Friday, October 8, 2010

IN HER SHOES: The Inside Stoop

Lindsey is the author of The Inside Stoop where she writes about her design finds and inspiration. I only recently found it, but it's already become a daily read. If anyone knows about design trends and styles it would be her, because she works for HGTV in TV development! Cool, right?

She gets to watch TV, eat cupcakes and read blogs all while she is at work and she doesn't get in trouble, because it's her job. Sign me up! (I totally know it's more complicated than that, but all of the above perks are super cool.)

I love coming up with new things whether it is a cool name for a nail polish that I think should be invented or show idea like one on HGTV starring my super handy husband and his sometimes nutty, but totally lovable wife, which means I was super interested in a day in Lindsey's life. She gets to brainstorm all day on show ideas, search for new stars, tape with new stars and watch footage of existing HGTV shows.

I quickly emailed her and asked her to join in on the fun and she very quickly rose to the challenge.

So sit back, relax and enjoy a day in her life!

_________________________________________________________________

8:00AM
wake up to this brat meowing in my face cause she's hungry


walk downstairs, cook some yum and get showered and ready for work


9:00AM
grab my bike, see cute guy in my elevator, get nervous, dont talk to him. put helmet on and weave my bike through traffic on 6th ave to get to work.



9:30AM
get to HGTV offices, check my email, head over to brian balthazar's office. bri and i head down to mcdonalds where our favorite mcdonalds employee, Venus serves us two large diet cokes.



10:ooAM
we all meet in brians office. each day someone brings in something pickled. brian and min believe that pickling is going to be the next big thing. today, brian brought purple pickled eggs. we eat the eggs, drink diet coke and watch the latest cut of Selling NY.



11:00AM
planning for my casting trip to Nashville next week: booking travel, making schedules for the shoot day. we found some great design talent there so i'm going to fly down there and shoot her doing a consult with one of her clients. can't help but think about the biscuts at nashvilles loveless cafe. it's the bonus feature of this casting trip.



11:30AM
conference call with the scripps production team. the view is playing on my tv in the background. who's the guest today? pay attention to your call, lindsey.



noon
Host of Income Property, Scott McGillivray swings by the office with his producers. Chat with them, stare at Scott...
he's dreamy, funny and smart. We have this hat in the office, that has a wig attached to it. when ever someone comes by we make them put it on, take a picture of them and add it to a picture wall.



12:30PM
call courtney, who sits 3 feet away from me and talk about what we want for lunch today. conference brian in to get his take on lunch. dilly dally. grab some moshe's falafel but realize that we also need something for our 3pm sweet tooth. swing by magnolia cupcakes and grab a tub of banana pudding, and some red velvet cupcakes cause why not?



1PM
eat lunch while browsing all the design blogs. take some notes on what's hot today and discover a fun new designer on Desire to Inspire. Discover an awesome product on Better Living Through Design and write about it in our internal trend files so everyone can see it. trend files is an internal magazine i produce for the entire company. basically, it's cliffs notes to what's cool in the design/lifestyle industry.




2PM
meet with Courtney to go over some casting ideas for an awesome new show. Courtney poses like a supermodel for a blackberry picture...
while talking about casting for that show, we think of another new show idea that is even more awesome.


2:30PM
write up super awesome new show idea, get excited. read pitches, watch tape, read pitches, watch tape, watch more tape. Amy, who sits by me, is selling her purse. i want it.



4:00PM
Oprah is on. Topic: One mom, 20 Personalities. Woah, depressing. Doesn't hold my attention, so i go to Brians office.



we eat cupcakes and watch rough cuts of house hunters. obviously, they pick the wrong house. ugh.


4:30PM
read pitches, watch tape. Get an email from one of my fave designers, Mr Brad Ford, about his new partner, MyDeco.com. Become obsessed with MyDeco.com like i am obsessed with Brad Ford.


5:00PM
pre production conference call for a shoot that is happening next week. logistics and other fun stuff. shooting with new talent is always exciting for me.



6:00PM
head home on my bike. it's about to rain so i have to ride super fast. i get home, put together some posts for my blog, the inside stoop for tomorrow.


7:00PM
meet a friend for drinks at the ace hotel (my fave meeting spot in the city). have some fries from the breslin. yum.


8:00PM
My best friend Blake is the Editor of Playbill. Like the magazine you get everytime you go to see a broadway play. She has these super highbrow tastes when it comes to plays. literally, since the day she was named Editor, i have been begging her to take me to see Mary Poppins. it's actually been a big point of contention between the two of us. she refuses to see it. tonight, she has a news reporter friend who is doing a piece on Mary Poppins. for the story, he has a walk on role in the show just for one night. so Blake wants to go support him. Guess who goes as her plus one...



11:00PM
go home, turn on the TV and put on my painting overalls. i need to paint my apartment, because we are shooting in it next week. I'm embarrassed to have a camera crew at my place with the walls looking the way they do.
1:00AM
pass out way too late.



A big thanks to Lindsey for letting us in on the inner workings of one of our favorite networks.

Now I'll just sit here waiting to see if her people call my people so that we can get the ball rolling on pitching a TV show. Ah a girl can dream... :)

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger LindsB said...

What a total dream job! Lindsey are you hiring? :)

October 8, 2010 at 9:45 AM  
Anonymous Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Um, could I please be Lindsey?!? That job sounds fab, and I'm totally going to have to check out her blog now. Thanks for sharing!! :)

October 8, 2010 at 9:58 AM  
Anonymous Robyn said...

Okay, I'm in. Where do I sign up for that job? I love Scott from Income Property.

October 8, 2010 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

I think we are all going to be fighting for her job! Loved this post!!

Have a great weekend!
xo Jade

October 8, 2010 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger liz @ bon temps beignet said...

Best job E. V. E. R.

Ps: I just saw a show on Food Network that featured the biscuts @ Loveless. Yum!! They looked so good.

October 8, 2010 at 12:34 PM  
Anonymous ashley said...

i love it... what a fun job! she seems so quirky and cute.. i want to be her friend!

October 8, 2010 at 12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my dad is obsessed with income property, and i only watch it with him bc scott is dreamy and i want to pinch his plump biscuits(cheeks ladies! kinds out of the gutter!)

what an amazing job. back to my boring life right now.

October 8, 2010 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger jennifer said...

Great profile! Lindsey is adorable. And, I love Scotty McHottie.

October 8, 2010 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger Karena said...

Thanks for featuring this doll!

Lindsey you should get promoted and I will take your position!! We have so much in common, I too love cupcakes and Brad Ford!!

Karena

Art by Karena

October 8, 2010 at 3:05 PM  
Blogger Gareen said...

Ugh, Lindsey...HGTV is my favorite not-so-guilty pleasure. They ALWAYS pick the wrong house on House Hunters! Also, I am now obsessed with MyDeco.com. Thanks for sharing your day!

October 8, 2010 at 4:25 PM  
Blogger The Single Nester said...

I do love Scott McGillivray! I actually wrote a blog post about him recently. Check it out.

October 13, 2010 at 6:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home