but it was worth it.

Labels: ,

21 Comments:

Blogger LindsB said...

Seriously your hubby rocks- I mean that is a great store and all- BUT, he drove you there, prob. was miserable as you were shopping and then sat in traffic for 2 hours on the way home- what a sweet guy :)

PS- love the desk, post pics when you finish the room

June 10, 2009 at 3:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Are you planning to paint the desk? I have no doubt that you'll do a tremendous job!

Kylie
xxx

June 10, 2009 at 3:33 PM  
Blogger High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Oh Linds I know. The poor guy in the morning I also dragged him to Brooklyn Flea a Flea Market in BK. He so did not have fun.

Kylie,
Not sure If I'm going to paint it. Orignally from the web picture I thought yes, but then seeing it person it looks pretty good except for the top. I'm probably going to use some wallpaper on top!

June 10, 2009 at 3:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh that green chair is out of this world fabulous!

June 10, 2009 at 4:25 PM  
Blogger Porchlight Interiors said...

Lovely desk! It's worth the drive when you come home with something special! Tracey xx

June 10, 2009 at 5:23 PM  
Blogger Under a Green Roof said...

that is hysterical that you referenced the MTV true life "I'm a Staten Island Girl" because (1) that is all I know of SI (2) I love that show and (3) I swear we are kindred spirits! Great find! Can't wait to see what you do with the desk!

June 10, 2009 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

I think that desk is beautiful, I would love to see it once you put the wallpaper down.

June 10, 2009 at 7:53 PM  
Blogger Yansy said...

I completely understand your previous views about Staten Island. I felt the same way until I went and it changed my perspective. Great find, the desk looks great. Can't wait to see what you do with it.

June 10, 2009 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, that totally looks like a fun place to shop and browse. Love the desk!

June 10, 2009 at 8:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great place! So glad you visited. Looks like you left with a great treasure.

June 10, 2009 at 9:10 PM  
Blogger Haven and Home said...

Oh don't you love finding new stores? I had to laugh about your S.I. feelings!

June 10, 2009 at 10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds like a great scavenger hunt! I love the Victorian desk - great lines. Never been to SI but you never know when I'll get up that way :) Thanks for sharing...

June 11, 2009 at 12:02 AM  
Blogger Maria Killam said...

That desk is fabulous! I can't wait to see it in it's proper home!

June 11, 2009 at 1:08 AM  
Blogger Miss Madras said...

That shop is fabulous! I love the desk.

June 11, 2009 at 7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love that green chair!!

and HA HA HA...true life is amazing..i have such opinions of staten island and summer at the jersey shore from that store!!

and Cam, I'm going to shoot u an mail about ebay and stores..I know u said yuo were setting one up and I m considering doing one.

June 11, 2009 at 11:02 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

oh my gosh this place sounds like heaven!!!! love what you showed!!

haha yes, and jon is such a sweetie for doing the trip for you.

June 11, 2009 at 12:22 PM  
Blogger Alicia B. Designs said...

oh my gawwwd that was so funny! Glad your adventure went well!

June 11, 2009 at 5:04 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

that's a sweet desk. i hope you're client love it.

June 11, 2009 at 6:11 PM  
Blogger Every Thing Goes Furniture said...

We all are absolutely thrilled that you liked our store so much to blog about it. Thanks so much. We love to hear from customers who appreciate our store as much as we do. We are very glad that you found something you liked. We'd love to see a picture of the desk in it's new home. Hope to see you soon.

Ellen and staff from Every Thing Goes Furniture.

June 13, 2009 at 6:04 PM  
Blogger ArchitectDesign™ said...

that breakfront is delicious! I want it so badly, wish I lived closer :-(

June 16, 2009 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Magic Brush said...

Wow... what a great store you have! Love that desk!

July 8, 2009 at 7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home