Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Striped floors…

My latest DIY project that I want to tackle in the house is my kitchen floor.

 



I’ve been dreaming of round penny tile, but my dream comes with a rather large price tag so for the time being I’ve been trying to think of an inexpensive fix.

 



My mind has been wandering to stripes.

 



In this tiny kitchen it looks like a simple rug was used to get the desired effect. My kitchen is a bit larger so I don’t think this would work for me.



striped kitchen floor via  simply seleta 



Totally in love with these black and wood stripes and that coat of high gloss on top of it, but in my space black would be too severe.



stripedkitchenfloorapartmenttherapy 



These stripes were done with linoleum tiles. Now I was okay with this idea, but Jon’s not too happy of having to apply tiles to only remove them in a couple of months when we do tile.



stripedkitchenfloordesignsponge



I love the white wash stripes in this kitchen.



stripedkitchenfloorsit'sgreattobehome 



Ah the picture that started my obsession! This kitchen belongs to Nora Fleming. Her wood floor was beat up so she decided to cover some of the damage up with white painted stripes.



stripedkitchenfloornorafleamingdesignsponge



Now since I know tile floors are in the near future I really don’t want to make a huge mess in my kitchen with sanding, etc. But all of these pictures from above really have me wanting to try it out. Perhaps I’ll love it so much that I won’t want tile!

 



I think I have thought of a solution to my sanding problem. I’m going to test out a small area and see how it goes and then I’ll report back to you!

 



What do you have in your kitchen? Is it tile, wood, linoleum? Have you ever painted the floor? Any tips?

 



Images via 1.Simply Seleta, 2. AT, 3. Design Sponge, 4. It's Great to be Home, 5. Design Sponge

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Blogger LindsB said...

This sounds like a great plan- I think stripes would be perfect.

Let us know how the test goes

April 28, 2010 at 11:12 AM  
Blogger Julie said...

I have always adored that first picture!

April 28, 2010 at 11:15 AM  
Blogger Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife said...

You have inspired me...I'm definitely going to paint some of our floors black & white striped!

April 28, 2010 at 11:16 AM  
Blogger Jen said...

I loved striped floors...I know that you will but please keep us updated with what you decide!!

April 28, 2010 at 11:17 AM  
Anonymous amanda said...

Yes, I have painted floors (specifically the steps up to our attic loft, we couldn't afford to do anything with them, so I painted them. Use porch floor paint for greatest durability.

April 28, 2010 at 11:20 AM  
Blogger Suzanne@Meridian Road said...

We have a painted floor in our laundry room. We used paint specifically made for floors, and we used two coats of primer first. It's held up well. It's just plain white, but I'm thinking of doing a checkerboard pattern.

It will be fun to see what you do!

April 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

I love the painted stripes look too. In fact I have that last photo in my "I love" file. I'm scared to ruin good floors with paint though. Maybe someday I'll be adventurous.

April 28, 2010 at 11:25 AM  
Blogger bryn alexandra said...

Oh my gosh! I've been thinking about painting the kitchen floors in our new house, too! They are linoleum (yuck), and eventually someday we'll lay new hardwoods. So I thought why not in the mean time paint them? I think I'll just do solid. Not sure what color... maybe blue!

April 28, 2010 at 11:40 AM  
Blogger Hamptontoes said...

We have marble floors, but that is because that is what was here when we moved in. I love painted/stained striped floors! Also, a fellow blogger tagged me yesterday to repost my sixth photo from my blog. A way to look back and see what we were up to then...I tagged you as one of my six. Join in if you wish.

April 28, 2010 at 11:44 AM  
Blogger Kerry said...

We have wood floors that are pretty old, but I love them... except for the colour. I've suggested painting the floors, but I think we'll wait until we actually redo the kitchen & come up with a plan then. Looking forward to an update on this little test / project!

April 28, 2010 at 11:47 AM  
Blogger bluehydrangea said...

go for it!! I painted my kitchen floor in a plaid pattern and I love it!! Stripes would look fantastic!

April 28, 2010 at 11:54 AM  
Blogger Christina said...

well, we still rent, so the kitchen floor is off limits (but it's hardwood so i'm not too worried about it). i love these ideas you've posted and i'm sure whatever you decide will be excellent.

April 28, 2010 at 11:55 AM  
Blogger Milltini said...

I love anything with stripes! Let us know how it turns out!

April 28, 2010 at 12:00 PM  
Blogger Marija said...

We have wood. Love the look, hate the maintenance (mostly bc it is very very dark). Would love to see more stripes...go for it! Also totally interested in seeing blue hydrangea's plaid!

April 28, 2010 at 1:09 PM  
Blogger Melissa said...

I've painted wood in the past, and I'm in the process of giving every room in our upstairs a fresh face with painted floors. Prime- two coats! Use a template for your design if you do squares/diamonds (I learned this the hard way. My lines were crooked and I couldn't see it until the entire thing had been painted!) I've heard good things about Verathane for a sealer-- mine yellowed with a regular poly the last time we painted, and I want to avoid it this time!

April 28, 2010 at 1:32 PM  
Blogger monique said...

fabulous idea! i just get nervous about painting wood floors..can not wait to see what you do!

April 28, 2010 at 2:06 PM  
Blogger Scientific Housewife said...

We have tile in our kitchen and I love how easy it is to clean.

April 28, 2010 at 2:12 PM  
Blogger Sami Jo said...

I have wood floors in my kitchen original from 1943 and they are hideous (or however you spell it) Anyhow, I've been thinking a stripe is just what my doctor ordered but my husband says his doctor says otherwise :( Good Luck and can't wait to see what you decide. Toodles, The Lady

April 28, 2010 at 3:39 PM  
Blogger Fargerike Dagny said...

My laundry room just got black and white striped tiles ;) Will post the after pics by the end of next week (hopefully)

April 28, 2010 at 3:59 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love striped floors... these are all fantastic.

April 28, 2010 at 5:04 PM  
Blogger Wanderings of a Wannabe said...

love striped floors!!

April 28, 2010 at 5:24 PM  
Blogger Joi said...

My love for that last photo is insane. We have a whole sheet of linoleum and it drives me batty. I want it out!

April 28, 2010 at 6:40 PM  
Anonymous carol@The Design Pages said...

I painted the wooden floor in my daughter's bedroom lavender and it looked great. We were advised by our Benjamin Moore rep to NOT use a primer but just clean first. Held up well I must say and saved us a step.

April 28, 2010 at 11:17 PM  
Blogger carlee {deliciously organized} said...

I love this idea and the last image is divine!

April 29, 2010 at 4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home