Thursday, April 8, 2010

Shop Girl: MUJI

If you are ever in the NY area you must make a spot at MUJI. This store is known for it’s no frills and extra’s philosophy and while that may sound boring to some it is the complete opposite.

 



I literally wanted one of everything in the shop. They do a great job of merchandising their wares and while everything is simple you know a lot of thought went into each design.

 



Of course I always want to share my favorite stores with you so I had to snap some pictures along the way.

 



The first thing that caught my eye was all of these containers. I seriously wanted one of everything. Why? I don’t really know, but I just figured I would have a million uses for them. Ah told ya I’m a marketer’s dream. :)



mujicontainers 



Always the interior decorator these acrylic boxes had me at hello. I can already picture them in my office holding supplies.



mujiluciteboxes 



In my office I would also need notebooks and binders. Don’t you fret, because a couple of aisles over they have them in every size you can imagine.



mujiofficesupplies



They also had rows and rows of classic white dishes.  I love white dishes. Since I tend to change my decor around quite a bit it’s nice to have timeless dishes that go with everything.



mujiwhitedishes 



Look at their wall of cleaning supplies! Wow. Again totally want one of everything.



mujicleaningsupplies 



Now you are in NY so you know your going to want to pick up something to remember your trip. They have some of the chicest souvenirs I’ve ever seen. 



mujinyc 



My favorite had to be their city in a bag.



mujicityinabag



I don’t know why, but Jon loves picking up teeny toiletries for when we travel. I on the other hand love trying to jam all the full size stuff into my suitcase. That is until now when I spotted MUJI’s toiletries wall. AMAZING!



mujitoilettries 



Lastly my favorite thing in the store had to be their towels. Yes they look like any ordinary towel, but then I read the little write up on them.



mujitowels 



These towels are made with ribbing. Not only for the design of it, but so that you can reuse them. Let’s say you use it as your bath towel, but part of it starts getting a little worn. No problem. Simply cut down one of the ribbed lines and voila you now have a bath mat or a hand towel. In cutting down the ribs it will prevent any fraying so you can get as much use out of the towel as possible.



mujiribbedtowel

 



They also have clothing! But you know me I was mostly interested in their home decor items.

 



If you want to do a little virtual shopping you can check out their store here.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Karla @ KERRISDALE DESIGN blog said...

Camilla, this store is nuts! Love, love, love the minimalist display, and like you (good thing I live nowhere near New York!) I could buy some of everything. Totally added to my must visit list for NYC. :)

PS. That towel idea? GENIUS

Karla
blog.kerrisdaledesign.com

April 8, 2010 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Pink said...

This store sounds fantastic! Love the displays (all but the cleaning one of course:). Thanks for sharing your find.

April 8, 2010 at 11:41 AM  
Blogger The Brick Cottage said...

I would love to visit that store! Although I'm sure I'd be a little more than broke after going through the check out line! haha!

April 8, 2010 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

such a cool shop. love it's simplicity.

April 8, 2010 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Averill said...

Fun! Muji is on my "must shop" list for our trip to London next month. I'm a huge fan of their sleek, simple aesthetic.

April 8, 2010 at 12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I looooove this shop. It's a mecca for the minimalist. I get giddy over the make-your-own-pen display when you first walk into the one in SoHo!

I'm going to be down in NY this weekend, thanks for reminding me of another shop to add to my "must-visit" list!

April 8, 2010 at 12:24 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i totally know what you mean about wanting all the little acrylic containers... there's something so streamlined about them that makes them just irresistible!

April 8, 2010 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

I would go nuts there! All those clear containers, I would buy multiples of each and be so happy!

April 8, 2010 at 2:52 PM  
Blogger Dallas Landrum-Martin said...

Completely unfair that I live in another state *whine!*

Onboard with the white dishes - last week I stole a 26 piece set of white Williams Sonoma Brasserie from Salvation Army for $13. Score!

Those towels are absolute genius, did you buy any?

April 8, 2010 at 8:38 PM  
Blogger Southern Aspirations said...

oh this is fantastic! Hadn't heard of it before but it's now on "the list."

April 8, 2010 at 10:19 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

I LOVE your shop girl posts! I just clicked over to their website, and am thrilled to find that they have an online store! Thanks so much for sharing!

April 11, 2010 at 8:03 PM  
Blogger traci zeller designs said...

I think I've died and gone to heaven. This is so going on my list for my next trip to NYC!

April 12, 2010 at 1:25 AM  
Blogger Alexandra Rae said...

I have to see if there's one in LA. I would die and go to heaven in this store.

April 12, 2010 at 8:16 AM  
Blogger Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

i absolutely love their acrylic boxes!

April 12, 2010 at 1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home