Monday, March 29, 2010

Weekend Recap: This & That

We had a gloomy sort of weekend so I thought it was the perfect setting for some home projects to get done.

 



Number one project that needed to be handled was the dining room. My dining room has been in a state of nothingness for quite some time now. It’s the last room in my house to get tackled. We are on our third dining room table and I’m hoping this one sticks!

 



For the last couple of months I’ve finally known the direction I wanted to go in. But due to other projects this stayed on the back burner, but within the last couple of weeks fabric has been ordered:



suzanifabric



The dining room chairs have been painted:



DSC03215

 



We found and purchased a new rug!



DSC03208



And this weekend we started to wallpaper the dining room!

 



I had originally painted the room a gray shade, but this needed to be covered up in order to prep for wallpaper.

 



*Don’t ya love my brass chandelier! Ah it was in the house when we bought it and it drives me nuts that I haven’t replaced it yet.



weekendrecap 001 



Now in order to wallpaper properly I needed to paint the room again in a shade similar to the wallpaper only to have it covered it with paper once it was dry. It is best to repaint in case any seams show the slightest bit of wall. It’s easier to fool the eye if the paint is the same shade as the paper.



weekendrecap 002

 



So Saturday I painted the room a shade that was practically identical to the grass cloth wallpaper I picked it. Then Sunday we got to work in papering the walls. No final pictures yet. A girl’s gotta keep some secrets!

 



I get to paint from the chair rail down white today and then we are one step further to a finished room.

 



Another project that got started was some gardening. Even though it was raining outside I knew I could get some things done inside.

 



Last year we spent hundreds of dollars on flowers for the yard. They were pretty for a couple of weeks and then bam they started to die.

 



So this year I decided to produce all the blooms myself.

 



I picked up a couple of Jiffy Greenhouses at Walmart for $5.50 (this is the cheapest I’ve seen them) along with  packs of flowers seeds for .20 cents each.



weekendrecap 004

 



First step was to pour 2 and half liters of warm water onto the pellets:



weekendrecap 007 



Then you had to wait a couple of seconds for them to poof up:



weekendrecap 010

 



Next I took a chop-stick from our junk drawer and used to make a small hole. (There is already a hole to begin with I just wanted it a bit deeper.)



weekendrecap 011



Two-Three seeds are then placed in each pellet:



weekendrecap 012

 



Last step cover them up and place labels so that you know what’s what. They then have to stay covered in a warm place without direct sunlight.



weekendrecap 013



There are a couple more steps before they can go in the ground outside so I’ll make sure to take pictures when those steps happen, but for the time being I’ve already started my little garden.

 



Jon has two cases full of veggies already growing! We did the same thing last year and had great success with peppers!

 



So loves, what did you do this weekend? Anything fun or was it filled with projects or perhaps a little of both?

 



I finished up a couple more projects that I’ll be sharing this week as well.

Labels:

24 Comments:

Blogger Tammy@InStitches said...

How did I not know you can get fabric on Amazon ?! Can't wait to see your room finished. Love your choices !

March 29, 2010 at 11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh goodness another thing i use my amazon card on now! lol.

and um, that RUG!! where isit from?!?!?

March 29, 2010 at 12:07 PM  
Blogger Jenny at LGN said...

Lookin' good, girl! Can't wait to see the 'afters'!!

I've used that suzani print in two or three projects and it is GORGEOUS!! One of my favorites, for sure.

xx
jenny

March 29, 2010 at 12:11 PM  
Blogger Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

the rug is fantastic and the green of the chairs is really pretty, it will be amazing!

March 29, 2010 at 12:12 PM  
Blogger Flavia @ Estilo Home said...

Looking good! That rug is amazing! Can't wait to see the finished room.

March 29, 2010 at 12:28 PM  
Blogger Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

I love the chevron rug! Beautiful!

Happy growing! I need to plant some tomatoes ASAP... = )

I'm your newest follower!

March 29, 2010 at 12:36 PM  
Anonymous AppleTree said...

I love that rug and the chairs so cool. Can't wait to see the grass cloth.

March 29, 2010 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

What an amazing weekend. You got a TON done!

March 29, 2010 at 3:04 PM  
Anonymous Sarah (Matters of Style) said...

Can't wait to see your room!!! I was projectless this weekend for the first time in a long time! Oh, except for lining a booshelf with fabric but that doesn't really count!

March 29, 2010 at 4:27 PM  
Blogger Hamptontoes said...

I am absolutely loving the look you are pulling together...can't wait to see the finished project. Stop by my blog today...I passed the Happy 101 blogger award on to you and some others...love your blog.

March 29, 2010 at 4:28 PM  
Blogger bluehydrangea said...

Can not wait to see your dining room!!!

March 29, 2010 at 4:46 PM  
Blogger MFAMB said...

i have that fabric too! and am using it on 2 chippendale chairs!! farts we are awesome!!!!!

March 29, 2010 at 4:54 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

such a tease you are- We need some grasscloth pics pronto! Sounds like your dinging room is going to be stunning!!

March 29, 2010 at 6:28 PM  
Blogger paula said...

cant wait to see more! the chairs look amazing! Makes me think maybe I should have painted my chairs before sending them off to the reupholster.

March 29, 2010 at 7:07 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

I love your chairs. I have some faux bamboo chairs I got on craigslist I want to paint and recover but I can't decide on a color or a pattern. My drapes are throwing me off. I was going to go white, but now your chairs make me crave color!

March 29, 2010 at 7:24 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Love your fabric & the rug. Can't wait to see the end result!

March 29, 2010 at 7:50 PM  
Blogger E @ Oh! Apostrophe said...

Dining room is looking so awesome! I love the fabric and can't wait to see it all pulled together!

March 29, 2010 at 7:55 PM  
Blogger alison giese Interiors said...

I'm DYING to see the "after" pics - LOVE the color you painted your shield-backs!

March 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM  
Blogger Marija said...

I don't know what I'm more excited about - the dining room or the flowers! I do not have a green thumb but i LOVE to keep a vegetable garden. I can't wait to see your blooms! Marija

March 29, 2010 at 8:51 PM  
Blogger Dallas Landrum-Martin said...

You got so much accomplished, you're making me look bad! I'm falling in deep love with your rug too.
This weekend I wrapped up my stage management gig for "A Streetcar Named Desire." Big success :) I won't be tackling any projects until next weekend.

March 29, 2010 at 8:57 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

Looks like you're one busy girl but dang, you have some talent!! The colors you picked out, the fabrics, the gardening... I'm so jealous!

March 29, 2010 at 10:13 PM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

Great projects! I love the little greenhouses.

March 30, 2010 at 9:55 AM  
Blogger Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

Goodness y'all were busy! Love the chairs! I planted herbs and am waiting for them to sprout! I hope it works!! :)

March 30, 2010 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger Caitlin said...

I'm dying to see the finished product.

I've been wanting to use that suzani fabric for a long time.

Im so glad it is finding a pretty home.

Also, for the smell. Try putting lemon wedges in your garbage disposal, or if you don't have a garbage disposal, blend them and then take the lid off and let it sit in the kitchen for a while.

Good luck.

March 30, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home