Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Tassels and Ribbons and Trim oh my….

Normally when one thinks of trim stores in NYC thoughts of MJ Trimming dance in your head.

 



From just a glimpse of the outside you can already tell it’s going to be a good day when you enter.



mjtrimshop 



A look inside and you are certain you are going to find the ribbon that completes you:



mjtriminside



Pure heaven seeing row after row of colorful trims:



mjtrimribbon



When my dear friend Caitlin mentioned going to another shop that use to be her favorite in the city I jumped at the chance.

 



Off we went yesterday on a trip that started out on the UES then we stopped in the Bronx and finally arrived in Brooklyn to K Trimming.

 

K Trimming has been in business since 1965. They provide trim for many high-end designer names and have two warehouses full of product in Brooklyn!

 



Now we should have realized when we entered the shop that we would be in for an adventure. Upon entering we were met with darkness, empty shelves and a cat that magically appeared and turned me into a scardy cat. We yelled for help/assistance and got no response. So, what did we do? Oh enter a door that said DO NOT ENTER.

 



Good thing we did, because we were finally able to meet with someone and were told that they did still have some vintage trim upstairs and we could go take a peek.

 



Off we went past more empty shelves that had buttons and tassles thrown about as if someone had left in quite a rush. Up the scary stairwell we went in the hopes that we would actually find something. We even said some final words to each other just in case!

 



Here is what we saw when we got to the 2nd floor:



DSC03232 



It just went on and on. Box on top of box!



DSC03233

 



I finally found a worker who was very helpful and nice. We got to chatting and when we told him we were looking for ribbon he pointed us in the direction of a ribbon room.

 



Ah a look of relief went over our faces. We must have been looking in the wrong place. This is where we will see all the pretty ribbon on display.



DSC03234



Okay it was a bit better, but not really.

 



Now even though it was a bit messy and freezing I would actually go back again. I wanted nothing more than to hang around there for hours and go through every single box.

 



I found something in the beginning of our hunt that I knew needed to come home with me.



caneribbon



Isn’t is pretty? We stumbled upon huge rolls of vintage cane/lattice ribbon in pink, yellow and brown. I picked up that roll of pink for…….drumroll please $15!

 



I knew the exact place for them! My DIY drop cloth curtains in my new office that needed a little glam!



DSC03237

 



With just some basic fabric glue I was in business:



caneribbononcurtain



I’m in love. It works perfectly in the space. Now I just have to finish 6 more panels! I was so excited to share the look with you all though that after I finished one this morning I made Jon hold it up like a human curtain rod (that’s his shadow behind the curtain) so that I could take some pictures!

 



Close up of the trim:



DSC03241



If you are ever in the NY area and want to venture out to find your own treasures let me know! I will come with you! There is safety in numbers..jk…kinda, but no seriously the place is harmless just really messy.

 



Images 1-3 via Martha Stewart, Images 4-10 via moi!

Labels: ,

37 Comments:

Blogger Kori said...

Wow! It's like ribbon heaven...omg. Would love to visit! Kori xoxo

March 10, 2010 at 11:17 AM  
Blogger Fargerike Dagny said...

OMG, love it!! Will definitely try to put it on the list for the next NY trip! :)

March 10, 2010 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Design Esquire said...

Holy smokes! Thank goodness you kept plowing ahead - you got a great deal!

March 10, 2010 at 11:27 AM  
Blogger Marija said...

I kept waiting for the part of the story where you said this place had closed up shop. Can't believe it functions like that but hey - whatever works! A diamond in the rough as they say :) Great find on your trim!!

Marija

March 10, 2010 at 11:51 AM  
Blogger Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Love it!!! You have such a great eye.

xo,
cristin

March 10, 2010 at 12:20 PM  
Blogger Tammy@InStitches said...

Wow, that's a lot of ribbon for $15.

March 10, 2010 at 12:43 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

What an awesome adventure! I bet there is gold in those boxes. Trim gold, that is. I would love to go through those boxes sometime.

I love that your DH is holding up the curtain for you. That's totally something I would do. :)

March 10, 2010 at 12:46 PM  
Blogger Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Oh my gosh. I want to go there! Love your find!

March 10, 2010 at 12:52 PM  
Blogger LindsB said...

In love- it is the perfect frosting you needed for the already beautiful curtains, I cant wait to see them all done!

March 10, 2010 at 12:55 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Ha! What an adventure! That's some gorgeous ribbon you found! And I love that you made your husband act as a curtain rod.. ;)

March 10, 2010 at 1:06 PM  
Anonymous Marcie said...

You may have said this in another post, but i have to know what the name of that fabric on your chair!

March 10, 2010 at 1:17 PM  
Blogger Averill said...

LOVE that trim you found; it's perfect for your office. I'm thinking about going the cheap-o premade panels route for curtains and then dressing them up with great trim...it's amazing how big a different it makes!

March 10, 2010 at 1:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

LOVE THIS. it works so perfectly with the chair on the fabric. you are a genius!

March 10, 2010 at 1:42 PM  
Blogger Jeannine | The Small and Chic Home said...

I LOVE the store, but holy fire trap upstairs! That's scary stuff!

I LOVE the ribbon! I did my own project like this back in December, adding bright yellow grosgrain to black and white damask panels. I was so proud of myself (I don't sew well). I love the combo you're doing.

March 10, 2010 at 2:14 PM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

That one place is scary but the trim turned out great!

March 10, 2010 at 2:27 PM  
Blogger Jaime @ laviejaime said...

I have always wanted to go there! I would buy so much lol

March 10, 2010 at 2:44 PM  
Blogger Kelly Green said...

All those boxes are a bit creepy I agree - but to know they were hiding such a gem....well i'd be back as quick as a flash! Love that ribbon trim!!!! KG

March 10, 2010 at 4:01 PM  
Anonymous Tricia Rose said...

I will DEFINITELY bookmark that shop for the next time I am in New York - thanks for the tip!

March 10, 2010 at 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Amy said...

Haha, what a scary warehouse! Although sometimes the best finds are in dives, so good work-very cute ribbon!
Amy

March 10, 2010 at 4:29 PM  
Blogger mkelton24 said...

WOw-what a MESS! I would not even know where to begen-but GREAT find. It is amazing what a little ribbon, and tassel and trim can do!!

March 10, 2010 at 6:02 PM  
Blogger Hamptontoes said...

You found an amazing trim, but I don't think I would have continued my journey once I saw that mess! If I don't find what I'm looking for at the D & D Bldg, then I always venture to M & J Trim...it is amazing! Great find on the trim. Love reading the story...it was fun!

March 10, 2010 at 6:35 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Wow!!!! Love what you chose for the curtains!!

March 10, 2010 at 9:29 PM  
Blogger Meredith said...

i love your chair in the last picture - did you make that?

March 10, 2010 at 9:31 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

LOVE that ribbon. It looks exactly like the fabric I used in my "Palm Springs preppy" mood board: http://sweetiepiepumpkinnoodle.blogspot.com/2010/03/personal-style-defined-preppy.html

I pretty much love anything with a caning/lattice print on it. It looks so great on your curtains!

March 10, 2010 at 9:33 PM  
Blogger alison giese Interiors said...

Score! What a unique trim - love it!

March 10, 2010 at 9:36 PM  
Blogger Roeshel said...

WHOA! Heaven! I am addicted to pretty ribbon. Do they have a sampler deal - one of everything? lol Your accent to the curtain is gorgeous!

:)

Roeshel

March 10, 2010 at 9:47 PM  
Blogger KSK said...

Super cute...I love that hot pink cane trim! Great choice.

March 11, 2010 at 1:51 AM  
Blogger Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

quite an adventure but was worth it at the end! it works amazingly well with your curtains!

March 11, 2010 at 7:10 AM  
Anonymous Bailey @ peppermintbliss said...

Umm MJ? I want to go to there.
The other place? Not so much. I think I would have run out with my tail between my legs after the 2nd floor, but that is why you find amazeballs ribbon for $15 and I do not.

March 11, 2010 at 10:24 AM  
Anonymous Lauren said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog, hope the warm weather stays-I cannot do more snow! You have such a lovely blog too-I'm obsessed with that pink cane/lattice ribbon, good find!

March 11, 2010 at 4:01 PM  
Blogger Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

sketch!!! way to put your big girl panties on and get in there! love that new trim on the curtains!

March 11, 2010 at 10:10 PM  
Blogger bluehydrangea said...

That is my kind of place!! Love the trim on your curtains!!! I can't believe they are actually opened for business looking like that!!?? Some people...

March 12, 2010 at 7:21 AM  
Blogger Janaan said...

I love finding treasures! Sometimes all that work makes the end result so much sweeter.

March 12, 2010 at 11:43 AM  
Blogger Elena said...

I loved MJ Trimming, but found them to be kinda pricey, especially their buttons and other accessories. I liked Daytona Trimmings better pricewise for basic solid ribbon and special jacquard ribbons. I've also heard So Good, Inc is really good, but they have really short hours, so I've never been there.

Good for you for continuing to look in that mess! Lord knows I've been in some scary places in NYC looking for that special treasure at a bargain price. I'll add this one to my list for my annual visit in May.

What kind of fabric glue did you use? I want to do this with white duck cloth curtains and blue grosgrain ribbon...would the glue show through onto the grosgrain??

March 12, 2010 at 5:37 PM  
Anonymous Sarah said...

I think someone else asked as well...but what is the fabric on your chair? It is fabulous!

March 12, 2010 at 11:50 PM  
Anonymous traci zeller designs said...

I cannot wait to see the finished office. Sooo super cute!

March 17, 2010 at 1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

www.allysbazaar.com Beautiful woven jacquard ribbon!

April 16, 2010 at 10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home