Monday, January 12, 2009

Into the woods...

Lately my favorite shelter magazines have slowly been disappearing. I like many others am still mourning the loss of Cottage Living and now most recently Country Home. I was thrilled this evening when I got home and saw that I had received my most recent copy of Country Living. (*I then immediately got huffy, because my Domino magazine still hasn't arrived. I know the second I go pick it up at the bookstore it will be waiting for me at home! So I'm going to wait a little bit longer before I run out and pick up a copy. Ok rant over)

Country Living did not disappoint this month and I was happy to see that they were showcasing their 2009 House of the Year. In the mountaintops of West Virginia there is now a new grand addition. Taking it's cue from nature Tom Tretheway the designer builder went a new route and built up instead of horizontally in order to follow the lines of the red spruce that surround the home.

This arts and crafts style retreat was built in just six months by the Country Living team and one lucky reader that won a contest and got to get her say in the master bedroom! Lucky lady.

Here are some pics of the new home:

Exterior Shot


Great Room: I love the pop of color with that amazing shade of blue. It's also great to see the marriage of some modern elements giving this Country retreat a lovely twist.


Dining Nook


Open Kitchen


Bathroom. I love everything about this room. I have full on tub envy!


Contest Winner Bedroom. I'm not loving everything in this room, but I do LOVE the lamps. I've been dying to do this in a room. Just beautiful and it gives you more space on your night stand.



Industrial Windows. I'm not sure exactly where this goes in the house, but I love them!




If you want to learn more about the house there is going to be a TV special on the DIY Network Jan 15th and 18th.

Anyone know what happens to the house after they are done? Does it just go on the market? What a fun open house that would be.

7 Comments:

Blogger LindsB said...

I'm loving some elements of this house, and not loving others. I do love those windows, I could picture them in a two story foyer or family room, with the windows opening up to a great room above, it would be so pretty! Great post!

January 13, 2009 at 8:33 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

I feel the same way as you guys. Some things about it are amazing but the bedroom did get a little too silly for me. (Although I did call my husband over when I was reading the article to check out the nightstand chandeliers- how pretty & functional are they?!) And that bathroom is perfection. Love the living room too & the pops of color in the chairs.

And I'm still SO SAD about Cottage Living. It really was my favroite & I don't know where to go without it. :( Right now I'm doing Domino, Country Living & House Beautiful... but nothing's giving me exactly what Cottage Living had-ah vell!

January 13, 2009 at 8:55 AM  
Blogger Maria Killam said...

Oh my god, I love, love, love, those wingback turquise chairs! Now thats a colour you don't see too often on those kind of chairs! Great post!

January 13, 2009 at 11:19 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Those windows are so cool!

January 13, 2009 at 11:35 AM  
Blogger No.35style said...

Love those blue chairs and those windows!

January 13, 2009 at 8:00 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

All the light fixtures in this house are beyond gorgeous!! Love love love. And those windows are another bonus. Great house and this will be another deeply missed mag!

January 15, 2009 at 11:09 AM  
Blogger Julia @ Hooked on Houses said...

I hadn't seen your post about the Country Living House of the Year, so thanks for telling me about it. I enjoyed reading your thoughts and those of your readers. Glad I'm not the only one who had mixed feelings about it. I thought parts of it were really lovely, but there were other things I'd have to change if I lived there. I think the kitchen would be the first thing on my list to tackle. Just too dark for me with all that wood.

P.S. Love your blog! :-)

March 17, 2009 at 10:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home