Friday, April 2, 2010

Shop Girl: B&J Fabrics

Yesterday I spent a beautiful sunny day shopping in the fabric district. Now I’m not going to lie the fabric district is not in the nicest part of NYC. You have Port Authority, Times Square and Penn Station all sort of surrounding you so it can get really packed with tourists, but it is well worth a visit if you are in the area.

 



One of my favorites shops has to be B & J Fabrics!



b&jfabrics



Pure fabric heaven. Their tag line is, “ Possibly the best fabrics in the world” and I must agree.

 



I made sure I snapped many pictures with my iphone so that you could all feel like you were there with me.

 



Take a look around:



b&jboltsoffabric

Can you tell which fabric caught my eye in this picture?

b&jfabrics2 



Loved this navy blue and white chain link.



b&jchainlink 



Ah this just made me happy! All those bright colors.



boltsoffabric 



Patterned bolts of fabric. The whole store was so nice and organized.



moreboltsoffabric 



You know me and my love for brown & white. This totally caught my eye and it was only $15.95 a yard.



geometricfabric 



Polka dots will always be a classic to me. So I was happy to see oh so many lined up.



polkdots

 



Now the majority of the shops in the fabric district house fabric for garments. There is very little in the world of upholstery. I’ve yet to find a gem that has remnant of Kravet’s and F. Schumacher that I can dig through.

 



B & J is mostly fashion, but they do have a nice sized collection of cottons in prints and solids that could be used for pillows and window treatments and they all seemed to be around $10-$30 a yard so it’s not that crazy for a nice, clean and organized shop!

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Flavia @ Estilo Home said...

Great fabrics! I so wish we had a fabric store like that around here.

April 2, 2010 at 11:10 AM  
Blogger hana said...

there's a great upholstery fabric shop just off from all the others. i'll be wandering around soon & will let you know exactly where it is. thanks for the pretty photos! need to go asap.

April 2, 2010 at 11:30 AM  
Anonymous Bailey@ peppermintbliss said...

SO jeallybeans of your fab New York resources, I need to suss out some gems here in Chicago!

April 2, 2010 at 12:34 PM  
Blogger Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

oh incredible! I need a shop like that! and a sewing machine!
have a lovely Easter weekend

April 2, 2010 at 1:37 PM  
Blogger Elena said...

Looks nice! Any recommendations for a shop with more basic cottons? I'm a craft sewer and mostly make bags and such. I found that the garment district had only fashion fabrics, as one might expect.

April 2, 2010 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger Kelly Green said...

ooh - you have made me completey jealous! what i wouldn't give to get in that store with you! KG

April 2, 2010 at 4:08 PM  
Anonymous sketch42 said...

Love B&J... They I always have just what I am looking for and more!

April 2, 2010 at 6:26 PM  
Anonymous Nouveau Stitch said...

There's Zarins...as in Jill Zarin (RHNY) on Grand/LES. I think Lindsay has a list of home dec stores on her site....
http://www.lindsaytsews.com/

Ellen

April 2, 2010 at 7:46 PM  
Blogger May Brady said...

OMG, fabric heaven!!! I must go there next trip to New York... will bring an extra suitcase.

April 2, 2010 at 8:16 PM  
Blogger Robyn said...

I live in Dallas. We have soo many fabric houses to choose from here. It takes days just to go through them. I always enjoy finding just the right shop.

April 5, 2010 at 12:59 PM  
Blogger kayce hughes said...

OK Now I am missing the City.

April 5, 2010 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger pve design said...

I think the chain link would make a sweet summer shift or a caftan? Did you buy it?
pve

April 6, 2010 at 6:47 AM  
Blogger Dreams of Perfection said...

If I was in there I would not come out. I would just hide when they closed! I love fabric.

April 6, 2010 at 3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home