Monday, March 8, 2010

Weekend Recap: Progress

Last week I made plans with my friend, Caitlin to get together during her trip to NY. Due to our blogs we’ve become great friends and anytime she is in NY we must meet up!



I constantly nag her that she must move back to NY, because I had a dream that her, Jenny and I got our own TV show called Decorating Darlings due to our effortless style, diy attitude and thrifty nature. Now in my dreams this show was based out of NY and followed The View so in order to make it all come true she must relocate!



Ah don’t you love my imagination? No one can say I’m not creative. This summer I’ll have Jenny in my neighborhood so I’ll continue to work on Caitlin!



Ok enough day dreaming back to the matter at hand…the visit. We have a full day of fun lined up for this coming Tuesday and part of the plans includes coming back to my house, which meant all of my projects around the house needed some cleaning up!



So the majority of the weekend was spent on making the house look pretty. Gone are the days of me picking up a must have dress or pair of shoes that will complete me. Now the only accessories I buy are a chic pair of lamps or a can of spray-paint to finish one of my many projects.



First stop Pottery Barn & William Sonoma Home outlets. Now you all know I love a good deal, but I tend to shy away from the outlets. It’s about an 1 and half away from my house and I always come home empty handed. I hadn’t been there in about a year so I decided to check it out!



So happy I went, because I found a rug that totally completed me and my dining room design plan.



Ah it was love at first sight. The Hayden Rug from Pottery Barn retails for $649.99 ( 8 x 10). I was lucky enough to find the last one for $229.99!



haydenrugpotterybarn



Here it is in all it’s glory! It fit perfectly in the space and with my wallpaper, fabric, and lighting on it’s way this room will finally be complete…for the time being, because you know me I’ll continue to tweak it forever.



DSC03209



After this purchase I very happily drove back home and me and Jon started to clean up the backyard a bit. During that time I started thinking about a desk I had seen at the outlets. Not just any desk, but a West Elm Parsons desk that has been calling my name for a while now.



Parsons Desk with Drawers



The Polished Turmeric color aka yellow looked like it would work wonders next to my main fabric choice in the room.



Fabric Store - Floral Print Fabric - Wonderland Pearl



Oh yes it was also the last one in the store and only $149 as oppose to $229.



Not wanting to miss out I called the store, had it put on hold and convinced my husband that driving out east again was a super great idea!



Lucky for me it was quite easy to get Jon on my side and voila here is a snap shot of it this morning!



DSC03212

Now of course the room still needs new windows, new French door, new desk chair, etc, but we should be there soon!



Some other finishing touches that got done:



Kitchen got decluttered and my new/old vintage gym locker baskets got a new home.



DSC03213



Dining room chairs started to get a new coat of paint!



DSC03215



Last, but not least my vintage looking candy machine that I had to have (because Rory & Lorelai had one on Gilmore Girls) got filled with candy! It’s been empty for about 2 years!



DSC03216





I also got to pick the Olympic Paint Give-away winner with the help of
Random.org and I’m happy to announce that Sandra won! Can’t wait to see what she does with the paint!



So, lovely readers of mine what did you do this weekend? Share! I would love to know!

Labels:

34 Comments:

Blogger Full House said...

awesome finds, awesome company & I can't wait to see what you come up with.

March 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Averill said...

I love your outlet finds. I haven't been to the outlets near me in ages but you've got me itching to go again!

March 8, 2010 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger bryn alexandra said...

Oh I can't wait for the reveal! I'm so jealous you get to hang out with Caitlin and live by Jenny (soon), they are two of my favorites. Jenny is actually more like an idol haha.

March 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM  
Blogger Dreams of Perfection said...

SOUR PATCH KIDS!! Of everything you just posted...all I can focus on is SOUR PATCH KIDS!

March 8, 2010 at 12:05 PM  
Blogger Lisa @ Lisa Moves said...

I love love love that parsons desk...i've been eyeing it myself for months. But I have nowhere to put it. :-(

I went to Homegoods and bought two orange lamps that I love but have no place for....they went in the basement. We are moving next year and I will find a place for them. (Maybe on top of my yellow parsons table!) Also got two 3x4 large framed corkboards ($50! how do you pass that up??), one for the kitchen and one for the kids artwork in the playroom.

Aaaand also at Homegoods, a round green mirror that I wanted for my bedroom but is too small, but turned out to be the right size for the space over the toy cube. Which led me to switching all the blue bins out for green bins. Which made me think, hmm, I bet those Blad Ikea curtains would look great in here and finally tie in that ugly red sofa my MIL gave me. So! I gave the playroom a makeover in the space of one day, all based on a green mirror that I bought for a different room. Voila.

I've been in kind of a decorating frenzy lately.

I also attempted a pelmet for the kitchen window (for the third time), but it looks...eh. Not nearly as nice as my playroom. Crafty, I am not.

March 8, 2010 at 12:23 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

You got some great deals this weekend- I love the desk and the rug. We need more pictures now, I'm dying here!

March 8, 2010 at 12:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing finds.

And please start pitching your imaginary show for real. I can't think of anything better than Decorating Darlings!

March 8, 2010 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger Be Colorful Coastal said...

I would love to find a blogging buddy near by but in the midwest nobody seems to get the concept.
Love the color you chose for the chairs and I am enjoying that taupe and white striped wall in the background. It looks like a treatment my friend is pulling together in her space. Enjoy seeing what you write. Thanks for keeping me inspired.
Pam @ Becolorful

March 8, 2010 at 12:35 PM  
Blogger bluehydrangea said...

Love that rug and desk!!! I need some outlet therapy!!

March 8, 2010 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger Jessica @ Lavender and Lilies said...

I have been loving that desk for a while myself. Great job.

March 8, 2010 at 1:06 PM  
Blogger PS~Erin said...

You had a wonderfully productive weekend there! Love the rug and desk scores!

March 8, 2010 at 1:26 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

My goodness you are one busy bee! Where do you find the time?! Everything looks great. And I would totally be a loyal viewer of your TV show!

March 8, 2010 at 1:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

that rug is amazing. i can't wait to see the rest! seriously loving your blog lately.

March 8, 2010 at 2:30 PM  
Blogger Jaime @ laviejaime said...

What a steal from Pottery Barn!!

March 8, 2010 at 2:41 PM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

Your pieces look great!

March 8, 2010 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

That is one sweet rug! Great finds! And ahhhhhhh!!!! I need a candy machine!!!! filled with gummi bears!!!

March 8, 2010 at 2:59 PM  
Blogger Susie @ Maddie G Designs said...

Love the rug and the desk. I never go out to our outlets....maybe I should re-think! I love the fabric you've chosen as well. Cannot wait to see the finished product(s).

March 8, 2010 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger Tammy@InStitches said...

You got some great stuff and I can't believe you have a West Elm outlet !!

March 8, 2010 at 3:38 PM  
Blogger Chic Coles said...

You really had quite the weekend! I love the rug and table and the color of the chair is so fun!

March 8, 2010 at 4:30 PM  
Blogger Marija said...

Where to start!??! First, I love sour patch kids - perfect for your vintage candy machine.

Your dining room rug is a TERRIFIC find and I love the chairs. Can't wait to see the end product.

I can't get enough Parson's desks - that yellow is great. Talk about a livening up a space!

Great finds! Marija

March 8, 2010 at 5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I spotted your blog from the Cote de Texas site. This weekend at Pier One I spotted several different elephant things, esp a S&P set. I'm partial to owl things, but I am very picky, as are you about your elephants. ..but they were cute and I thought of your blog! ChristanBrannon@hotmail.com

March 8, 2010 at 5:45 PM  
Blogger Hello Lover... said...

love love love your rug! The fabric you chose is also really beautiful!

The chairs are very Eddie Ross - I'm a fan.

Lucky lady!

March 8, 2010 at 7:00 PM  
Blogger Megan {My Lovely Lane} said...

I thought I was doing pretty well making a topiary and spray painting my patio chairs this weekend, but you put me to shame! I can't wait for the reveal! I love it when you find the perfect thing unexectedly.

March 8, 2010 at 8:52 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome finds.. awesome ideas! Thanks for sharing.

March 8, 2010 at 8:58 PM  
Blogger Karyn said...

I'm amazed by how much you've accomplished in two days! It all looks great. I adore the rug in the dining room especially. Obviously, I need to do more and think less because my greatest accomplishment this weekend was planting asparagus and FINALLY putting the Christmas tubs into the closet.

March 8, 2010 at 11:34 PM  
Blogger Lovely Little Nest said...

Great job getting so much accomplished! Love the candy dispensers ~ what a neat idea! And that PB rug is FABULOUS ~ what a fantastic deal, lucky! :)

March 9, 2010 at 1:05 AM  
Blogger Kelly Green said...

WOW - Some great projects!!! love the chevron rug - wish we could buy such great stash here in australia! KG

March 9, 2010 at 1:19 AM  
Blogger Haven and Home said...

Wow what a productive weekend! Everything looks great! Love the rug and the desk!

March 9, 2010 at 8:48 AM  
Blogger Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said...

I don't know what to comment on first, the rug, the color of your dining room chairs, the Gilmore girls?? Everything is looking great!! I did not have as much fun this weekend, my home is on the market and we had showings on Saturday and an open house on Sunday which meant I basically didn't let anyone in my family even breath so as to not mess up anything!! Can't wait to see your dining room!

March 9, 2010 at 4:26 PM  
Blogger Lila said...

Love the birds. My friend put some on her wedding cake and they looked totally awesome!
Lila Ferraro
Queen Bedroom Sets

March 9, 2010 at 5:38 PM  
Blogger kayce hughes said...

Love all of your finds. We have no good outlets here in Nashville. so its thrifting or full price.

March 9, 2010 at 6:48 PM  
Anonymous Sandy said...

I love that rug and i absolutely cannot wait to see that finished chair, what a lovely green color! And you OWN that candy machine!?!? I need one in my house, so cool!

March 9, 2010 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger Hopeless Chest said...

I would have mugged you on the street for that rug. It is perfect for my living room. DAMN!

March 10, 2010 at 9:28 PM  
Anonymous Mandy said...

Congrats to Sandra & thanks for hosting such a fabulous give-away.

Sandra, we'd love to see photos of your finished project!

If you want to hear more about Olympic Zero-VOC paint check us out on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/olympicpaint or follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/inspiredcolor

Mandy

March 18, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home