Monday, June 15, 2009

Weekend Recap

Hello My loves,



So I’ve been totally excited to share with everyone the steal that I got over the weekend at a local thrift shop! I get up this morning totally excited and grab my camera to take pictures and of course the battery is dead! It needed to charge, which meant this blogger needed to calm down and wait for it to do so.



Well the battery has now charged and I snapped some shots for all to see!



If you’ve been reading my blog for a while now you will know that my dining room has been quite the sore spot for me. You can read more about here and here. I'll be in my house 2 years this coming January and in that time I have gone through two sets of furniture for my dining room.



Most recently my dining room looked like this:



kitchen 018Yes folks, your eyes are not deceiving you that is a plastic table with plastic chairs. I call it outdoor chic.



Since I have already gone through 2 sets that didn’t work out for one reason or another I decided to take my time and find the perfect thing. So since Feb my dining room has looked like the image above.



On Saturday I went to a thrift shop to search for some furniture for my SIL who is moving into her own apt in the beginning of July and would like to get everything with the price tag of FREE! Well the thrift store is the closest I can get to that.



So off I went with my hubby. (Yes I dragged him there as well. The poor guy gets taken on all my decorating adventures)  Of course the two sofas I had scouted out for my SIL earlier in the week were already sold, but I found dining room furniture!



I originally had my heart set out to get something from Martha Stewart. I love the classic lines her furniture has and how they look a bit traditional, but more importantly chic and timeless.



MARTHASTEWARTDINING  Example of Martha Stewart’s Dining Room Furniture collection.



Since I still wanted to have money to you know by food and stuff I put MS furniture on the back burner and tried to search for something similar in style.



Enter my amazing find from this weekend:



vintagediningroomsetmomspic 066 The color is a bit deeper in person, but isn’t that veneer amazing?



vintagediningroomsetmomspic 068



The table is a double pedestal, which I really wanted and fits in the space perfectly.

vintagediningroomsetmomspic 067It came with 6 chairs that I’m going to paint to not have everything look so matchy-matchy and of course we need some new fabric for the seat. I also on the hunt for two amazing upholstered chairs for the heads of the table.



vintagediningroomsetmomspic 072 



The glasswork on the piece is amazing. In all the 3 pieces the glass is bowed. The pieces on the left and the right had a diamond design in gold leaf. I didn’t really enjoy it so with a razor blade I was able to scrape it up. By “I” I totally mean Jon did most of it, but I helped!



The most amazing thing was the price! It was originally around $900 at the Thrift Shop. It had been there for a couple of months so when I went in last Monday it was done to $589. Then I went back with Jon on Saturday and it has on sale again for $488. Then I asked if there was any wiggle room on the price and got them down to $445!



We were able to fit the table and four chairs in Jon’s chair right away so we packed it up and hurried home. Getting the china cabinet was a little more difficult. It is only one piece so you can’t separate it and it was too large to fit in Jon’s Highlander.



So we went to Home Depot where we kinda lied and said we needed to rent the flatbed truck for something large we were buying there. Then as soon as we got the keys we ran out, didn’t buy anything, drove to the thrift store, picked up the china cabinet and 2 chairs, drove home and then back to home depot and returned it. Ah of course the home depot, thrift store and our home were in completely different towns so it was quite a bit of driving, but it only cost us $30 to use their truck!



I’m super excited, because now I have extra funds to get amazing wallpaper, fabric and lighting! Plus we need a server for the opposite side of the room, but I’m hoping I can find a thrift store find for that!



Whew, if you read all that then Congrats! I was so excited to get it and even more excited to share it with you all. I can already see it coming together and of course you are going to come along for the ride. I think I’m going to tackle my wallpaper pick first and of course I’ll want opinions.

Labels: , ,

31 Comments:

Blogger Collins @ Life. Mostly Sweet. said...

Congrats on an amazing find. I love it and can't wait to see it all once you are done!

June 15, 2009 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

WOW! What an awesome score! I love seeing what other people are able to find at thrift stores because it gives me hope that someday I will find something amazing too :) Can't wait to see how you spruce it all up!

June 15, 2009 at 12:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you kidding me??? This has got to be the score of the century! It is gorgeous and amazing quality - the kind of thing you would pass down in a family. You really have a knack for finding the best stuff. And this is a good lesson in patience - if you wait, you will ultimately find exactly what you're looking for. Congratulations! I'm totally excited for you.

June 15, 2009 at 12:09 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Amazing find!!! Can't wait for the next step!!

June 15, 2009 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger Sarah's Fab Day said...

So exciting! I love your find and the price is even better.

June 15, 2009 at 12:29 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

What a fantastic find! Congrats!

June 15, 2009 at 12:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks great! I agree that this is the thrifting find of the century. Congrats! What fabric are you thinking for the chairs?

June 15, 2009 at 12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amazing! I cant wait to see the chairs done!!

June 15, 2009 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

What a fun find!!

June 15, 2009 at 1:12 PM  
Blogger bluehydrangea said...

Congratulations!! It does pay to wait. the only thing better than your new furniture is the price. Can't wait to see the chairs painted and recovered!

June 15, 2009 at 1:22 PM  
Blogger Yansy said...

Great find and the price is even better. Congrats, I know you are going to do an amazing job with your dining room. Can't wait to see pics.

June 15, 2009 at 1:28 PM  
Blogger Miss Madras said...

You can't beat the price for a great find! Can't wait to see the chairs finished.

June 15, 2009 at 1:48 PM  
Blogger PS~Erin said...

What a deal! It feels so good to get find something that you love for such a good price! The glass on the cabinet is so cool. I can't wait to see it all put together in your room!

June 15, 2009 at 2:20 PM  
Blogger Freckles Chick said...

So much potential but they're also beautimous in their current "vintage" state! Score! Can't wait to see you work your magic on them, C.

June 15, 2009 at 2:29 PM  
Blogger Stephanie Sabbe said...

I'll keep that Home Depot truck thing in mind!Great finds!

June 15, 2009 at 3:00 PM  
Blogger Re:Fresh Design Studio said...

Wow-what a great find! I keep scouring the local thrift stores here in MN hoping to find a great score, but haven't had any luck yet. This inspires me to keep looking!

June 15, 2009 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger katiedid said...

Congrats! What a find, and for under $500?!?!?! Amazing!!

June 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM  
Blogger thehomebound said...

Great finds! I can't wait to see what you do with them.

June 15, 2009 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Kristin said...

I love it! Congrats on your good find!!

June 15, 2009 at 4:52 PM  
Blogger My Notting Hill said...

Looks terrific and that is a seriously amazing price! wow! I posted today on a great find too.

June 15, 2009 at 5:31 PM  
Blogger Christina said...

wow, it looks like you had a very successful weekend. good job!

June 15, 2009 at 6:17 PM  
Blogger Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

good find! I love the cabinet. the curves are great.

June 15, 2009 at 10:10 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Love it!! That table is beautiful and what an awesome find. That is definitely a testimate to patience. Rock on!

June 15, 2009 at 11:01 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

What a great score and that price is incredible for the whole shebang! WOW!!! It will look incredible once you add the golden touch to it all.

June 16, 2009 at 6:56 AM  
Blogger Aartee said...

Gorgeous finds!

June 16, 2009 at 9:42 AM  
Blogger LindsB said...

Wow, what an amazing find- I LOVE the table and the curved glass on the china cabinet is beautiful!! Finding this like this always make the end result so much sweeter for sure. I cant wait to see what color you paint the chairs and what fabric you pick out... I hope you dont have as much issue as I did picking out fabric :)

Wait till you see my weekend find- you are going to die :) I'll email pics later

June 16, 2009 at 10:50 AM  
Blogger paula said...

what a beautiful find. I think I may need to hit the thrift shops soon.

June 16, 2009 at 11:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay you. I can't wait to see what you do with it. I love tweaking the traditional too.

June 16, 2009 at 8:46 PM  
Blogger pve design said...

What about the chinese fab for these chairs and paint them white?

June 18, 2009 at 6:56 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

how did i miss this?!!!! ! i can't say how much i love it!!!! gorgeous!!!
xoxo

June 23, 2009 at 11:34 AM  
Blogger MiriamR said...

Its so beautiful. Great find!

July 17, 2009 at 2:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home