Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tips for Painting Kitchen Cabinets

I think that has to be one of the most original post title’s I’ve ever written. {insert sarcasm here}. Oh well, it’s straight and to the point.

 



Yesterday I showed you a quick kitchen re-vamp.

 



I’m not going to lie I was totally scared of changing this:



DSC02978

 



Into this:



DSC03013

 



I thought it would be super messy, take too long and overall not come out the way I wanted it to, but I was pleasantly surprised.

 



Here are some of my tips that made the job go smoothly.

 



1. Make sure you clean the cabinets. In a kitchen there is a lot of grease and just over dirt that you everyday cleaner is not going to get off. The kitchen hadn’t been remodeled in at least 15 years. We used this.

 



2. Take the doors off! I know some people paint the kitchen cabinets and leave everything as is, but I think it’s best to remove them. You’ll get all the nooks, etc if they are off.

 



You’ll have a couple of days of this, but it’s worth it!



DSC02982 



3. That being said I do think it’s a good idea to paint the inside of the cabinet doors once they are hung. It would have been a complete mess if I had to keep flipping them over. The extra drying time alone would have added an additonal week to my project.

 



4. Organization is KEY! Make a key for yourself in order to remember what doors go where and what color they get painted!



kitchenkey 

This was super easy to do and it helped me keep track of everything! Because I wasn’t painting the inside of the doors until they were hung I was able to make marks on the inside and number all of my doors. It was also helpful since we were doing two different colors.

 



5. Re-purpose what you have.In order to save costs we kept the hinges. To get the look we wanted we simply spray-painted them. The same could be done with existing hardware.I didn’t want to rock the boat so I numbered all of the hinges to match their cabinet door and saved them in envelopes.



envelope

It was an added step, but it didn’t take long and helped me keep all the hinges and screws in one place. 

 



6. Make sure you sand!



DSC02980

I know it seems like a pain, but I think it’s best to do it. A lot of times people have a hard time painting over cabinets because the original color shows through, etc. With the electric sander it’s a super quick job plus if you are working as a team the person behind you can wipe them up quickly so it’s not a huge mess.

 



In between coats I merely hand sanded with a high grit paper (220 grit). This didn’t take long and it was good to check over the cabinets and get rid of any drip marks.

 



7. Pay attention to the details!

 



For some reason there was spacing where the top cabinets met the wall. * It’s driven me crazy for years!



DSC02988

Even with the cabinets painted it still stuck out like a sore thumb. Jon came over to help with the hardware and told me it could be fixed in minutes.

 



Here is what we did:

 



I went out and bought ALEX PLUS PAINTABLE CAULK



DSC02990 



Then we simply applied it by squeezing some out and wiping off the excess:



DSC02991

 



That’s it! It took seconds. I was originally going to fix it with wood filler, but that would have taken longer and required sanding, which I didn’t want to do.



Copy of DSC02992

We waiting 2 hours for it to dry and then did a quick paint touch-up!

 



8. If you are messy painter like me then you must buy Motsenbocker's Lift Off:



Copy of DSC02998

I get paint everywhere! From the top of head to the tips of toes. Not sure how I do it. Must be some sort of talent. Not only do I get it on myself, but I also tend to get it in places were it shouldn’t be like the countertops, floors, etc.

 



It worked wonders and even took paint off my fancy designer jeans! No, I normally don’t paint in nice clothes, but it was on the day we were installing the knobs and someone did a little touch up paint and you know how the story goes.

 



9. Little trick for knob placement!

 



If you are planning on changing the location of the knobs like I did this is a must have:



DSC02985

We got this plastic template at IKEA. {You could also use this}

Since none of the existing holes worked for us we simply made a new one. This made it so easy to install the hardware. No measuring each cabinet door!



DSC02986 DSC02987

 



10. Like Nike says, “ Just do it!”



I not only wanted to do this project to help out Mom, but also to help you all and tell it like it is.

 



Was I tired and complained most of the time while I did it? YES!

 



-But it took less than a week to do.

 



-Since paint has to dry It didn’t take up my whole day.

 



-With my kitchen key and number cabinets and hinges all went smoothly during installation. No missing screws or cabinets not fitting.

 



-Not all of the days were spent painting. I had a break one the first day with just cleaning and sanding and the last day was just an installation.

 



The results were totally worth it. Yes, if I had huge budget I would have gutted that kitchen, but we didn’t have the $$$ for that. So for around $300 bucks we had a new kitchen!

 



Hope these tips work and if you get around to painting your cabinets I would love to see pictures! * Paula that means you! Your hubby must say yes.

Labels: , ,

33 Comments:

Anonymous Laura@JourneyChic said...

Wow - the kitchen looks a million times better! Great step-by-step tips, too. Awesome job!

January 6, 2010 at 12:33 PM  
Blogger Erika Ward said...

Wow, what an undertaking! Great tutorial.

January 6, 2010 at 12:45 PM  
Blogger tiffany said...

Thanks for all the tips! The kitchen looks wonderful and was certainly worth all the time you spent making it beautiful. Now I just need to find an outdated kitchen to revamp!

January 6, 2010 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger Lynett said...

Thanks for the tips! The after look amazing! I was totally cracking up because I to get paint EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

January 6, 2010 at 12:49 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Anytime you take a on a project like that there is always an element of "what if this doesn't work". Just trust yourself and look what you get- fabulous!
That trick Jon used was smart! I also appreciate the tip on the paint remover... I also get paint everywhere.

January 6, 2010 at 1:16 PM  
Blogger Geezees Custom Canvas Art said...

Thanks for the awesome tips...your kitchen looks AMAZING!!!

January 6, 2010 at 1:30 PM  
Blogger ~Chandelier No. 4~ said...

Great follow-up post. Thanks!

~Joanna

January 6, 2010 at 1:46 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

That looks great!! You did a really nice job!!! Thanks for the info!!

January 6, 2010 at 2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ew paid 2,000 several years ago..the guy made a mess and took 2 months...they need re-doing...sooooooooooooooooooooo not having another 2,000...maybe...
but please tell...did you brush? roll? what type of paint? a finish coat? I can't even image doing this...but but but...... maybe?

barbara

January 6, 2010 at 2:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Fantastic! A little paint can go a LONG way! I bet your mom is loving it and is so happy! Nice work Camilla!I always love seeing your projects!

January 6, 2010 at 3:18 PM  
Blogger Gray Skies said...

I'm very impressed by this! You did a great job on such a tight budget.

January 6, 2010 at 4:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never thought of putting Caulk in the spots above the cabinets! Good idea and great work.

Breeanna
www.simplyelegance.org

January 6, 2010 at 6:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

It looks beautiful...what an awesome job. Love the way you walked us through the whole process.

January 6, 2010 at 8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful job! Bravo!

January 6, 2010 at 9:20 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

I am so glad I found this post. I am going to paint our kitchen cabinets this year and reading this was super helpful!

January 7, 2010 at 1:29 AM  
Blogger Tina said...

The kitchen looks fantastic! I love that knob template /gadget, what a great idea!! Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful tips :) You did a great job, I bet your Mum is thrilled with the result :)

January 7, 2010 at 6:19 AM  
Blogger nelya said...

Excellent advice. Thanks Camila. I plan on saving these two posts in my hope-to-do-very-soon file.

January 7, 2010 at 8:04 AM  
Blogger pve design said...

Great tips!
You and hubby make a great team.
pve

January 7, 2010 at 8:17 AM  
Blogger paula said...

I am so saving this tutorial. The hubby is currently "thinking about it". I guess at some point he said that I said no more projects for a while, but that doesn't seem like something I would ever say, ha!

January 7, 2010 at 9:29 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Looks fantastic! We did our cabinets a year ago, they were nice dark wood ones, but dated and no one else wanted me to paint them. We have a small house though, so white cabinets definitely brighton the place up. Lots of work, but definitely worth it!

January 7, 2010 at 11:21 AM  
Blogger Christen said...

Great tips! If I didn't rent I would be doing this this weekend - Lord knows my kitchen needs it!

January 7, 2010 at 1:56 PM  
Blogger Kati @ Housewife_Swagger said...

thank you for the guided step-by-steps! I had no clue that Ikea made the hardware plastic hole thingy! I love what you did to the kitchen!

January 7, 2010 at 7:42 PM  
Anonymous Primo said...

I visited your blog and got good information of kitchen cabinet and related type of goods. I would like to appreciate to my blog and invite you on my website for your feed back. We have a good selection of different type of Kitchen Cabinets and Laminate Flooring in Davie fl where you can Get best quality and low priced kitchen cabinets for giving a nice look your home.

January 25, 2010 at 2:24 AM  
Blogger leenapaul said...

Kitchen cabinets are something you use every day, yet you probably never take the time to appreciate them. They seem simple enough, but there is actually more than plenty involved behind the scenes. There are many things to consider regarding Discount Cabinets refacing, cabinets materials, finishes, door designs, and even information on hardware.

July 6, 2010 at 8:53 AM  
Blogger Yashila said...

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow /Hey thanks man!! you are so good. I think this the perfect work.
Kitchen Cabinets

August 28, 2010 at 3:08 AM  
Blogger Cheyenne said...

I found your blog through google, and have read this post in detail. I appreciate all the little steps you've put in. We are thinking about painting our cabinets and I'm SCARED...

This has helped piles! Thanks!

September 18, 2010 at 1:10 PM  
Anonymous kitchens long island said...

Thanks for sharing. Painting your kitchen cabinets is a great alternative. A new coat of paint can work miracles on those old cabinets.

February 18, 2011 at 4:08 AM  
Anonymous kitchen cabinet finishes said...

I have been checking out a few of your article stories and I must say pretty clever stuff. I will definitely bookmark your blog. Thank you very much.

April 27, 2011 at 10:04 AM  
Anonymous Kitchen Doors said...

Thanks for sharing the useful things and tips. Really awesome sharing.

http://tefore-kitchens.co.uk

May 19, 2011 at 9:36 AM  
Anonymous Refacing Kitchen Cabinet said...

Great tips, thanks for sharing.

November 29, 2011 at 10:23 AM  
Anonymous painting contractors Denver CO said...

Your kitchen cabinets look absolutely stunning. I am not sure I would have been able to do much of this on my own, but I might give it a try. Thank you for sharing! I love the cabinet template!

June 8, 2012 at 5:00 AM  
Blogger primoremodeling said...

Nice!!!!
http://www.primoremodeling.com
Primo Remodeling
You can purchase high quality material like kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets, counter tops, baseboards trim etc. at very low cost.

January 16, 2014 at 10:38 PM  
Blogger primoremodeling said...

Nice!!!

http://www.primoremodeling.com
Primo Remodeling
You can purchase high quality material like kitchen cabinets, bathroom cabinets, counter tops, baseboards trim etc. at very low cost.

January 26, 2014 at 2:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home