Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Quick Kitchen re-vamp

When my parents moved into their home many years ago the only updates they made were adding new paint and all of their belongings. That’s it!

 



It’s now 15 plus years of them living in that home and my Mom has finally been bitten by my design bug.

 



Their kitchen has always looked mostly like this:



DSC02978 {This image is of course after all the counter tops had been cleaned off it’s never that empty and all of the hardware had been removed.}

 



Notice how the majority of the paint is peeling off. I think my mom tried to convince herself it was Shabby Chic.



Copy of DSC02974



This is the gaudy hardware that was centered on each cabinet.



DSC02969



Since my mom had recently changed the paint colors in the kitchen I need to work with the existing colors and take into account the floor tiles and countertops.



DSC02962 {After a quick trip to my local Home Depot and Benjamin Moore I had many colors to pick from. While I have many fan decks I still like to have the small swatches that I can move around. I also grabbed swatches of the paint colors on the wall.}

 



Here is a glimpse of what the walls look like on the opposite side of cabinets.



DSC02964 {What can I say we all love orange in this family so it wasn’t a surprise when Mom decided to go with a warm terra cotta shade.}

 



After a long deliberation with some swatches looking too green and some looking not green enough I picked BM’s Crownsville Gray HC-106



Benjamin Moore HC-106 Crownsville Gray

 



But before you can paint you need to make sure you prep the walls properly.

 



We used this to get rid of all the grease build-up, etc that happens in a kitchen:

DSC02976 



After that we went around and patched up all the holes where the existing pulls were with Plastic Wood.  We did this because we were going to change the knob location for a more updated look.

 



Copy of DSC02973



Since we were painting the top cabinets a light shade I didn’t want to have a problem with stains showing through so we did a quick sand on all of the cabinets and gave them a coat of prime.



 



We had many days of the kitchen looking like this:



DSC02981



We then sanded again after the prime dried. This time it wasn’t as bad. Very light sanding was needed.

 



The cabinets in both colors took 2 coats of paint and a sanding in between.



DSC02982



We started thinking of this project on a Monday. We cleaned the walls that day and looked at swatches, bought paint and sanded on Tuesday. The remaining days were spent in one step of painting or another and by Saturday we were finished!

 



Voila a new kitchen (kinda) for around $300 in one week!



DSC03013

 



DSC03016



We all love it! The house had Italian tiles on the floor that we had to work with. So instead of trying to hide the fact that the kitchen had a bit of Tuscan/Mediterranean feel we went with it. The green/gray paint color not only picks up tones in the countertops, but the floor as well.

 



Painting the upper cabinets the same color as the existing wall color helped make the kitchen look more airy and open. It gave the illusion that the cabinets went all the way up to the ceiling.

 



In changing the knobs we updated the look yet again. We also swapped out the old facet with a clearance find at Home Depot for only $62 bucks, when very similar looking ones were going for $180-$220.

 



DSC03003

{Forgot to do a before shot of the sink so Jon was very helpful as my hand model!}

 



To be honest I’ve always been afraid to paint kitchen cabinets. The task seemed daunting and messy and I was never certain about how the paint would hold up.

 



If any of you are thinking about it I would highly recommend doing it. You would save yourself lots of money and for around $300 probably less if you don’t need new hardware you can give your tired kitchen a new lease on life.

 



I think the turn around time worked out well. The sanding, priming, painting etc was from Tuesday to Thursday evening. Friday was spent waiting for paint to dry and re-attaching the doors. Saturday was adding hardware, attaching new facet and window treatment and clean-up.

 



Even our little helper Jovi seems to agree. He was already on the look out for the kitchen mat, which he loves to take a snooze on.



DSC03012 



Tomorrow I’ll have a follow-up post with some techniques that I used that made this whole process easy on me and will help you out if you are considering taking this kind of project on.

Labels: , ,

51 Comments:

Blogger meredith said...

how great!! i love your DIY attitude! great work!

January 5, 2010 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

The kitchen looks great! It's amazing what a couple of coats of paint can do for a space.

January 5, 2010 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger Design Esquire said...

Wow! It looks fantastic. Your family is so lucky to have you to help with all of their design projects!!

January 5, 2010 at 12:02 PM  
Blogger Gray Skies said...

Way to go!

January 5, 2010 at 12:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! it looks GREAT! Isn't it amazing what a coat (or two) of paint can do??? Great job!

January 5, 2010 at 12:32 PM  
Blogger bluehydrangea said...

What a difference, great job! Love that Crownsville Gray!!

January 5, 2010 at 12:41 PM  
Blogger happileah said...

You make it look so easy! When/if Spring rolls around, I'm painting my kitchen cabinets, so I'm looking forward to the step by step.

January 5, 2010 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

What a major difference, it looks so great!! What an awesome daughter you are to help them out and pick new colors and paint with them!

January 5, 2010 at 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Ximena said...

I'd know that pup or kitchen anywhere!! Love the new look!! Xo sis!

January 5, 2010 at 12:52 PM  
Blogger Destination Seaborn said...

That looks much better! Great job!

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm so glad you did or I may not have found yours. I'm anxious to see more projects!

My thoughts are with you as well. Take it easy on yourself and don't be afraid to try again.

{{Gentle hugs}} Lisa

January 5, 2010 at 12:52 PM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

What a great turnaround and for not a lot of money!

January 5, 2010 at 1:01 PM  
Blogger Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Wow fabulous job and for just $300- it IS possible! :)

January 5, 2010 at 1:10 PM  
Blogger Jen said...

My husband & I talk about redoing our cabinets at least once a week! It's so great to hear that you didn't think it was too terrible of a task. I'm holding my breath for your "make it easy" tips!

J

ps- LOVE the greenish color!!!!

January 5, 2010 at 1:13 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

We too painted our kitchen cabinets white and you aren't kidding, a tremendous difference in your ma's kitchen and ours. It was quite a project to tackle (for us) especially with a two-year old running around during the day so most of the painting was done by moi, after the hubby and little man went to bed. :) You do what you have to in order to love your home, right? Same here with working with existing features. Great job.

Btw, I must say, the FIRST thing I noticed was that faucet. Amazing price for such a beauty!

January 5, 2010 at 1:15 PM  
Blogger paula said...

It looks great! I am so happy it was easier than you though. I so want to do mine.

January 5, 2010 at 1:23 PM  
Anonymous Katie (Refresh Design Studio) said...

Loos great! Esp. when you have to work with all the existing items. I'm working on a kitchen like that for a client right now, but it's taking a little longer than yours because their son-in-law is doing the painting in between his contractor jobs! hope theirs turns out as well as your parents' did!

January 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM  
Blogger Mrs. Limestone said...

Wow, that is quite a difference. Bravo to the both of you for the hard work you put into this!

January 5, 2010 at 1:45 PM  
Blogger Melissa Marie Head said...

Awesome change for such a little amount of money. It really does look amazing and love your color choices.

January 5, 2010 at 1:51 PM  
Blogger Carly {Honey and the Moon} said...

It looks great and it's also great that I didn't take too too long to get it all done. It was nice to see the steps you took..how many coats, how many times sanding..I'm thinking about painting my kitchen cabinets pretty soon as well.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting too. I look forward to reading more from you :)

January 5, 2010 at 1:54 PM  
Blogger Abbie said...

Isn't it amazing how quickly it can actually be done when it's been put off for so long?! It looks great! What a steal on that faucet!

January 5, 2010 at 2:47 PM  
Blogger Kelly Green said...

Your mum must be thrilled - love the cupboard colour. great job! KG

January 5, 2010 at 3:02 PM  
Blogger PS~Erin said...

Oh, I'm so glad you posted this. I'm about to embark on painting my kitchen cabinets. Thank you! Oh, and it looks great! Lucky family of yours to have your design knack in the fam.

January 5, 2010 at 3:13 PM  
Blogger vanessa said...

Amazing what the right color of paint can do! I love the hardware as well. And TSP in a spray bottle is the best invention ever.

January 5, 2010 at 3:15 PM  
Blogger Blair Friedeman said...

Fantastic job, as always!!

January 5, 2010 at 3:42 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

This kitchen looks beautiful! I am convinced painting cabinets is the easiest and best way to update a kitchen. The colors you picked are fantastic and I love how you worked within the existing color scheme.

January 5, 2010 at 4:10 PM  
Blogger Averill said...

A big improvement, to be sure. I love the two paint colors you picked for the cabinets and I think they work really well together. Great job!

January 5, 2010 at 4:42 PM  
Anonymous Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

Looks so good! I love everything about it, and the new color really works with the tiles!

January 5, 2010 at 5:19 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

Love it! I'd be willing to paint the cabinets if I knew of a way to redo laminate type counter tops! Any tips?

January 5, 2010 at 5:21 PM  
Blogger C.J. said...

great job! I know what a job it is as I re did the entire kitchen when I bought this house.. what a job that was! Happy 2010!

Designs for You

Carol

http://wwwbeenblogged.blogspot.com/

January 5, 2010 at 5:40 PM  
Blogger alison giese Interiors said...

Think you were spot-on with selecting the same paint color for the upper cabinets as the wall. Looks great!

January 5, 2010 at 5:46 PM  
Blogger {Bellamere Cottage} said...

I've said it over and over, but I'm always astonished by what a bit of pain can do..........It looks NEW...

Happy New Year.

Warm blessings,
Spencer

January 5, 2010 at 5:51 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Wow, your Mum's kitchen looks fabulous! You have done a fantastic job - thanks for sharing your pics and your tips :) Thanks also for your kind comment on my blog. I can't wait to see what other projects you have instore for 2010 :)

January 5, 2010 at 6:38 PM  
Blogger Crystal @ Plush Palate said...

So enjoyed this post Camila! I really like how you painted the cabinets two different colors (top and bottom). The grey grounds the space and white directs your eyes up!

Lovely job!

xo,
Crystal

January 5, 2010 at 6:53 PM  
Blogger Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Good job! You made great improvements on a small budget!

January 5, 2010 at 7:01 PM  
Blogger Christen said...

I absolutely love what you did with the room! I love a Tuscan-esque kitchen!

January 5, 2010 at 8:05 PM  
Blogger ~Chandelier No. 4~ said...

Love the color choices... And another great 'how to' post!

Thanks for giving us such great step-by-step!

~ Joanna

January 5, 2010 at 8:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love the 2 cabinet colors. Great update!

January 5, 2010 at 9:39 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Holy mother! What a difference in the before and after. Great job.

January 5, 2010 at 10:16 PM  
Blogger micah said...

LOVE!!!

January 5, 2010 at 10:38 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Great job! Now that Cablevision has taken away my HGTV, you are filling a "void" where all those DIY home shows used to be...:) Thanks.

January 5, 2010 at 11:17 PM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. Glad to have discovered yours now. What an amazing kitchen transformation - it's amazing what a lick of paint can do to change a room.

January 6, 2010 at 1:07 AM  
Blogger pve design said...

I just love a good before and after.
Way to go!

January 6, 2010 at 8:58 AM  
Blogger Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

I love a DIY project. Paint makes the biggest difference!

January 6, 2010 at 9:01 AM  
Blogger nelya said...

You have no idea how timely this post is for me. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was just talking to my husband about painting our kitchen cabinets over breakfast. Actually two days in a row now. This great how-to is indispensable. I can't wait to read your suggestions tomorrow. However did you happen to read my mind, Camila???? ;0)

January 6, 2010 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Melissa Blake said...

Wow, you're amazing!!!

January 6, 2010 at 1:44 PM  
Blogger Lauren said...

what an AWESOME how-to!!! Your mom must be THRILLED!!! Great job & you are such a worker girl!!! awesome. Bookmarking this for sureas a reference!!
xoxoxoxo

January 6, 2010 at 3:36 PM  
Blogger Yansy said...

You did yet again another fantastic job! Love the way it turned out!

January 6, 2010 at 11:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREAT JOB! Paint goes such a long way.. I bet your parents are thrilled. xoRH

January 6, 2010 at 11:49 PM  
Blogger Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What a difference! I am so afraid of painting mine. I really want to redo my island, but ack it is scary.

Looks great!

XOXO
Jen

January 13, 2010 at 12:12 AM  
Blogger Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

SO much better!! I heart paint!!

January 13, 2010 at 12:59 PM  
Anonymous french country furniture said...

The kitchen looks wonderful and was certainly worth all the time you spent making it beautiful. Now I just need to find an outdated kitchen to revamp!

August 20, 2010 at 1:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home